Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for a photograph of a sapper from the Canadian Engineers Named

nixonman

The medal below was the first British named medal in my collection. My father bought it at Star Stamps & Coins in about 1997 and it was issued to Ernest Christopher Dennison. I have been looking for a picture of Dennison for years - if anyone can help me find one, I would apreciate it greatly.

Here is some more information on Dennison:

Dennison was born on June 17th, 1872 in Penrith, Cumbria, England to John D. and Jane Dennison. His father was a local timber merchant and lawyer.

After immigrating to the United States, Ernest settled in St. Louis, Missouri with his wife Mary E. (Ducksbury) Dennison (1870 - 1945). Ernest worked as an electrician and lived with his family at 5891 Easton Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri.

In October 1917, Ernest traveled to Toronto, Ontario to enlist in the army and was sworn in on the 29th of that same month. During World War I, Ernest served as a sapper in the Canadian Engineers.

According to Ernest's Attestation Paper, he was 5 ft. 7 ½ in., he had blue eyes, dark brown hair, and he belonged to the Church of England.

After the conclusion of the war, Ernest was given the British World War I service and victory medals, though the location of the victory medal remains unknown.

Sometime after coming home from Europe, Ernest and Mary moved to 5623 Cote Brilliant Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri. Mary died at this home on January 27, 1945. Sometime later, Ernest married Florence (Cliff) Dennison (? - ~1953).

On August 23, 1953, while visiting family in the Penrith area, a tour bus carrying Ernest and Florence crashed. Florence died of the wounds suffered during this accident, known as the Huck's Brow Tragedy, and Ernest died a year later.

Ernest was interred at Valhalla Cemetery on October 22, 1954.

post-91263-0-25231100-1346458783_thumb.j