Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th KRRC Church Lads Photo?

jacks4jules

On 30/09/2012 at 02:08, old owl said:

Hi All,

I wonder if this chap features anywhere in your research?

Captain Edward Maurice Gonner, M.C., 16th(CLB)Bn K.R.R.C., Kia 23/4/17, age 22. He was the son of Rev.E.P.Gonner and Mrs Gonner of 12,Yew Tree Rd., Edgbaston, Birmingham and was educated at Dean Close School, Cheltenham and Lincoln College, Oxford. He was one of the original officers of the battalion having been commissioned a 2/Lt into this Bn on 29/3/15.

Robert

His medals were sold by DNW in 2002 see http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/searchcataloguearchive/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=30540

His MC (without citation) here http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30111/supplements/5479/page.pdf

E M Gonner is mentioned three times in this GWF post by Chris Baker see

His medals were sold by DNW in 2002 see http://www.dnw.co.uk...so?itemid=30540

His MC (without citation) here http://www.london-ga...s/5479/page.pdf

E M Gonner is mentioned three times in this GWF post by Chris Baker see http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=125006

Thanks Audax, very useful information. I actually bought the group in 2005 for less than the DNW hammer price of 2002!!

Hi 13thchesh. Conijoni here. Have not been visiting the site as often lately so am sorry to keep you waiting. You could send me a personal message at any time. I watched the sale on ebay with interest but as my friend was bidding on it, I did not bid. Am pleased the photo went to a good home. Anyway...can confirm that this IS a photo of the 16th KRRC at Denham. It is a picture of 'C' Company taken before the issue of uniform, which was initially the blue uniform. It was not only uniforms the battalion had to wait on, but rifles as well. When they were inspected by the Archbishop of Canterbury the men paraded with wooden staves, just like Boy Scouts carried in the early days. The picture you have appeared in the January 1915 issue of 'The brigade' and this is how I can confirm its identity. As the photo is in a magazine its quality is not very good, so I would like to take up your offer of a good quality scan. Will send my email address by personal message.

Was it normal for the front rank to all smoke pipes whilst marching?

post-7977-0-20707900-1349022770_thumb.jp

Field Service Regulations 1912 and Infantry Training 1914 para 112 sec 6, discouraged smoking on the march; no mention of pipes.

post-7977-0-20707900-1349022770_thumb.jp

Field Service Regulations 1912 and Infantry Training 1914 para 112 sec 6, discouraged smoking on the march; no mention of pipes.

Thanks Audax,

I suppose at this early stage of the war and presumably being ignorant of such regulations, these officers possibly thought that they were setting a good example to the men!!?? Or was it some sort of Status symbol?

Robert

Firstly sorry have been snowed under at work and home since I posted my question and not seen the replies. So I was thrilled to read all the information and replies amazing thank you.

Thank Audax , MBrockway,Llew and conijoni !!!

I was hoping that William Crook MM (Bolton) or William Keighley (Pontefract) would be in the photo. Though I do have photographs of both soldiers it would have been nice to have with there company.

The additional photographs are great thanks.

Thanks everyone

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning All,

I have just joined the GWF and came accross this. I have a book which has a little about the CLB 16th (s) K.R.R.C. It's called the Somme by Lyn Macdonald. In the authors notes it has a list of soldiers quoted. There is also a photo of one one of the CLB platoons. It also states details of their training days upto the battle of the Somme.

I hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Ashley

I have another candidate for being in the photo:

Rifleman George William Slyfield, C/1340, born 1897 at Crowthorne, Berks, enlisted at Denham, Bucks, DOW 2nd July 1916, listed on Loos Memorial.

I have already found his MIC and traced him in the censuses but any snippets or photos of him would be very welcome.

Andrewr

Here's some candidates for the photo.

Cpl J Beament MM (CLB) 1 Platoon A Coy 16th KRRC

Sgt J Brown MM 3 Platoon A Coy 16th KRRC

Rfl H R Langley

Rfl F Pearce (CLB)

Charles (Charlie) Rogers

32 CLB worked at a paper mill in Croxley Green Herts.

Regards, Ashley

There are a few more men with a "C" prefix, but no Battalion shown.

C/1765 L/Cpl. Albert john Huckle 114, Trinity Lane Hinckley

C/12866 Rflmn. George Bradford Griffin Inn Glenfield (12th Btn shown on AVL)

C/12433 Cpl. Charles Sage 27, Newcombe Street Little Bowden (52nd Btn shown on AVL)

Regards.

Llew.

I should point out that the 'C/' prefix with higher numbers was also used for 17/KRRC, 18/KRRC, 20/KRRC and 21/KRRC as well as some of the reserve/training battalions made up of surplus men who had enlisted under the recruitment campaigns for these later New Army battalions.

Having a 'C/' prefix does not automatically mean the rifleman was in 16/KRRC.

Cheers,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Another Leicestershire man serving,

45170 Pte. William Newmans

16th Battalion KRRC as per the AVL

35, Victoria Road, Woodhouse Eaves, Leics.

Regards.

Llew.

• 6 months later...

Hi

I've just come back to the GWF after a long absence as I have recently had a photo restored by the good people at RootsChat which revived my interest again (think I got the photo from Conijoni but not sure). The photo is of the group of Rochdale CLB volunteers for the 16th KRRC taken on 21st Sept 1914 and referenced by Audax in a Sept post on this thread. In the referenced article from the Manchester Evening News in 2008 it was stated that nobody was certain where it was taken. Well I would say very likely in Rochdale perhaps on the hill sloping down from the vicarage maybe. I have attached the photo and transcriptions of two clippings from the Rochdale Observer, the one dated 23rd Sept 1914 seems to be describing the events that may have taken place on the 21st. My connection is my father who is right at the back in the middle behind the bloke in uniform with a 'rifle', his expression seems to suggest he may be having second thoughts!

I have a larger version of the photo and images of the clippings iof anyone would like them, just PM me.

Bob

Sept 19th 1914.doc

Sept 23rd 1914.doc

post-4142-0-37285800-1371434320_thumb.jp

Welcome back Bob - great to hear from you again!

Hope all's well down under.

Cheers,

Mark

G'Day Mark, thanks very much for the welcome. Everything is great in Terra Australis, it's even raining!

Cheers

Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest Essexgurl

Hello all, I stumbled on this forum while looking for information on the K.R.R.C CLB battn, my Great Uncle Frank Albert Tracey born 7 March 1893 enlisted in this regiment on 18 September 1914 at Colchester, Essex his regimental number was C79 which is a lot lower than the ones I have read about in this thread, I do not know if this means he was among the first to enlist or if it was geographical.

While searching for information on him in the newspaper on findmypast I came across the attached snippet of his death but not the hoped for photo sadly.

I would welcome any information on the KRRC or the CLB to flesh out his bones.

Many thanks

Essexgurlpost-100810-0-88240200-1375381448_thumb.

Essexgurl - you might have had more responses by starting new thread about Rfn Tracey!

C/79 would indicate a very early enlistment into 16/KRRC (= the KRRC CLB battalon) and it would be 99.99% certain that he would have come from a Church Lad's Brigade background.

Johnny Conn (Pal conijoni) can probably add more - he has a lot of info about the early enlisters. If you're very lucky, there might also be a photo of Rfn Tracey in the CLB's archive.

What was Frank's date of death?
Cheers,
Mark

Hi Essexgurl.

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you have already done a lot of research into your G. Uncle, Rfn Tracey. You may already know but his service records have survived (39 pages,(page1570-1605)). I had a quick skim through them and it seems your G. Uncle was in `A` company of, as Mark says in post 48, 16/KRRC. DOD. 10/03/1918.

All the best,

Joe.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Essexgurl

Hi Mark and Joe

Sorry about the delay in my response, yes I do have his service records from Ancestry.co.uk but they are not the easiest to read. I was hoping maybe to have found a photo of him.

Many thanks for you replies

Carol