Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Fusilier insignia

wulsten

Two pictures of the same chap who served in the Royal Fusiliers, does the insignia or cap badges denote any particular Battalion etc, and are the diaginal stripes on the cuff wound stripes, any info appreciated, Geoff

Cheers Eddie, i believe this could be one of two individuals a George Frederick Shenton served 1875 Royal Fusiliers later 365794 576th Labour corps (overseas 31 5 15)

or Herbert Bell 40082 Royal Fusiliers later 105th Labour corps 62428, so trying to narrow down Herbert served after 1915 i believe

Wound stripes were not authorised until mid 1918 so the r/h photograph could not have been taken before that.

Edit: That should be 1916 not 1918 - see Andrew Upton's following post for the link to the relevant AO's.

Wound stripes were not authorised until mid 1918 so the r/h photograph could not have been taken before that.

Mid 1916 actually:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27941&hl=%22wounded+stripe%22

Im afraid we have very little info to go on apart from the two RFus chaps were brother in laws, Shenton was entitled to the trio and Bell the Pair, Shenton later served with the 576th Coy Labour Corps, we tried to research them prior to this thread, however these photographs have just been located, Geoff

• 1 month later...
Guest Mungo Murray

Why might the chap in this pic be wearing mounted pattern breeches? Were any of them horsed?

I ask because I have a photo which purports to be a Royal Fusilier KIA 7 Oct 1918 but he is wearing spurs?

Edit: That should be 1916 not 1918 - see Andrew Upton's following post for the link to the relevant AO's.

Curses! Thought I hadjer!