Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps - matching serial nos to companies

Boz75

Can someone please help?!

I'm trying to identify the specific Company that my Great Grandfather served in during WW1.

I have his medal index card & medal roll Roderick McGregor - WW1 Medal Card.pdfbut I've hit a wall trying to find out what Company he served in.

His regimental number is T/438286 which I understand means he served in a Horse Transport Company; the challenge has been identifying which one.

The only other reference on the medal index card is RASC 101B 292 - does this mean anything?

I've uploaded his medal index card. The medal roll record recently received from the NA at Kew didn't contain any further information

Thanks

The reference merely tells you where to find his medal roll entry. Unfortunately ASC men (along with artillery) are among the hardest to research in the absence of records as the rolls don't give much away

Thanks for providing clarity on what is a rather complex & confusing research matter.

I've managed to look further into his enrolment form (which also appears to double up as his service record!) - army form B 2513.

His service no is listed as S4/217379 - how does this differ from his regimental no?

The only other reference of note is that the form has been signed off by the Commanding Officer "R", "K" or "X" Supply Co, ASC

Not sure if this can shed any further light.

Regards & thanks

Boz75

If the Roderick Mcgregor service number S4/217379 is the same man as listed in your original post there are 23 pages of service record listed in

Ancestry. The person mentioned in my post was a butcher.

His service no is listed as S4/217379 - how does this differ from his regimental no?

It doesn't really. During this time period there was no such thing as an 'army number' and men within the different units could have the same number.

There's nothing obvious that I can see in the service record for S4/217379 to link him to being the same man as T/438286.

S4/217379 is Roderick McGregor from Ashlea, Station Rd, Lochgelly; a butcher; 39y 5m old in (I think) Oct 1916. He ended up with 6th Field Butchery (no surprise there...)

(Can anyone find the MIC for this guy? His papers do say he served in France from 1916)

As the previous post said, logically, he is nothing to do with the T/438276 guy, whose papers do not survive so far as I can see.

The question is - given that there are at least 7 Roderick Mac/McGregors who served abroad (i.e. 7 MICs) - how certain are you that T/438276 is your GGF? E.g. do you have his medals?

This is great news, thanks.

No, we don'y have any medals but the Roderick McGregor (Butcher) is without doubt my GGF. Age, profession & geography all correlate with other family records.

The MIC for the T/438276 McGregor was the only MIC we found on the NA site relating to a Roderick McGregor who served in the ASC. It was case of putting 1 to 1 together & getting 11! Although I think Ancestry have also linked the two McGregors in question.

Where did you find out that he served with 6th Field Butchery? This is information is gold dust as far as I'm concerned as I've only ever been able to get his Army From B 2513 record which didn't give this information (too large to upload). I suppose the only other question is where his MIC is?

Thanks

It is also on Ancestry under McGrigor. Unfortunately I haven't got a sub, so can't link it. Use the Old Search option and just enter 217379 in the Regimental Number box, nothing else. It should be the third hit on the list.

Phil

... Roderick McGregor (Butcher) is without doubt my GGF. Age, profession & geography all correlate with other family records.

Where did you find out that he served with 6th Field Butchery? ...

Glad to hear you could identify him. As you presumably know, his service papers survive in Ancestry's "British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920". There are 23 images for him, starting at image 48511 - important tip (or it was) - always go back 1 or more images to see if the previous images relate to your soldier as occasionally I find (or found) Ancestry send you to a so-called first form but that form is / was part way through the images for the soldier. In your case, 48500 is just the PRO's new image form.

Image 48515 ("Statement as to Disability") has "Unit - 6th Field Butchery" close to the top - though you probably have to be alert to ASC terms to read it - I was, as my grandpa had 2 cousins, both butchers in the Co-op, who both ended up in 41 Field Butchery.

Images 48519 & '20 (B103 Casualty Form - bad name as it gets used for movements) has more details including these units:

ASC Base Depot;

4 L of C Sup Coy (not sure what this is)

9 Field Butchery

6 L of C Sup Coy

7 Field Butchery

6 Field Butchery

The last move is "To Concentration Camp" at Rouen which has decidedly different overtones now but was presumably then just a point through which demobbing soldiers passed. The lines on the real document have dates.

You don't need to type the image numbers - just use the forward or back arrows above the image.

I think Ancestry have also linked the two McGregors in question.

The linking is just done automatically without intelligence - if the name's the same and some date fits, it comes up as a suggested record or similar. I think linking also gets done if someone saves records to the same person in their Ancestry tree.

Adrian

L of C Sup Coy - This would be "Lines Of Communication Supply Company."

Steve.

• 2 years later...

Hi -Looking for any information on John MacDonald ASC Private we have a service number S/310242 however we cant find any reference to the Lochgilphead War memorial or the area.

Lochgilphead 65 youth project

regards

Raymond

Is this him?

Name: John McDonald Gender: Male Birth Date: abt 1891 Age at Enlistment: 25 Marriage Date: 8 Dec 1914 Marriage Place: 9 Anllowgate Glasgow Residence Place: 77 Levenbank Ter, Jamestown Document Year: 1916 Regimental Number: 310242 Regiment Name: Army Service Corps Number of Images: 25 Hannah Notman Spouse John McDonald

Child

If so, his records have survived, and are on Ancestry. Under McDonald rather than MacDonald.

Private

Service No:

S/310242

Date of Death:

18/12/1917

Regiment/Service:

Army Service Corps

3rd Base Supply Depot.

Grave Reference:

VIII. I. 132.

Cemetery:

BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Son of John and Barbara McDonald, of Springburn, Glasgow; husband of Hannah Notman McDonald, of Glasgow.

From C.W.G.C.

Date of Death: 18/12/1917 Age: 27

Regiment/Service: Army Service Corps 3rd Base Supply Depot.

Grave Reference: VIII. I. 132. Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Additional Information: Son of John and Barbara McDonald, of Springburn, Glasgow; husband of Hannah Notman McDonald, of Glasgow.

Oops! Late again.

Found dead at 6pm, with gunshot wound to the head at Fire Station, Quai Bassin Loubet, Boulogne

Court of Inquiry followed on December 22nd.

Conclusion: Accidentally shot in the head by a Lance Corporal of the Military Police, who discharged his revolver to ward off a crowd of Chinese Labourers who had gathered after one of their midst had been accused of stealing biscuits from a hangar on the quay.

• 1 year later...

I would appreciate any help. My wife has her Grandfather's Record of Service. Roydon Williard James Mcleod was a driver in the Army Service Corps stationed in Rouen. In civvy street he was an entertainer, tap dancing, playing banjo, yodelling, and performed a small magic act (once he had married Hilda Mary Duncan who was in Queen Mary's Auxiliary Corps as a clerk also in Rouen in 1919 where they met - she later joined him in his act after they left the service and would be sawn in half!). Sadly a lovely photo of him in a Pierrot Costume on stage has been lost . I am wondering if there would be any records of him perhaps entertaining his comrades in any concerts that might have been held? Thank you.

• Admin
On 14/05/2016 at 20:41, Peter Taylor said:

I would appreciate any help. My wife has her Grandfather's Record of Service. Roydon Williard James Mcleod was a driver in the Army Service Corps stationed in Rouen. In civvy street he was an entertainer, tap dancing, playing banjo, yodelling, and performed a small magic act (once he had married Hilda Mary Duncan who was in Queen Mary's Auxiliary Corps as a clerk also in Rouen in 1919 where they met - she later joined him in his act after they left the service and would be sawn in half!). Sadly a lovely photo of him in a Pierrot Costume on stage has been lost . I am wondering if there would be any records of him perhaps entertaining his comrades in any concerts that might have been held? Thank you.

The Pierrot costume/troupe was very popular as a Google images search will reveal. There are those who have a specific interest in concert parties but are unlikely to see your post tucked down here.

They are unlikely to see your post tucked down here I looked because I have an interest in the ASC!

You might have more luck if you start your own specific thread mentioning concert parties in the title, there are many similar threads as a forum search shows.

Hth

Ken

• 3 months later...

Hi chaps an lady's.

Hopefully one of you many knowledgeable humans could give me some guidance in my search. 

My GGF.

W J Chadderton 

Born in wallasey cheshire 1883 

Service No 38046 RE 

He received 1914-15 star so that shows he was in theatre during this time.

What I'm looking for is what company/corps he would of enroled with. There is a Earl of Chester yeomanry cap badge but i can't any suggestion that they had a sapper company. 

After reading this back I'm confused 

Hopefully you'll be able to work it out.  

• Admin
3 hours ago, DrewsFamily said:

Hi chaps an lady's.

Hopefully one of you many knowledgeable humans could give me some guidance in my search. 

My GGF.

W J Chadderton 

Born in wallasey cheshire 1883 

Service No 38046 RE 

He received 1914-15 star so that shows he was in theatre during this time.

What I'm looking for is what company/corps he would of enroled with. There is a Earl of Chester yeomanry cap badge but i can't any suggestion that they had a sapper company. 

After reading this back I'm confused 

Hopefully you'll be able to work it out.  

Hello and welcome to the forum, not sure why you have posted on this thread, confused I guess:-), but to assist you:-

the medal rolls show a block of men with the rank of 'Pioneer' arriving in France on various dates in September 1915.  The number series is 38040 - 48.  38047 Bramhill entered theatre on 19.9. 1915, the same date as Pte Chatterton and 38048 Rudd who was in the Postal Section as was Pioneer 38041 Grinham who entered  theatre on 21.9.1915.

38048 Rudd entered theatre same day as Bramhill and Chatterton.   He died while  in service and SDGW shows he too was in the Postal Section.

Like Pnr Bramhill the 1911 Census gives the occupation of Wallace John Chadderton as Postman.

So in the absence of a service record it's a fair bet your ggfather was in the Postal Section RE

Ken

Thank you very much  ken.

Is there any way of mw finding records regarding PO Section? After finding his roll card with the date of 19/9/15 so that would make him enter same date as named above. Do the PO carry records of service personnel.

Sorry to bombard you. 

Cheers Drew 

• Admin

Drew,

As previously mentioned this is an ASC thread, unfortunately not RE.  The Army Postal Service was a massive undertaking.  There are it appears two main avenues to search.

The British Postal Museum

http://www.postalheritage.org.uk/explore/history/firstworldwar/

and the RE museum

http://www.pcsbranch.org.uk

who hold an archive, link on the left of the above page.

Not really my area of research, fascinating though it may be so I don't know what information is in these archives.  However this earlier thread suggests there is a Roll of Honour which may confirm his service

Ken