Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Cemeteries

Amor

Hi,

I have been reading several books recently about the great battles which took place in 1918 and in particular the actions of the British Divisions in the Battles of the Chemins des Dames and 2nd Battle of the Marne. Making the over simplistic assumption that the Western Front spread from the area around Nieuwpoort on the Belgian Coast to the Swiss border and headed in a mainly south eastern direction - where is the British Military Cemetery or Communal Extension located which is closest to the Swiss border containing the graves of British Servicemen from WW1?

Rgds,

Alex

Do you mean completely CWGC or any cemetery that contains British graves (such as the French Necropole Nationale at Cernay (just under 23 miles from the exact spot that the French line ended on the Swiss border) which contains a solitary British headstone (Dvr.G.F.Bond of 94 Battery, RFA who died in December 1918)?

If its a completely CWGC cemetery you are looking for, then I think I'd hazard a guess at it being the communal cemetery extension at Neuf-Brisach (a fascinatingly designed town thanks to Vauban!) which contains the graves of 35 British PoWs who were originally buried in a German cemetery at Lutterbach. This is 41 miles from the 'end of the line'.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I was curious to try and determine which British Serviceman could be buried closest to the Swiss border. You may well have answered that question and shown me where the closest CWGC site is as well.

Both of these sites are much further south than any of my battlefield jaunts have taken me previously.

Rgds,

Alex