Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

N&M Press Trench Map software and DVD

Tom Lang

I'm having trouble with this software and DVD.

I have emailed the company (N&M Press) and reported the problems, and they have replied:

"I do not think it is possible to do what you are trying to do.

These maps are from the National Archives collection and we have to employ electronic security/anti piracy software to protect copyright.

Unfortunately we have to go to great lengths to protect against a few who would wish to breach copyright.".

The website states that the product is compatible with Windows 7, and the documentation and Help state that I can save a .jpeg file.

When I try this I get the error "ERViewer: Cannot open file "Unable to open jpg file '%s' for write".".

I also found that if I run this program, the W7 Snipping Tool is 'disabled'.

When I remove the DVD and close the program, the W7 Snipping Tool is permanently 'disabled'.

My only resolution is to re-boot my PC to get the Snipping Tool back into action.

I don't believe that what I'm attempting to do has anything to do with breach of copyright.

I believe that the software is NOT compatible with W7 since it interferes with the normal working of the Snipping Tool (which is part of W7), and the documentation and program Help specifically say that I can save a copy as a .jpg file (which I can't).

Here's what I'm trying to do:

My grandfather was killed in action on 24 Apr 1917 while serving with the 14th Bn Highland Light Infantry.

I want to create small snippets of the trench Maps, to put into a 'digital dossier' of my grandfather's 'footsteps' with his battalion up until his death. My 'dossier' is a Word document.

I want to share this 'dossier' with the rest of my family, but also to establish the history 'digitally' and to keep this for my daughter and grandson (his g/g/grandfather).

I ordered a copy of the DVD on 3 Jul 2012.

On 16 Jul 2012 I had not yet received the DVD in the post, and I left a message to let them know.

They replied "This is overdue now, but I am sure its just delayed rather than lost. Please let me know it it does not show up this week and I will organise a replacement".

I said I would wait until the end of that week and the DVD arrived on Friday 20 July, 2012.

I reported my problems (described above) to N&M on Wed 25 July 2012.

I had no reply, so on Friday 10 Aug, 2012, I sent another email asking for their response.

They replied on Monday 13 Aug that they had recovered my email from their 'junk mail' folder, and gave the response above.

I replied that day to say that I was not attempting to breach any copyright, and that my problems arise from their advertising that it is W7 compatible, and that I can save a .jpg file which I can't.

I pointed out that this was more of a technical question, and asked that my request be forwarded to someone with technical knowledge (all correspondence so far was with the order dept).

I sent a second request on Sunday 26 Aug 2012.

To date I have had no response from N&M and I wonder if anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

Kindest Regards.

Hi Cant help but I have similat issue with Linesman in as much as I cant save j pegs either. I have Windows XP so that may be why??

TT

Hi Tom. Not sure of this helps as I know nothing of W7 or do I have a clue about attaching images to Word Doc's.

Like yourself I've wanted to save 'trench map' sections in relation to my familiy members' WW1 experiences.

It's a bit long winded but once you've downloaded the files needed then it's easy enough to do next time round.

What you need to do is:

Download a free PDF writer (I use cutepdf). Download a free PDF to Jpeg Converter. Both are easily found online.

Instead of 'Save As' -ing the image needed click on Print and print to your desktop (or dedicated folder) as a pdf file.

Then convert the pdf to a jpeg. This means you can then reduce and or crop the size to suit your needs.

Thanks for replying TT.

I don't have Linesman so I'm unable to make any comment on it.

Saving a file as a particular filetype is under the control of the software product, working in conjunction with the operating system (in my case W7).

The N&M website states that their DVD is compatible with W7. The software documentation and the Help system states that you can save a filetype of .jpg.

So if I can't, then there is something wrong in the software. But to claim that I am doing something to breach a copyright is completely wrong.

Also, to interfere with the normal workings and functions of Windows is something I'm sure Microsoft would like to learn about.

N&M claim that their product is compatible.

By permanently disabling the Snipping Tool is an interference in the normal operation of W7.

I can understand N&M's apprehension, but their claims of compatibility and their failure to respond to my requests for technical help leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I have sent emails and messages via their website to no avail.

Remember that I only bought it recently, and for my own use - not a commercial operation.

Kindest Regards.

Hi Tom. Not sure of this helps as I know nothing of W7 or do I have a clue about attaching images to Word Doc's.

Like yourself I've wanted to save 'trench map' sections in relation to my familiy members' WW1 experiences.

It's a bit long winded but once you've downloaded the files needed then it's easy enough to do next time round.

What you need to do is:

Download a free PDF writer (I use cutepdf). Download a free PDF to Jpeg Converter. Both are easily found online.

Instead of 'Save As' -ing the image needed click on Print and print to your desktop (or dedicated folder) as a pdf file.

Then convert the pdf to a jpeg. This means you can then reduce and or crop the size to suit your needs.

Thanks ulsterlad2.

The company advertise that the product is compatible with W7. But within a couple of days of using it, I found out otherwise.

It does not perform as described, and it looks like they don't want to talk about the problems.

I'm sure Microsoft could get their attention when they claim that their product is compatible.

Also I don't think a customer should have to through the pain you describe. I can't save the file (I get an error message), so there's nothing to convert.

It's also very interesting about the pdf to jpg converter you describe.

I could use that for other stuff. I'm off to find a copy.

Kindest Regards.

I have the Official History DVD and I cannot save images to hard drive, but I knew this before I bought it. I can print as much as I like on paper though. I run Vista, and the 'clipping tool' is disabled when using the DVD.

" documentation and Help state that I can save a .jpeg file. " Does it actually say that?

The biggest problem I have had, is with 'Flash Player' I have to uninstall this, every time I want to run DVD.

Cheers Mike

You can't "Save" the file, you need to "Print" it to the computer. However, I agree you shouldn't have to go through this rigmarole.

Which section of map is it that you need?

Hello skipman and thanks for your reply.

The documentation does actually say that. Also in the product Help system.

When I do a 'Save As' I can select several filetypes, and jpg is one of these. If I select it then click OK I get the error message.

The website also specifically states that the product is "Microsoft Vista, XP and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit) compatible".

http://www.naval-military-press.com/national-archives-british-trench-map-atlas-the-western-front-1914-18-1-10-000-regular-series-with-an-index-of-over-20-000-trench-and-topographical-names-and-a-commentary-for-each-map.html

It was after reading the 'blurb' that I chose to buy it. So I feel let down and it isn't cheap.

Kindest Regards.

You can't "Save" the file, you need to "Print" it to the computer. However, I agree you shouldn't have to go through this rigmarole.

Which section of map is it that you need?

There are too many to ask for - that's why I bought the DVD, rather than buying individual maps from TNA.

I also had a great uncle in the 2nd Seaforths. He was awarded the MM so I have a dossier for him too (and other relatives - as we all have).

But thanks for the offer.

Kindest Regards.

You can contact them Here I have always found them helpful. If it says it can save a .jpeg file, then you should be able to do that. Phone them and talk it through with them. There should also be a cooling off period, shouldn't there? So if not happy send it back, and get your money back. I just tried to save a page using 'pdf creator' but got an error message. That could just be my lack of skill though?

Good luck

Cheers Mike

My experience with the product (got it about 10 years ago) that your version will stop running all together when you switch to Windows 8.

Buy a book*.

Regards,

Marco

*To be honest I had to buy a conversion (program) recently: reading glasses but that has to do with an old CPU.

You can contact them Here I have always found them helpful. If it says it can save a .jpeg file, then you should be able to do that. Phone them and talk it through with them. There should also be a cooling off period, shouldn't there? So if not happy send it back, and get your money back. I just tried to save a page using 'pdf creator' but got an error message. That could just be my lack of skill though?

Good luck

Cheers Mike

Hello Mike,

I've sent emails and messages via their website requesting how to return the DVD, but to no avail.

I'm in Dallas, Texas, and have a 6 hour time difference, so they're closed right now. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Kindest Regards.

My experience with the product (got it about 10 years ago) that your version will stop running all together when you switch to Windows 8.

Buy a book*.

Regards,

Marco

*To be honest I had to buy a conversion (program) recently: reading glasses but that has to do with an old CPU.

Well thanks for the 'more bad news' Marco...lol

Maybe I should just print the whole book?

Mike

Well, yes. My Windows 98 version of the CD doesn't work anymore while my 1991 (!) version of

Chasseaud, P. TOPOGRAPHY OF ARMAGEDDON - A BRITISH TRENCH MAP ATLAS OF THE WESTERN FRONT 1914-1918.

works fine and works even beter now*

Regards,

Marco

*as said, due to reading glasses

Marco. I think N & MP will replace an old disc, as long as you return it, but I also think there is a charge for this. Definitely worth contacting them. Phone is always best, if you can find someone to speak to.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I've sent emails and messages via their website requesting how to return the DVD, but to no avail.

I'm in Dallas, Texas, and have a 6 hour time difference, so they're closed right now. Maybe I'll try tomorrow.

Kindest Regards.

Well thanks for the 'more bad news' Marco...lol

I've just spoken on the phone to N & M Press.

He claims to 'be up to date' with all his emails which is not correct.

He claims that I am attempting to break the copyright, and also attempting to make copies of the DVD - how absurd!

He refuses to accept return of his DVD and refund my money, so PLEASE be WARNED!

I ordered the DVD on 3 July; it arrived on 16 July; I first reported my problems on 25 July - that's 10 days by my arithmetic.

N & M Press said that it has now been too long for them to get involved.

Kindest Regards.

Having been accused of stealing, I'd like to take the opportunity to defend myself publicly.

To make sure that I have stated the facts as above, I'd like to show the forum members the text of my emails to & from N & M Press.

I've edited out any personal names for anonimity.

I hope the members of the forum can judge if I have been attempting to steal the company's software. (I'm not - I want a refund!)

No 1) Ordered the DVD via the website on 3 July, 2012.

No 2) I sent a message via the website:

"Message:

My order has not yet arrived. I receive mail from the UK regularly and it never takes this long. Please advise. Kindest Regards, Tom Lang. "

No 3) Response from N & M on Monday 16 July:

"This is overdue now, but I am sure its just delayed rather than lost. Please let me know it it does not show up this week and I will organise a replacement."

No 4) My reply on Monday 16 July:

"Thanks for your response.

If it doesn't arrive by Friday I'll let you know."

No 5) On Friday 20 July the DVD arrived in the post. I sent this email that day:

"Good News! The package arrived!

There was a note on it from the US Postal Service.

Basically, they're complaining about the 'format' of the address as it does not comply with US Post Office 'recommendations'.

Their automatic readers cannot process the address in the format you used, so it gets shunted out to be handled manually. Hence the time lost.

Can I suggest that in future you 'format' US addresses as follows:

Name

Street Address 1

Street Address 2 (if any)

City, State, Zip-Code

Country

e.g.

Tom Lang

[edited]

[edited]

USA

I know that this is not the same format as in the UK, but it does explain why I've 'lost' mail in the past.

But I'm glad to have the DVD and so far it looks great."

No 6) On Tuesday 24 July, N & M Press replied:

"Great news tat he DVD ROM arrived. I am away this week, but will have a look at the address formats on my return."

No 7) I replied on the same day 24 July:

"Cheers [edited] - off galavanting again!"

No 8) On Wednesday 25 July I reported my problems by email:

"I'm having some difficulties making copies of the maps.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

My grandfather was killed in action on 24 Apr 1917 in France while serving with the 14th Bn Highland Light Infantry.

I have a transcribed copy of the Bn War Diary, and I'm trying to match this up with a side-by-side and page-by-page view in a separate document.

I now want to add 'snippets' of the Trench Maps to match up with mentions of towns, trenches, etc., that are mentioned in The War Diary.

I want to preserve this as part of my family's history, and my grandfather's part in WW1. So I have built a 'dossier' on him and the 14th HLI.

I hope that this document will provide the history for family generations to come - my grandson is now 5 and I'd like him to be able to read about his g/g/grandfather.

So my purpose in buying your DVD was to get access to the Trench Maps. I understood that I would be able to make copies using the 'Save As' feature.

My PC is running Windows 7 Professional (with all the latest updates) and I have Office 2010 Professional installed.

On installing your product, the product 'ER Viewer 7.2' was also installed.

I have found 2 'problems or issues' I'd like to overcome.

1) When I try the 'File ->Save As' function, this opens the 'Save As' window where I can select the location, filename and file type.

When I try this I get differing error messages depending on the type.

e.g. for a .jpg file type the error displayed is "ERViewer: Cannot open file "Unable to open jpg file '%s' for write".".

The 'Help' screen states that I can use the 'Save As' feature, and that jpg files are listed.

I tried using the Help -> ER Mapper Web -> ER Mapper Home Page, but this only provides help with ER Mapper and other products, and not ER Viewer.

2) If I try to use the Windows 7 Snipping Tool, it is disabled - this is VERY disconcerting that your product 'interferes with the normal working of my PC.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

Or can you advise if there is something else that I need to do - e.g. Is there a Windows setting that I need to 'set/unset'?"

No 9) On Friday 10 August, I sent this email:

"I am concerned that you have not replied to my email of 2 weeks ago.

Please reply as soon as possible."

No 10) On Monday 13 August, N & M replied:

"This email was recovered from my junk folder – not sure why though!

I do not think it is possible to do what you are trying to do. These maps are from the National Archives collection and we have to employ electronic security/anti piracy software to protect copyright. Unfortunately we have to go to great lengths to protect against a few who would wish to breach copyright.

From what you have said, it sounds like an interesting and worthwhile project. You could either try to take a screen shot or print the maps and scan."

No 11) I replied the same day:

"I understand the copyright part, but my questions are in regard to (1) the 'Help' instructions which say I can save a .jpg type file (which I can't), and (2) the product disables the Windows 7 Snipping Tool (which allows me to take a screenshot).

Neither of these has anything to do with Copyright. I have found that once I remove your DVD, I have to reboot my PC to reset the use of Windows 7 Snipping Tool, and of course, as soon as I run your software again, I'm back to a reboot.

Also I believe that once I've paid for a copy, I am entitled to make copies for my own use, which is what I'm trying to do.

If your 'Help' system says that I can save a .jpg file, then your reply that you "do not think it is possible" doesn't explain very much.

I've tried to save a .jpg file and I get an error message.

If your product interferes with the normal use of the Windows 7 operating system (i.e. Snipping Tool), then I'm sure Microsoft would like to hear your response that you "do not think it is possible".

Yet your website claims that the product is compatible with Windows 7.

If you are unable to give me a satisfactory answer to my questions, can you please forward this to someone who has the technical knowledge, otherwise I'd like you to consider refunding my money."

No 12) I received no reply and on 26 August I sent this email:

"As I have not received any response from you, I have to assume that you cannot answer my questions.

I feel that I have been patient enough to allow you to give me your answer.

That being the case, I would now like to know your procedure to return the product and refund my money.

Your product does not perform as described."

I also sent another message via the contact form on the website to repeat the last email, but no response was forthcoming.

I hope that members of this forum will read and judge these circumstances, and decide for themselves.

I can only repeat that I am disgusted to be accused of stealing.

Kindest Regards.

He claims that I am attempting to break the copyright, and also attempting to make copies of the DVD - how absurd!

What an utterly ridiculous accusation. So, via the programme you can print out on paper all the maps you like and that's not stealing but trying to save a small section of a map to your computer as a jpeg is stealing? Not only that, when viewing via the ER Viewer it gives you the option to 'Save As' a jpeg which doesnt actually work

YIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Tom. I've just saved an image to my desktop without all that PDF to JPEG rigmarole.

Only just noticed after all this time that one of the 'Save As' options is Windows BMP.

Try saving as a .bmp

What an utterly ridiculous accusation. So, via the programme you can print out on paper all the maps you like and that's not stealing but trying to save a small section of a map to your computer as a jpeg is stealing? Not only that, when viewing via the ER Viewer it gives you the option to 'Save As' a jpeg which doesnt actually work

Precisely!

When viewing a particular map in the ER Viewer, you click on their Menu to 'Save As' then you can also select the filetype. If you select the jpeg filetype, then click OK, you'll get the error message.

I can't get a 'snippet' of the Help instructions to show you, because the W7 Snipping Tool is disabled - what a joke!

It cost me £145.00 + £7.70 postage which is not cheap. But it is the price I've paid to find out the character of the company.

And my grandfather died to allow them the opportunity of calling me a thief.

Kindest Regards.

YIPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Tom. I've just saved an image to my desktop without all that PDF to JPEG rigmarole.

Only just noticed after all this time that one of the 'Save As' options is Windows BMP.

Try saving as a .bmp

I did that, but the size of the file is huge.

If I include several such large files in my grandfather's dossier, the dossier file itself becomes too enormous to send to my family by email.

Yahoo for instance, has an attachment file limit of 25 MB.

I specifically bought this software because the 'blurb' says I can save a jpeg which is a much smaller filesize. I can then use the W7 Snipping Tool to get a smaller snippet of a map reference; a trench; a town; etc and include that in the dossier - thereby keeping the overall size of the dossier to a manageable size.

The bmp files are great for zooming into detail. That's why they are so large in file size.

But thanks for the effort. Did you try 'Save As' a jpeg and get the error I described?

Kindest Regards.

Just another thought ulsterlad2 - if you can save a bmp file (which you just did) to your PC, does that mean that you are a 'thief' too?

Better be careful of your reputation... lol

The bmp files are great for zooming into detail. That's why they are so large in file size.

But thanks for the effort. Did you try 'Save As' a jpeg and get the error I described?

Kindest Regards.

Yes. I knew about that jpeg error from my past efforts. That's what led me to that whole printing and converting routine.

Give the BMP thing another go. It really isn't that bad. When you open the bmp image save it again as a jpeg. I've just saved an entire map to the desktop as a bmp. It is huge at 160 megs. I opened again using a pic viewer and saved it as a jpeg of all of 9 megs. 160 down to 9 for the same image.

Edit. btw - opening the image using Windows Paint and then saving image as a jpeg works well.

Edited by ulsterlad2

Yes. I knew about that jpeg error from my past efforts. That's what led me to that whole printing and converting routine.

Give the BMP thing another go. It really isn't that bad. When you open the bmp image save it again as a jpeg. I've just saved an entire map to the desktop as a bmp. It is huge at 160 megs. I opened again using a pic viewer and saved it as a jpeg of all of 9 megs. 160 down to 9 for the same image.

The bmp option doesn't work with the arithmetic of trying to get this into my grandfather's dossier.

3 x 9 = 27 which is way too big for Yahoo email limit of 25.

And why should we have to go to such trouble in the first place?

The product is not performing as described.

But I'm glad that some good news has come out of this - now you can zoom into the bmp files and see detail you've not seen before.

Kindest Regards.