Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is this map reference? northern Italy

Seany

Michael, nice maps giving a view of the bigger picture. Thanks for posting.

Thank you for the link but I really need a more precise position - I find the Italian map siuation frustrating and note a number of similiar threads on the forum have led others to the same opinion - for WF there are great resources especially the McMasters website but for Italy, no. but thank you anyway apart from venting my frustration it did help a bit.

really want something like the good quality WF trench maps

If 'Italy' is anything like 'Gallipoli', then you only come across these things by accident in the WDs

Good hunting

Michael

They appear to be pretty rare and therefore being able to identify a precise position for a battery is very difficult - but if it was too easy where would be the fun

Our untutored tour of some Italian war areas early last summer suggests there are some local tourist guides, in English, though it seems that the booklet planned for the Piave area is not yet published.

We also found that some work is being done by local historians, for instance trying to discover personal details of men burried in local military cemeteries. It is worth contacting the local library by e-mail to see if anyone is working on your area.

The commune of Arsiero has a good website (in Italian) which includes a map. http://www.comune.arsiero.vi.it

Assuming the first part of your reference is the scale of the map? Entering the subsequent reference H144.115 on this map, appears to reference a point in another town Bassano del Grappa - Monte Grappa is a famous Italian battle. But it isnt clear to us what your reference relates to so may be this is a freak of Google?

You may find it interesting to browse the First World War sites already linked to the website of Arsiero.

Thank you - I'll check it out - certainly the battery were in action on the Piave and around the general vicinity of the Grappa but had moved to the Asiago plateau by the time they were cited at this reference - my gripe is the lack of decent maps from 1918 Italy for the British part. Buth thank yoiu.

Don't forget that artillery units were often detached from their nominal colleagues. It wasn't uncommon for batteries to stay in place while the infantry withdrew for a rest and to work with the relieving infantry, sometimes even staying in line until their own people returned. In this case, it could be that their 'home' division had moved to the Plateau but that they had to stay in line in the Grappa area until their replacements arrived, especially if the new artillery positions were different and needed to be constructed. Some of the military engineering I saw earlier this year on the Plateau was extensive and would have been quite major undertakings, needing a lot of time and effort, since much of it had to be blasted out of the limestone bedrock.

Keith

They appear to be pretty rare

The 'Allied' sectors of the Italian front were actually quite intensively 'trench-mapped' (especially by the French - many British trenchmaps of Italy are actually on French maps (hence the 1:25,000 scaling for example). To be honest, they're only slightly rarer than Western front trenchmaps of the same era and , fortunately in my case, appear to be less collectable (though not many have been published online or in digital format). Saying that though, unfortunately, I miss the required sector by a matter of a few hundred yards in my own collection, though I do have much of the 'H' section covered.

Dave

(PS. there is at least one trench map of Italy on the McMasters website, by the way, but this one is just outside of the area required also (it's also been totally misfiled on McMasters as being under sheet 37 (Tournai, etc) ... dating from June 1918, it is 'Sheet 37 & 38 (parts of)', but is part of the Sheet 37 map for Italy, not France (and is entitled 'Sartori' anyway... geography not a hot subject at McMasters? :whistle: )