Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mezzaselva - May 1918

Seany

I am trying to understand the significance of a major British artillery attack on Mezzaselva on the 31st May 1918. An order from GHQ on the 30th May stated that -

‘all heavy and field artillery of this British forces that can bear will carry out a life killing and destructive bombardment of MEZZASELVA at 2.30pm on Friday 31st May’

I am struggling to find any decent information source to understand why this was ordered. I hypothesise that Mezzaselva and its surrounding area was a highly strategic target particularly if the Austrians were planning a major offensive (obviously battles of Piave and Asiago in June) it was a heavily fortified area marking the territory between Austria and Italy and provided railway access into Italy for the Austrian forces. In particular the nearby fort of Franzenfeste was used as a major military ammunition dump. Do you agree that Mezzaselva would have been a significant staging post for the upcoming Austrian offensive?

ok - so the spelling was wrong and it is MezzEselva not MezzAselva and is in a totally different place and much near Asiago. so the position makes much more sense for my battery but the reason remains a mystery.

So, I have a whole topic to myself - I've just noticed that the chat room is empty maybe I'll pop in there and talk to myself too - hurrah 600th post

• 11 years later...

Hello @Seany

I read your discussion from some time ago, I hope you can read it but I also sent an email to your address which is in your profile.

First I wanted to tell you that my son Michael and I are often at the sites of the great war frequented by English soldiers in the Asiago plateau, we live not far away and we are passionate about the great war that took place in the mountains of our home.

I wanted to highlight two things: the correct name of the locality is Mezzaselva, and precisely today Mezzaselva di Roana.

Secondly, there is a very specific reason why in May 1918 the English batteries were sweeping through the Mezzaselva area, many of the Austro-Hungarian batteries were concentrated there and were beating the areas garrisoned by the English, Italians and French between Asiago, Canove and Cesuna which were then the primary hypothetical breakthrough scheduled for 15 June 1918... This is why the reason for the concentration was to try to silence as many enemy batteries as possible