Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War/Krieg

Guest ruthh

Hello,

I'm writing a dissertation on french and german novels on ww1 (including Remarque's 'All Quiet..', Renn's 'War', Arnoux' 'Indice 33' and Dorgeles 'Wooden Crosses'). I came across this site whilst researching.

I was just wondering if anyone's read 'War' by Ludwig Renn and has any comments or views on it? It's a good anti-war novel but I found it harder to read than 'All Quiet on the Western Front'!

Thanks very much

Ruthh,

Welcome to the forum!

I agree. It is a very 'personal' perspective of the actions, and does not really go into the bigger picture. A useful book to look at the attitudes prevalent at the time though.

Brendon.

Thanks Brendon- no I haven't read 'Verdun'- maybe I should give it a read.

Currently searching through 'War' trying to find the quote about where Renn metaphorically 'ceased to drink'... think that'll be good to stick in dissertation!

Hi Ruth,

I did my dissertation on literature of WW1 using Renn, Remarque, Jünger, Williamson, Aldington, Manning, Barbusse and Romains.

If you think I could be of any help contact me via email and I'll see what I can do.

What aspect are you looking at?

Thanks,

Tim

I enjoyed 'War' very much but agree it is harder to read than 'All Quiet...' and not quite as un-put-down-able!

If you have not done so already you must also read Henri Barbusses's 'Under Fire'.