Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N&M Press Trench Map software and DVD

Tom Lang

I have never used the N&M map products so can't comment on their pros or cons but I have bought books from N&M. I had reason to query a couple of points and found their customer service to be apalling. As for the WFA maps, I have a few of their CDs and am able to use them very satisfactorily.

Gareth wrote: "As for the WFA maps, I have a few of their CDs and am able to use them very satisfactorily."

Gareth, are they searchable? I mean for specific trench names or features etc.

I don't think they are. The indexing is a bit of a mystery to be honest (see the link above to a thread on that specific issue).

Now that I can 'see' the possiblities, I'm currently leaning towards Linesman.

Kindest Regards.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about buying the N&M Press Trench Map software, even though it is £145.00 + vat.

"The new benchmark in mapping the Front •

Bristling with ‘can't-get-elsewhere' features • " etc.

sounded like just what I wanted. I won't buy it now after reading this thread. Thanks Tom, how did you get on since? The WFA offering looks good to me.

John

I was thinking about buying the N&M Press Trench Map software, even though it is £145.00 + vat.

"The new benchmark in mapping the Front •

Bristling with ‘can't-get-elsewhere' features • " etc.

sounded like just what I wanted. I won't buy it now after reading this thread. Thanks Tom, how did you get on since? The WFA offering looks good to me.

John

Hello John,

I'm just glad to have saved you a headache and the hassle.

I'm still leaning towards Linesman, but I haven't bought it yet. I've been too busy with other things lately.

The WFA offering also looks good. I haven't looked deeper into it.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

John

All I can say is that I have been delighted with my N and MP DVD. I originally ran it on XP but it loaded onto my new W7 laptop with no problem. You can save extracts from maps using the relevant tool and saving as a BMP file. All you need to do is then resale as a JPEG. I would happily buy again. (And I have connection with the company)

Roger

John

All I can say is that I have been delighted with my N and MP DVD. I originally ran it on XP but it loaded onto my new W7 laptop with no problem. You can save extracts from maps using the relevant tool and saving as a BMP file. All you need to do is then resale as a JPEG. I would happily buy again. (And I have connection with the company)

Roger

Hello Roger,

I'm glad you've had a better experience than me, but you say that you "have a connection with the company".

I'll say the same as Christine Keeler said when asked about the statements made about her by John Profumo (the then Minister of Defence) in the 1960s sex & spy scandal - "He would say that, wouldn't he?".

From what you say, you have not addressed the problems I have described.

1) the website says the software is compatible with W7, but the Microsoft website does NOT show the product as being compatible with W7.

2) the website says the software can save a map as a .jpeg file, but it doesn't.

3) the 'help' instructions also say that the software can save a map as a .jpeg file, but it doesn't.

4) by loading the DVD, the software disables the W7 Snipping Tool. On exiting the program and removing the DVD, the W7 Snipping Tool is still disabled - this requires a reboot.

5) my emails to the company were ignored.

6) when I telephoned, I was accused of attempting to steal the software, and attempting to break the copyright rules.

7) when I requested a refund, I was refused. An honest, reputable company should have no problem with giving a refund.

I expect that because you use a laptop with W7, you will not notice 4) above because you shutdown then re-boot next time you use your laptop.

As you are a user who seems to be happy with the software, can I ask that you address the above points to confirm or deny anything I've written?

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

Linesman is brilliant for walking the battlefields, but I think has rather fewer maps of each area than the WFA sets. The high price is justified by the work involved in geo-referencing the maps to ensure that they correspond with modern mapping and gps systems.

Thw WFA sets probably have the greatest number of maps, which are as mentioned above, simply saved on the disks as jpegs.

There is also one more option, forum member Croonaert, (Dave O'Mara), also sells trench map CD's via his own website and on eBay UK and is very helpful.

Keith Roberts

Oops I meant to say I have NO connection with the company!! And at the moment I have had too many units to answer all your queries!

Roger

Linesman is brilliant for walking the battlefields, but I think has rather fewer maps of each area than the WFA sets. The high price is justified by the work involved in geo-referencing the maps to ensure that they correspond with modern mapping and gps systems.

Thw WFA sets probably have the greatest number of maps, which are as mentioned above, simply saved on the disks as jpegs.

There is also one more option, forum member Croonaert, (Dave O'Mara), also sells trench map CD's via his own website and on eBay UK and is very helpful.

Keith Roberts

Oops I meant to say I have NO connection with the company!! And at the moment I have had too many units to answer all your queries!

Roger

Thanks Keith for this info. It's always good to get as much 'user' input as possible (as I've had to learn the hard way - again).

And to Roger, thanks for clarifying your position. It does make a big difference, so my remarks about Christine Keeler should be withdrawn.

I'd still like to get your feedback on the points I've raised.

Kindest Regards,

Tom Lang.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom, I am a simple man so pondered the purchase of N&MP or linesman. I went for N&MP due to the good discount in January sales, I have just got a new laptop & works fine with W8, no problems with my older laptop or base unit. I must admit I self taught with this and other software and found that the best way for me was to 1, choose my map 2, zoom into area & save as BMP to my desktop 3, use paint or photo editor to resize etc. For me this has worked fine & to be honest offering a product that enables you to save an image but then suggest you intend breaching copyright is strange to me. I cannot say that I have tried to use any of the other tools provided as I didn`t want to make things hard. Appreciate your troubles but works fine for me & has provided good quality high detail images for my research. Bob

Tom, I am a simple man so pondered the purchase of N&MP or linesman. I went for N&MP due to the good discount in January sales, I have just got a new laptop & works fine with W8, no problems with my older laptop or base unit. I must admit I self taught with this and other software and found that the best way for me was to 1, choose my map 2, zoom into area & save as BMP to my desktop 3, use paint or photo editor to resize etc. For me this has worked fine & to be honest offering a product that enables you to save an image but then suggest you intend breaching copyright is strange to me. I cannot say that I have tried to use any of the other tools provided as I didn`t want to make things hard. Appreciate your troubles but works fine for me & has provided good quality high detail images for my research. Bob

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your message, and I'm glad you're happy.

I can't comment on W8 as it's just recently been released and I don't have a copy.

My complaints are with the 'so-called' compatibility with W7 and the disabling of the W7 Snipping Tool.

I wonder if you'd take the time to address the 7 points I raised in my earlier post to Roger?

Hello Roger,

<snip>

1) the website says the software is compatible with W7, but the Microsoft website does NOT show the product as being compatible with W7.

2) the website says the software can save a map as a .jpeg file, but it doesn't.

3) the 'help' instructions also say that the software can save a map as a .jpeg file, but it doesn't.

4) by loading the DVD, the software disables the W7 Snipping Tool. On exiting the program and removing the DVD, the W7 Snipping Tool is still disabled - this requires a reboot.

5) my emails to the company were ignored.

6) when I telephoned, I was accused of attempting to steal the software, and attempting to break the copyright rules.

7) when I requested a refund, I was refused. An honest, reputable company should have no problem with giving a refund.

I expect that because you use a laptop with W7, you will not notice 4) above because you shutdown then re-boot next time you use your laptop.

As you are a user who seems to be happy with the software, can I ask that you address the above points to confirm or deny anything I've written?

I'd also point out that a .BMP file is a lot larger in physical size than a .JPG. That's because of the low-level detail contained in the .BMP which allows you to zoom so closely.

I want to have small .JPG files to add to a 'dossier' on my grandfather.

If I use .BMP files, the 'dossier' becomes too large (more than 25 MB) to send to my family via email (Yahoo mail has a 25 MB limit).

So your use is different and individual to you, just like everyone else's.

I'd still venture that your description of how you save a file, flies in the face of the company's instructions.

I bought the product based on the information on the website, which clearly states that I could save a .JPG file and I can't - I get an error message.

The 'Help' system also provides the same instructions to save a .JPG file, but that doesn't work either - I get an error message.

Have you tried saving a .JPG file by following the product's instructions?

After you exit the program and remove the DVD, (and before you reboot your laptop) have you tried to use the Snipping Tool?

I'd like to hear of your experience doing the above.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Tom

I would agree That if a function is advertised it should carry it out and if not then at the very least a workaround should be explored by the product supplier. Bit like getting a car with 5 gears but finding only 4 work!!!

I must admit that i have not tried any of the tools to be honest with you, i did find that the only way to save was as i described and for myself i was / still am happy. I do see your point and respect your approach to N&MP for a refund regarding a product that doen`t deliver, especially as its not a cheap product.

again i can only say that how i use it, i am happy but you got me thinking now what i may have paid for that doesn`t deliver?

Bob

Bob,

I've bought one of those 5-gear cars before... lol

If I'd known what I know now I wouldn't have bought N&MP.

My intention in posting here, was to give my experience to others before they spend their money.

The double insult was for them to refuse a refund, and accuse me of stealing.

Business must be booming for them to treat a customer that way. And if you read what others have said, it's a mixed bag.

But the private messages I've received are all unfavourable, so the balance of opinion for N&MP is bad.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Just had a quick browse of this thread and can't spot any mention (apologies if I have missed it) - does ALT+PRTSCRN or CTRL+ALT+PRTSCRN work when a map is displayed? Keith

I would recommend you take a screenshot of the map rather than having to save it. You should then be able to manipulate it to your hearts content in whatever photo editing software you have. Open windows help and support and enter screenshot in the search box.

Just had a quick browse of this thread and can't spot any mention (apologies if I have missed it) - does ALT+PRTSCRN or CTRL+ALT+PRTSCRN work when a map is displayed? Keith

I would recommend you take a screenshot of the map rather than having to save it. You should then be able to manipulate it to your hearts content in whatever photo editing software you have. Open windows help and support and enter screenshot in the search box.

I really appreciate your responses, but I've said in earlier posts that I shouldn't have to go through that 'rigmarole'.

Using PrtScreen etc, is part of an older generation of Windows.

Windows 7 overcomes those multi-step, self-discovered 'procedures' by providing a tool called "Snipping Tool".

To use the Snipping Tool, all you do is click on a part of the screen, drag the mouse to create a rectangle of the size you want, let go and save the file directly to wherever you want it to go.

There is also no need to go back and cleanup your desktop or hard drive of old files you no longer need.

With these small map 'snippets', I can immediately insert them into a Word document, and Bob's your auntie - no fuss or bother.

That's the advantage of having W7.

If N&MP claim that their product is compatible with W7, then I should have the use of the W7 Snipping Tool and their product should NOT disable a tool provided by Microsoft.

There a many ways to skin a cat, but I bought W7, Office 2010 and N&MP's product to give me the simple option.

I bought the N&MP product based on their description on their website that their product can save a .jpg file, but it can't!

Having spent the money on their product, N&MP now won't refund my cash because they claim I'm attempting to steal their software and breaking copyright.

So, if you are happy to remain using the methods in earlier versions of Windows (e.g. Windows XP) then good luck.

I made a conscious effort to get the right products for what I want to do.

I'd like to skin my cat, my way.

N&MP products are NOT compatible with W7.

I posted an earlier link to the Microsoft website for you to check.

If you are happy to continually jump through the hoops you describe, it may be another reason why N&MP claim to have 'happy' customers.

If you continue with your older habit, that's what you're comfortable with.

On the other hand, I am an 'unhappy' customer and I have described the details for this, in earlier posts.

No member has posted anything to counter the 7 points I have raised.

I'd like to hear of any of your experiences of what I have described.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Understand your pain and frustration which I'm not sure anyone can help with - just trying to help with workarounds. I accept that you shouldn't have to, but reality is that at the moment - you do! I slightly disagree that CTRL + ALT + PRTSCRN is 'older generation' - it has less control and functionality than the Windows 7 snipping tool but (as with many things in windows) using keyboard shortcuts is by far the quickest way to achieve some things. I also had a reason for asking about CTRL + ALT + PRTSCRN - if this works, then that is obviously not disabled by N&MP. Might give a clue as to how they are actually disabling the snipping tool so it can be reversed? There is an option via control panel that might be being turned off - but to turn it back on needs the PC to be rebooted - which doesn't help you! I'll have a look on my system later tonight to see if there is an ini file or something that has a command in it. Have you tried any of the free atlernative programs to snipping tool? Keith

All I can say is that I am delighted with mine. It's no big deal to save it as a bump file and then resave it as a jpeg. You don't need the sniping tool, just use the crop tool that comes with it.

Roger

All I can say is that I am delighted with mine. It's no big deal to save it as a bump file and then resave it as a jpeg. You don't need the sniping tool, just use the crop tool that comes with it.

Roger

Hello Roger,

I've said before that I'm glad you are happy. But I'm unhappy and have given my reasons.

I've also asked before for your feedback on the points I've raised. I'd still like to read your comments on the 7 specific points I raised.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Understand your pain and frustration which I'm not sure anyone can help with - just trying to help with workarounds. I accept that you shouldn't have to, but reality is that at the moment - you do! I slightly disagree that CTRL + ALT + PRTSCRN is 'older generation' - it has less control and functionality than the Windows 7 snipping tool but (as with many things in windows) using keyboard shortcuts is by far the quickest way to achieve some things. I also had a reason for asking about CTRL + ALT + PRTSCRN - if this works, then that is obviously not disabled by N&MP. Might give a clue as to how they are actually disabling the snipping tool so it can be reversed? There is an option via control panel that might be being turned off - but to turn it back on needs the PC to be rebooted - which doesn't help you! I'll have a look on my system later tonight to see if there is an ini file or something that has a command in it. Have you tried any of the free atlernative programs to snipping tool? Keith

Hello Gully Ravine,

There was a time when there were no funtion keys or Ctrl or Alt or PrtScreen keys on a PC keyboard.

They have been introduced over time in a collaboration of the keyboard manufacturers and Microsoft.

They exist today because of the introduction of 'Hot Keys' by Microsoft, and they have to be maintained as 'backward-compatible' with earlier version of Windows.

The W7 Snipping Tool overcomes the need for those 'old' shortcuts.

For those unfamiliar with W7's Snipping Tool, here's a video to show and explain that no 3rd-party tools or shortcuts are needed any more:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

I am very much aware that I can jump through hoops to possibly get to where I want to be, but I bought a product which claims to save me the trouble - but doesn't.

Regarding your mention of an .ini file is interesting.

But I'd ask a different one - "Why do you or I have to bother with such things?".

If I exit the program and remove the DVD, my PC should be EXACTLY as it was before I used the N&MP product.

If they choose to interfere with the functions of the Windows operating system, then they should re-instate their interference when I exit.

But that is not the case - and I have to reboot my PC to get the Snipping Tool to funtion again.

That is a bug in the N&MP software - very simple and easy to fix.

Kindest Regards,

Tom

If N&MP say that their product is fully W7 compatible and it isn't, I think they may have breached sales contract law by refusing you a refund. I would be inclined to sue them for the refund plus damages and costs. This could all be done under a small claims action - but I agree that it should not be necessary. Their impugning of your motives is unforgivable.

Some would say that N&MP have form when it comes to less than great customer service - i.e the rather high cost of providing DVD updates to "Soldiers Died" to keep it going.

I have many map programs, including N&MP's offering.

I have never had it save to a .jpg file whatever version of Windows I have used it with. To me, it's no big deal and certainly not what I would call a 'rigmorole'. A couple of extra clicks of the mouse and it's done - in far less time than it takes to complain about it.

Nothing is perfect and life is too short to get upset about the little things, in my view. The maps are very useful and I'd certainly not want to be without them just because a small detail (with a very easy workaround) doesn't function as I might have expected.

Just my opinion.

If N&MP say that their product is fully W7 compatible and it isn't, I think they may have breached sales contract law by refusing you a refund. I would be inclined to sue them for the refund plus damages and costs. This could all be done under a small claims action - but I agree that it should not be necessary. Their impugning of your motives is unforgivable.

Some would say that N&MP have form when it comes to less than great customer service - i.e the rather high cost of providing DVD updates to "Soldiers Died" to keep it going.

Hello ianw,

I now live in Dallas, Texas, and I'm of the impression that's why they aren't interested.

My only 'action' was to post my experiences here.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.