Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N&M Press Trench Map software and DVD

Tom Lang

Tom

We have already established that you cannot save a file directly as a jpeg but all you have to do is save it first as a bmp and then resave it as a jpeg and Marjorie has acknowledged this in her various posts and links. it is not difficult to do. Life is short, Move on.

Roger

Roger,

I have already explained throughout this thread that all I wanted to do was to grab a small part of a map to include in a digital dossier regarding my grandfathers service in WW1.

Having discovered that, with the N&M product up and running, the W7 Snipping Tool was disabled.

So I tried to save a map as a .jpg (a .bmp is too big) with the intention of 'previewing' it in Windoze Explorer.

That's when I found that I couldn't save a .jpg file.

Having exited the N&M product I then found that the W7 Snipping Tool would not run.

I had to reboot my PC to restore the functionality of the W7 Snipping Tool.

I put 2 + 2 together and contacted the company via email. Finally, on the telephone I was accused of trying to steal the N&M software.

That was strange - why would I want to make copies of software that doesn't work?

N&M have refused to refund my money.

My efforts here are to make any members, who are unaware (as I was), to be aware of the issues with this product.

It is bad enough to have spent £145.00 + £7.70 (shipping), to find 'problems', to be accused of stealing, and then be asked by you to "move on".

This is a forum and if I have said anything untrue, please show this.

I have also discovered that I am not alone in finding the merits of the N&M Customer Service.

I also ask that you don't try to 'muzzle' my message to others.

Shooting the messenger is never a good thing, but I'd love to hear your comments by trying to shoot my message.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Thank you Roger - I wholeheartedly agree.

Tom - as you still don't appear to have use of your snipping tool, I have used mine. From stating that they support jpg, I can only assume that you mean this:

post-70679-0-41263800-1371984986_thumb.p

In which case they are in fact correct, they do support jpg and the snipping tool is not disabled as you can see here:

post-70679-0-09510600-1371985259_thumb.p

As you can see, I have now used the snipping tool twice. Please read on in the post that follows

TBC...

Now that we have established that they open a jpg as they claim they can do (see previous - as I have used a jpg), lets take a look at something else. The known limitations:

post-70679-0-01625300-1371985622_thumb.p

Let us also consider that ER is a standalone programme that has been utilised by N & M for use with their product and as such I have demonstrated that using it in isolation it will do what it claims to do. It is not exclusive to N & M. The WFA with their discs offer it too. I did not run the version that came with WFA as the N & M state that their product will only work with the version from their cd. Taking this information into account, I would not want to nor would I recommend downloading any add-ons from the ER site as this too might compromise the running of the N & M product

I am sure someone with your level of IT skills can now work out who/what is causing the problem. Here endeth the reading.

Good luck - should you decide to pursue it further

Marjorie,

So you are able to run the ER-Viewer independently - excellent.

I too can run the ER-Viewer independently in conjunction with the W7 Snipping Tool.

But I asked you to run the N&M software and attempt to save a .jpg file and post your results - that's when you'll find a problem with the N&M software (not the ER-Viewer).

(The N&M software runs the ER-Viewer internally - not independently).

My claim is that the N&M software disables the W7 Snipping Tool, but on exit does not re-enable it.

I want to use the W7 Snipping Tool (a Mickey$oft product) in conjunction with anything installed on my PC - it is part of Windoze!

You have pointed also to saving compressed files - I don't want compressed anything.

Here's my example:

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

post-87018-0-06019500-1372003640_thumb.j

I have to say that on balance I agree with Tom's annoyance of N&M. My story is not that similar, but.....

I had the original version of N&M 'Trench maps' that I ran on a VISTA PC. You could save maps as .jpg (and I'm pretty sure as .tiffs too) and I personally prefer large and high resolution images that I can crop at will in photoshop.

It got to the point that I could no longer justify keeping this 'old' PC going (it was also on its last legs and I'm primarily a MAC user anyway). So I junked it and the trench maps DVD.

After 12 months of no trench maps (desperation :w00t: ), I needed to reinvest !!!, so I bought the new version (~£90) and am running it on a 'VISTA Business' Sony Lab top (almost on its last legs too!)

I was therefore VERY disappointed that I could no longer save as .jpg/.tiff from the new DVD :angry2: but will work with .bmp as necessary (so not all bad I guess).

So these are my thoughts:-

1) I bought the new Trench maps DVD last month for £90ish, does that mean N&D have realised that there are some issues with compatibility and are planning to issue a 'new' version and selling the old stock off cheap?

2) I can't understand why N&D would be happy for you to save maps as .bmp (and not as .jpg et al) if it was a copyright issue??? And also N&M should not be copyright police for the National Archives, you can photograph any NA documents at will in Kew.

3) There are clearly some issues with this trench map DVD, but I've taken a very pragmatic view and decided that a digital image of any kind is better than none at all.

cheers

Mike

I just found this on TNA website concerning their copyright policy:

"Most public records in The National Archives are in Crown Copyright.

There are no restrictions on the use of copies for non-commercial research or private study.

Copies, and copies of those copies, may be made and used for education purposes.

This covers both teaching and preparation for teaching and/or examination by either teacher or student."

http://www.nationala...cordcopying.htm

So that covers me and allows me to make digital copies to put into a digital dossier to teach my grandson about his g/g/grandfather.

It has taken 95 years since the death of my grandfather to put this dossier together, but my grandson can 'read all about it' at the click of a button when he's ready (he's 5 now).

Kindest Regards.

I have to say that on balance I agree with Tom's annoyance of N&M. My story is not that similar, but.....

I had the original version of N&M 'Trench maps' that I ran on a VISTA PC. You could save maps as .jpg (and I'm pretty sure as .tiffs too) and I personally prefer large and high resolution images that I can crop at will in photoshop.

It got to the point that I could no longer justify keeping this 'old' PC going (it was also on its last legs and I'm primarily a MAC user anyway). So I junked it and the trench maps DVD.

After 12 months of no trench maps (desperation :w00t: ), I needed to reinvest !!!, so I bought the new version (~£90) and am running it on a 'VISTA Business' Sony Lab top (almost on its last legs too!)

I was therefore VERY disappointed that I could no longer save as .jpg/.tiff from the new DVD :angry2: but will work with .bmp as necessary (so not all bad I guess).

So these are my thoughts:-

1) I bought the new Trench maps DVD last month for £90ish, does that mean N&D have realised that there are some issues with compatibility and are planning to issue a 'new' version and selling the old stock off cheap?

2) I can't understand why N&D would be happy for you to save maps as .bmp (and not as .jpg et al) if it was a copyright issue??? And also N&M should not be copyright police for the National Archives, you can photograph any NA documents at will in Kew.

3) There are clearly some issues with this trench map DVD, but I've taken a very pragmatic view and decided that a digital image of any kind is better than none at all.

cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

In my post #35 I provided a link (above) to the TNA policy regarding copyright.

Provided the use is not for a commercial purpose, it is OK to make copies of a map, and copies of those copies.

And the thing is, I don't want a full map, just a small piece(s), as in my post #40.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

Maybe the price reduction is due to the slump in sales, brought about by their approach to Customer Service.

So my chances of a refund have just gotten worse.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

• 1 month later...

... bump

... bump

Why? I think everyone has had their say

Roger

Why? I think everyone has had their say

Roger

Not me Roger.

• 1 year later...

Interesting that this company is suddenly so keen on the question of copyright. I have - clearly quite wrongly - wondered about their relationship with the issue in the past.