Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Norfolk Bn on Somme up tp 20th July

KIRKY

Hi researching my Gt Uncle killed at Delville Wood July 1916, anyone got the Diaries for the Somme area I can have a read of? Going over there in a fewc weeks and would like to walk his steps.

Tony

Tony

who was he?

Cheers

Chris

Chris , he was Pte Charles James Riseborough 22396 killed 19th July1916.

He is related to my late Grandmother, her brother was Percy Pull M.M. 14890 who was in 9th Norfolks , got some pics of him if you want me to send them to you?

tony

Thats fantastic and detailed, great, will walk his steps from Carnoy

Tony :poppy: :poppy:

• 6 years later...

This is an old topic I know, but it has been very useful to me as my Great Uncle William Robert Burlingham born 1888, Larling, Norfolk  was at Trones Wood and sustained a compound fracture of his upper leg on 20th July.  I have notes from his medical records which are now available on FMP - he was in 10 att. * Battalion D company so I assume he was in the reserve company of men.  He was taken by No. 21 Ambulance Train to Camiers.  At least, this is what I understand the record to mean, as I think the train was in France.  Anyone who knows better, I would be grateful for the details!

He lost his leg either in General Hospital 18 at Camiers or back in England but as he was in Camiers for 2 weeks I would have thought they would amputate there.  

He had a false leg and worked as a farm labourer and warrener and used to bike around perfectly with it.

Brave men all.

Iris Taylor