Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th KRRC Church Lads Photo?

jacks4jules

• 4 months later...

Hi

I've just come back to the GWF after a long absence as I have recently had a photo restored by the good people at RootsChat which revived my interest again (think I got the photo from Conijoni but not sure). The photo is of the group of Rochdale CLB volunteers for the 16th KRRC taken on 21st Sept 1914 and referenced by Audax in a Sept post on this thread. In the referenced article from the Manchester Evening News in 2008 it was stated that nobody was certain where it was taken. Well I would say very likely in Rochdale perhaps on the hill sloping down from the vicarage maybe. I have attached the photo and transcriptions of two clippings from the Rochdale Observer, the one dated 23rd Sept 1914 seems to be describing the events that may have taken place on the 21st. My connection is my father who is right at the back in the middle behind the bloke in uniform with a 'rifle', his expression seems to suggest he may be having second thoughts!

I have a larger version of the photo and images of the clippings iof anyone would like them, just PM me.

Bob

Hi Bob

I've only just joined this forum so forgive me if I'm not going about this correctly, but I'm doing some research into my grandfather and I feel sure he must be in the photo you've posted here. He was from Rochdale and joined up on 21 September 1914. He was in the KRRC and going off the date he went to France I believe he must have been in the 16th battalion, so there's a good chance he's one of these new recruits. If you could send me the larger version plus clippings I can then show them to my father and my aunt and they may be able to identify him.

But as I'm new to this I'm not sure if I need to do anything else?

Catherine

• 9 months later...
Guest Richard Burdett

My grandfather Charles Frederick Pepperell (Service No. R/16413) served with the 16th KRRC. He was a corporal in 'D' Company (do not know platoon number).

He was taken prisoner at Neuve Eglise on 13th April 1918 and saw out the last few months of the war at Gardelegen POW camp.

His service record does not appear to have survived, unlike him, he made it to 84. I have found a lot of interesting info about the 16th KRRC and still remember the stories he told me about three incidents he was involved in at the front, including his capture. Happy to share these if anyone is interested.

I cannot find any info about when he actually joined the Brigade, whether he was with the first contingent of volunteers or conscripted and joined later. If anybody can throw more light on this I would be extremely igrateful.

Richard Burdett

• 4 years later...
On 23/09/2012 at 18:02, Audax said:

from http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=30700 Photographer from Uxbridge. Possibly present in this photograph:

C/604 Bugler W Adams. Trans to Labour Corps 9.4.19

C/418 Bugler Alfred L Barlow. Discharged 23.5.19

C/676 Bugler John H Harrison. Discharged 19.3.19

C/589 Bugler Arnold Ingham. K in A 15.7.16 (High Wood) Age 21 (Born St Peter’s Ashton-U-Lyne) Son of John and Emily Ingham of 70, Marlborough Street, Ryecroft, Ashton-under Lyne. (Thiepval Memorial). (MIC shows Private)

C/193 Bugler William Nightingale. Discharged 17.2.19

C/678 Bugler Richard Coote Southwell. K in A 28.1.16 (Born Pontefract, Yorks. Enlisted Pontefract. Son Richard Coote Southwell and Lily Southwell of Mill Lane, Pontefract, Yorks. (Loos Memorial).

C/658 Bugler Frank Stanier. Enlisted 23.9.14 Discharged 4.4.18 Trench Feet.

C/406 Bugler Stanley O Webb. Enlisted 21.9.14. Discharged 21.3.17. Wounds (Glastonbury

Picture.jpg

I think first left,second row is my great grandfather John Henry Harrison. Do you know if I can confirm this somewhere?

On 05/09/2012 at 22:16, jacks4jules said:

Here is the full picture have done my best resizing but its not great.

Am hoping it is CLB but got my doubts?

post-32154-0-30599800-1346879767_thumb.j

Where did you get this photo from?

2 hours ago, Karen H said:

Where did you get this photo from?

The OP's photo was originally on fleaBay.  See my post higher up ...