Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help ID a Soldier

Guest Hill 60

Dave,

Officially the issue was to made of Nr 1 Russian Gold Braid. This is the stuff that came in rolls and had to be cut to length and sewn on. This issue was only once to each incident of wounding. Due to Fyscal frugality the cost of sewing on the stripe was not to be born at public expense. The Nr 1 Gold Braid is found in the Priced Vocabulary through 1918. The issue pieces were not supplied with Serge material. The information I have on the issue of the Russian Gold Braid goes through Jan of 1918. The Brass ones may have entered the AOD supply after or around this date.

All of the Brass wound Stripes appear to have been types found via the EFC, although I don't have anything near a complete picture on this process. The Brass stripes could either be purchased regimentally or by the soldier. I've only seen one original with Serge material but don't doubt this occurred as serge material was plentiful. I've never encountered one on a SD jacket, but as you point out photos show it does exist. Don't think there is a difference between the brass ones marked Nr 2 and Nr 4. I've only two stripes loose and around two dozen on jackets and Frocks. Most back plates are unmarked but I have some with Nr 4 and some Nr 2 and I can't see any difference. I have most of Chappel's works and the one you mention although I've learned to be very skeptical about his illustrations "Many mistakes".

Joe Sweeney

Only one bloke fits the bill, Charles Stone- 83rd Brigade RFA.  The VC was awarded for actions in March 1918 in France.

It's got me... I'm way confused now.

Frank - I've looked at a photo of Charles Stone and he doesn't look like 'my' man :(

I really am confused on this one :wacko:

I think Rajar is also a place in Pakistan, near the border with India.

I have had a look at this very interesting photo and have a couple of points to make:

1) Don't be confused by the "Cartolina Postale" on the rear of the card as this is no definitive proof that the photograph was taken in Italy. I have several photos in my collection from French, Indian and German photographers with this printed on the back. As Martin Willis says, this is likely to indicated the origin of the supplier of the photographic card rather than the place where it was taken.

2) The man is definitely from 29th Division as he is wearing both the Divisional sign (red triangle) and the Divisional "Badge of Merit".

3) It is likely that this man was a holder of the DCM rather than the VC as

when the ribbon is worn alone a miniature of the Cross is pinned on it. A bar being indicated by a second miniature worn beside the first (when first approved in 1916, a single miniature indicated the award of a bar; from 1917 this was changed. There is not much contrast between the blue and red on the MM ribbon in this photo so the DCM would display even less of a contrast without any white to pick out the design.

It may be possible, looking at the combination of insignia, overseas service stripes and the "smart" appearance of the soldier in question that the photo was taken sometime in late 1918/early 1919, possibly somewhere in Cologne where 29th Division served after the Armistice.

Andrew - I'm starting to think it is a DCM ribbon he has rather than the VC. Even if I never find out who he was I still like the picture :)

Hello Lee

Yes, it is an excellent photo - I am jealous!

It is a shame that I can't make out the shoulder title from the picture because I think that would be the major clue in trying to tie down who the chap is.

Andrew - I showed the picture to some of the members of my local WFA branch and they expressed the same jealousy, especially when they found out I only paid £1.50 (about 6 months ago) :lol: