Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smoking 'Damp Herb' was it hash ?

T8HANTS

In one of the Imperial War Museums recorded interviews a young officers remembers that sometime after the 3rd Battle of Gaza, tobacco was in short supply for his Battalion. To slate their cravings some of his fellow officers took to smoking what he describes as 'Damp Herb'. He then paints a delightful picture of a very happy Adjutant lying on his back, smoking a roll up made from newspaper, with the juice running down his chin.

It is easy to allow imagination to run away here, so I was wondering if anyone knows what Middle Eastern 'damp herb' is.

Gareth

Gareth, I cant help with the answer, but put me down for 'half ounce' when you find out :w00t:

And advancing very slowly on the enemy muttering 'peace and love'?

:thumbsup: I bet when he got the 'munchies' his rations didn't quite hit the spot.

Damp Herb is Cannabis, Wind Damp Herb is a Chinese fungus that achieves much the same result as Imodium, it is important not to get the two mixed up.

According to an on-line site which gives a time-line for Marijuana and Cannabis use/abuse, by the early 1900's Hashish smoking became very popular throughout the Middle East. It does not however, expand on the regions ability to deal with diarrhea :blink: