Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone I.D. this small cannon?

Tom W.

The soldiers with Centurion's mortar or gun appear to be Belgian actually although the Lion Mask on the helmet isn't too clear. Can't help with the gun.- SW

The soldiers with Centurion's mortar or gun appear to be Belgian actually although the Lion Mask on the helmet isn't too clear. Can't help with the gun.- SW

Except I think that their great coats are not standard Belgian pattern.

If you look closely at the right hand man you can see that the muzzle of his rifle just above his helmet has the piling "prong" of the French Lebel rifle. The Belgian Mauser does not have this.

Regards

TonyE

Having delved further the drawing appears to be of the Krupp trench howitzer on it's travelling carriage.

The photo I posted is in fact of the French 75mm Schneider trench mortar. For a good photo of it on this carriage and being moved by a French crew see page 51 of Mortars by Ian V Hogg.

Having delved further the drawing appears to be of the Krupp trench howitzer on it's travelling carriage.

You're right. Here's a link to photos and data:

http://books.google....owitzer&f=false

It's funny because other sources--such as Saunders' Weapons of the Trench War 1914-1918--claim that the image of the howitzer with the round shell in place was a fantasy of ill-informed journalists.

Hi,

indeed Belgian soldiers in post nr.2

Cnock

But a French mortar which is all I originally said

You're right. Here's a link to photos and data:

http://books.google....owitzer&f=false

It's funny because other sources--such as Saunders' Weapons of the Trench War 1914-1918--claim that the image of the howitzer with the round shell in place was a fantasy of ill-informed journalists.

And in a way they are right as such journalists usually portrayed it (with out any indication of scale) as a gigantic siege machine capable of flattening cities