The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bn Royal Sussex Regiment

Ilbury Welsh

I have been researching a soldier from this battalion who died of wounds on the 7th July 1916. My first thought was he might have been wounded on the 1st July but having searched Soldiers Died for the 8th Bn from the 1st June through to the 15th July I can see this may still be true, but not in any major offensive as there were just 15 killed throughout the regiment that day.

Can anyone with access to war diaries confirm what the 8th Bn were doing on the days leading up to the 1st July and the following week in case he was wounded on the days between the 1st and the 7th July.

He was No. G/1763 Private Richard Lee.

Many thanks in advance.....John

Name: LEE, R. Rank: Private

Service No: G/1763. Date of Death: 07/07/1916. Age: 33

Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment. 8th Bn.

Grave Reference: I. A. 19. Cemetery: DAOURS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Additional Information: Son of Mary Feast, of Clay Lane, Fishbourne, Chichester.

Name: Richard Lee. Birth Place: Fishbourne, Sussex. Death Date: 7 Jul 1916

Death Location: British Expeditionary Force. Enlistment Location: Chichester

Rank: Private. Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment. Battalion: 8th Battalion. Number: G/1763

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Medal Index Card shows Entry into France 24 July 1915, so entitled to 1915 Star as well as British War and Victory medals.

In 1911, Maria Feast is a widow, living in New Fishbourne with some of her 12 children, 11 still alive in 1911.

States married 35 years so Richard would have been her child, and presumably to Mr Feast, as Richard was 33 at the time of his death in 1916. Unsure at the moment why he used the name "Lee". In 1901 her husband is a Walter Purnell Feast and marriage 3rd Qtr 1876 registered in Westhampnett..

Back to 1881 and Maria and Walter appear to have Elizabeth aged 4 as their eldest child, putting marriage at about 1876, so 35 years of marriage in 1911 just about fits.... but where does Richard?

Of course, I may have the wrong family altogether!

Kevin, thank you for taking the trouble to reply. I have in fact seen his MIC, Soldiers Died entry and CWGC and had started to look at the genealogy side but was more interested at this stage to know what the 8th were up to at that time. If anyone else can help I would be obliged...many thanks John

When I next go the West Sussex Records Office, I will have a look for you, they have copies of the Royal Sussex war diaries. Should be going in the next couple of weeks.

Mandy

Hi John

I have been to the Records Office today, good news, the War Diary shows that Richard was wounded on the 3rd July and was in B Coy. The diary also shows that on the 1st July that B Coy formed part of the Batt. reserve, they marched from Bray at 8.30am to Carnoy arriving at 10.30am. At 6.30 nos 5,7 and 8 Plats proceeded to work on repairing the Carnoy-Montauban Road where they worked till 1.30am.

PM me your email address, I have some photocopies from the diary covering the 1st to 3rd and the appendix with his name. I'm afraid it's only a typescript copy because West Sussex Records Office won't produce the originals.

Mandy