Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for my great uncle who was killed in WW1.

jaldj634

Dear anyone who may be able to help,

I have been searching army records for my great uncle but not getting much joy. I have only recently found out about him and would love to know more about his service in WW1.

His name is William Davis Griffiths.

He was born in approx. 1891, at 16 Lord Street, Blaenau Festiniog, Merionethshire, Wales.

When he was 20, 1911, he worked in Cheshire, England, as a painter.

He was in WW1, I am presuming France. I have just found out he got 2 medals (I don't know yet which ones they were) and that sadly he was killed.

My great grandfather was in the great war, he was in the RWF. I was wondering if William would have been in the RWF too as they knew each other.

But, I'm only guessing.

Any help will be so appreciated, :-)

:poppy: JJ

Is this him?

Name: William Davies Griffiths

Birth Place: Festiniog, Merioneth

Death Date: 24 Nov 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Blaenau Festiniog, Merioneth

Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Battalion: 19th Battalion

Number: 20272

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

GRIFFITHS, WILLIAM DAVIES

Service No: 20272

Date of Death: 24/11/1917

Regiment/Service: Royal Welsh Fusiliers 19th Bn.

Panel Reference Panel 5.

Memorial CAMBRAI MEMORIAL, LOUVERVAL

Additional Information:

Son of Richard and Margaret Griffiths, of 38, Lord St., Blaenau-Festiniog, Merioneth.

The two medals will be the Victory Medal and the British War Medal. This simply means that he didn't enter a theatre of war until some time after 1915 and so wasn't entitled to a star.

I live in London. I would love some photos!! Do you live near there then? It is my aim to go and visit Blaenau Ffestiniog some day. I would love to know how you found him. I found one piece of document (I think it's the medal one?) of him after you gave me the info. Hope to find more, if there is any.

I'm in North Wales but can detour via Blaenau on one of many trips out that way so watch this space but don't hold your breath.

I have a soft spot for the place anyway.

Hello, here is W D Griffiths again on the panels inside the War Memorial Hospital Blaenau Ffestiniog along with William Griffiths who is a from Tan y Grisiau village close by.

William is on the Oakley Quarry Memorial but W D is not.

I have taken quite a few shots to include,the Oakley Memorial in case William turns out to be a relative, the hospital, 16 Lord St etc.

If you want them contact me pistyllg@btopenworld.com I'll send the file.

I am also looking elsewhere for info. but it's rainy day research so may take some time.

If I get anything you'll be the first to know.

Best rgards

P.S. All special but note bottom right corner shows how the misery is felt by all sections of the community. This is just one of at least four panels in the hospital.

It's a tricky camera handling exercise across a narrow corridor so apologies for the poor quality. I can try again sometime if you are dis appointed. J

post-40034-0-70929600-1348003041_thumb.j

Just amazing! Thank you so much for taking the trouble to go there and take photos.I can't believe you got there so quick! I would definitely love the file, I'll email you. Seeing all these names and more must have been awful for a small area of Wales to lose so many men.

I look forward to any info you find.....anytime.

Thank you once again!

I have been trying to find documents on William in Ancestry. I've put in his information but only got his medal roll card. Is it possible his documents might have been in the fire in WW2?

Help and advice much appreciated............ :poppy: