Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Uniforms Please

jacobhendry

Hi everyone

I've been around the site for some time now and seen how hekpful it has been for people. I now need some help myself. I'm trying to identify these 2 photos and the uniforms being worn, one of which is my grandfather.

The first photo I know really doesn't have much to go on, as far as I can see there appears to be no insignia at all. The second one hopefully will be indentifable by one of you chaps.

Thanks in advance for any help

post-83612-0-14501600-1347646664_thumb.j

post-83612-0-12151300-1347646672_thumb.j

Hi everyone

I've been around the site for some time now and seen how hekpful it has been for people. I now need some help myself. I'm trying to identify these 2 photos and the uniforms being worn, one of which is my grandfather.

The first photo I know really doesn't have much to go on, as far as I can see there appears to be no insignia at all. The second one hopefully will be indentifable by one of you chaps.

Nothing evident in first photo to help identify regiment. The second is undoubtedly a piper of the Black Watch wearing a kilt of Royal Stuart tartan. Do you have a date for either of these photos?

Are the three wearing rifle buttons?

The butttons on the front of the frocks/jackets are the same size as those on the pockets FWIW which is unusal and might suggest something other than standard issue.

Thanks for the quick replies. In the first photo the chap on the left is my grandfather, and the other 2 are possibly his brothers. They were both in the KOSB and were killed in 1917 so if they are his brothers it is sometime before October '17 - although my mum thinks her father was possibly in the Army Service Corps. The second photo I've no idea about - although it supposedly came from my mum's mum's house there are no family reports of anyone in the Black Watch - but my dad's family were BW so I wonder if it has been mixed up. He's defintely a relative as he is the image of one of my cousins.

Thanks for the quick replies. In the first photo the chap on the left is my grandfather, and the other 2 are possibly his brothers. They were both in the KOSB and were killed in 1917 so if they are his brothers it is sometime before October '17 - although my mum thinks her father was possibly in the Army Service Corps. The second photo I've no idea about - although it supposedly came from my mum's mum's house there are no family reports of anyone in the Black Watch - but my dad's family were BW so I wonder if it has been mixed up. He's defintely a relative as he is the image of one of my cousins.

Does the script on the lower right of the second photo spell out "Father?"

The BW piper is not a regular and is either a TF or Service Bn soldier. A regular piper would be wearing a brass cantled sporran.

It does say father and my mum and I are "discussing this" as to whose writing this is. She thinks that it's her mothers but I don't agree. Now that you've said BW I'm beginning to think that it may in fact be my dad's grandfather. He was a regular, coming out in 1913 after 28 years and went back in in 1915, although he was a drummer. There is a number written on the back, "4088 Piper J", but that number (if it is a service number) is neither of hisand he was an Alfred. Will check the photo with dad tomorrow.

Thanks

The butttons on the front of the frocks/jackets are the same size as those on the pockets FWIW which is unusal and might suggest something other than standard issue.

This is actually suprisingly common when worn on KD. Given they would have been removable for ease of washing I have always suspected it was generally easier on a standard jacket to simply issue and maintain a set of 9 buttons of the pocket/epaulette size than to issue a set of 5 large and 4 small. Of course the latter was also done, and photos exist of the two styles being worn side by side, eg post 37:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66470&st=25

I've just checked the number 4088 and knowing nothing about Scottish regiments may have searched the wrong unit so apologies in advance if the Black Watch weren't Royal Highlanders.

If it is a service number I found the following:

3/4088 Pte. Allan Aldwell

4088 Pte. David Scott

4088 Pte. James McAinsh

4088 Pte. Robert R Yule

All Royal Highlanders except for David Scott who was Scottish Horse.

Tony

Thanks for that, yes they are.

I've double checked the photo against other known ones and it definitely is my mum's grandfather. Thing is, no-one has any recollection of hearing about him being in the Black Watch. Had a quick check on ancestry but nothing there so that has us stumped somewhat!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

in the first photograph they are wearing the First pattern Simplified KD which was introduced. March 1915, so must be post that date :)