Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers

jeffdanward

Private Frederick Walker No. 12590 R.W.F. D.O.B 11-12-1893. lived Manchester ( Harperhey/ Miles Platting areas) Trying to find out a bit more about Frederick found him in the Medal Rolls but his service record does'nt appear to have survived. Can any one help please. Jeff Ward.

Jeff. Name Fred not Frederick Walker born 1893 son of Thomas and Ellen lived 6 Rudyard St Manchester 6 in 1911, this was not Harpurhey nor Miles Platting, they were Manchester 10 district. In 1901 he lived 18 Auslow Street Harpurhey (note correct spelling). He was a grocers assistant in 1911. Hope this helps. Ralph.

Private 12590 Frederick Walker is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

He was killed in action on 25th September 1915.

SDGW lists him as 9th Btn RWF Private 12590. Born Chester, resided Bolton, enlisted Wrexham.

MIC states he first went to France 19.07.15 and KIA 25.09.15.

He is also commemorated on the War Memorial at Chester Town Hall - Private Fred.Walker 9th Royal Welsh Fusiliers..

These details are incorrect after 1921 (?)

The chap from Manchester was born in the city in December 1893. The chap from Chester was born in Chester in December 1891.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the chap from Manchester was not Private 12590.

There are 3 other Frederick Walkers in RWF:

9534 2nd Btn RWF

19531 RWF

37207 RWF later Labour Corps

Found this on a family history website, which relates to IPT's links:

FREDERICK WALKER

1911 census - single, age 19, living with widowed mother, Edith. Occupation: labourer for casement maker. Address: 55 Fossington Street, Boughton, Chester.

Enlisted as a Private in the 9th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers (No 12590) during 1914 and was involved at the Battle of Loos in the latter part of 1915. He was severely injured in action and eventually taken prisoner by the Germans and imprisoned in East Prussia. His was an amazing story in that he suffered severe memory loss as a result of his injuries and mistreatment by the Germans. For reasons which are unclear he was not repatriated back to the UK until 1921 and was eventually discharged by the army in 1924. During this time his family had been told by the MOD that he had been killed in action on 15/9/15 and indeed there is an inscription on the Loos Memorial to this effect. They were not to see him again until 1953 when, still suffering from memory loss, they were reunited. After returning in 1953 he again lost contact with the family and never saw them again. The date of his death is not known.

A copy of the article in the Cheshire Observer describing his return home can be seen via the Press Cuttings Page.

Inclined to agree with you Sandie re sticking your neck out, has Jeff got two Fred(erick) Walkers mixed up ? one in the RWF and one living Harpurhey/Miles Platting, one born 1891 t'other 1893 ?

Thanks everyone,

Ralph has picked the right man, he was known as Fred but was baptised Frederick. Looking at the medal rolls I had assumed he was No. 12590 seems I was wrong. The only other info I have is that he was gassed and as a result lost a lung. Hope this clears the air a bit. Regards Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

I can't find a record of a Silver War Badge for him. He may have been medically downgraded and could, possibly, be the chap transferred to the Labour Corps.

Did he have surgery after the war?

Sandie

* Just had a look at the MIC for Private 37207 RWF later 357434 Labour Corps and he was awarded a Silver War Badge (SWB List 257434). I'll get back to you if I find it.

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up on Fred Walker, I managed to find out a bit more about him thanks to the suggestion about the Silver War Badge. The SWB rolls show that he was awarded badge No. 303717 and served from 6-12-15 to 15-12-17. He was discharged on grounds of sickness. He initially served with the 13th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. I've been unable to find out much about them other than that after a period at Winchester they went to France in Dec. 1915. If anyone can provide a brief history of the battalion I'd be most grateful. It would be helpfull to know if they suffered in any gas attacks. Family hearsay has it that he was discharged because his lungs where damaged by gas. Incidentally would it be the case that men suffering from the effects of gas would be discharged as sick rather than wounded.? Regards Jeff Ward.

• Admin

Incidentally would it be the case that men suffering from the effects of gas would be discharged as sick rather than wounded.?

Yes

Incidentally you may have better luck following their Division rather than the Bn http://www.1914-1918.net/38div.htm

If he was gassed suggest it was more likely to be during 3rd Ypres given his discharge date.

Ken