Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Murder Most 'Orrid. Looking for soldier's details

Guest Pete Wood

Guest deepathart

Racing Teapots,

Further to my PM re the Crumbles Murder of Irene Munro 1921.

I have found out how Grandad became involved.

Apparently he aquired a bike, that was not his own, and ended up in the "NICK".

Just after the Murder he was doing the daily exercise around the yard and one of the "associates" of the two murderers and Grandad were talking, this "chap" told Grandad, how, when and where they ditched the body. They did it for a "Lark" 'cause she wouldn't come across.

He turned "Kings Evidence" by giving the "Bobbies" the information, they checked out the information, some which was known only by them, he got off and they got caught.

So he was the tip off.

In the court at their trial Grandad had to appear for the Crown, (I didn't think a snitch, had to appear) anyway during his information, they threatened that they would get him and his family.

Fortunately for him they were convicted and hanged.

Regards

Dee

Guest deepathart

Racing Teapots,

Thank you so much for this info - I have printed it off but unfortunately the last couple of inches is missing off the pages - must be a bit long for the Forum site.

Can you Please email me the copy - hate to ask as you have been good enough to search it out for me - but I would like the transcript for my records.

I notice at one point they have printed his name as Richard Thomas Dallington, just proves you cant trust the media to get it right all the time.

Thanks you once again it is much appreciated.

Regards

Dee

Dear Teapots,

Here's an article about a soldier murdering another soldier while at Witley training camp in 1916. I've looked up the individuals mentioned in the article and here's the background information.

Pte. Alex Leternuk, #684995. Enlisted with 171st Batt. CEF, Windsor, Ontario, October 1916. Born Chernigo, Russia. This may be Chernihiv, Ukraine. A. Leternuk's Attestation

Corp. William Palmer, #684003, 171st Battalion, died Dec. 7, 1916. Buried at Witley, Surrey, U.K. W. Palmer - record on CVM

Witness: Pte. Kirill Kochniuk, #684911, Born Minsk, Russia. K. Kochniuk's Attestation

post-1-1098844315.jpg

• 2 years later...

Here's a few:

Soldiers (serving and former) connected with murder. I have newspaper clippings for many of these cases, but I'd welcome further facts on units which these men served in, and photos etc.

Cronin, William John

Fifty four year old William Cronin was a ship's fireman who was convicted of murdering Alice Garret, whose throat he cut on 14th June. After being sentenced by Mr Justice Swift, Cronin said 'Thank you. I'm very glad that you have sentenced an innocent man to death!' He was hanged by Robert Baxter, assisted by Edward Taylor. The sentence was carried out on the 14th August 1925 in Pentonville.

Hi

do you have any further details of this person ?

Kind regards

Lyn

Mr Wood has not been a member of this forum for a couple of years now and is unable to see your replies.

TR

Pete Wood hasn't been on the Forum for a while:

There was an article in the Times of 31-7-1925 regarding his appeal:

post-6536-1183572257.png

Steve.

Marina

Do you have anymore details on Pc Gutteridge?

Ed

There is a good article about this murder (and the forensic ballistics used to trap the killers by linking spent cartridge cases to their webley that was used for the killing) can be found on the Metropolitan Police website (I think).

PAB

Marina

Ed

There is a good article about this murder (and the forensic ballistics used to trap the killers by linking spent cartridge cases to their webley that was used for the killing) can be found on the Metropolitan Police website (I think).

PAB

Marina

Ed

PAB

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago I bought a book from the late 1920s or early 1930s, called "Famous Crimes of Recent Times", at a jumble sale.

I seem to remember one of the murder cases included was related to a Jewish soldier from London, either at the very end of the Great War or in its immediate wake, but I don't recall any of the details (not even sure if he was the victim or the perp). I'll see if I can find it in the attic and scan the relevant bits.

Cheers,

JWF

Dennis Nielsen, ex Army Catering Corp. Convicted in October 1983 of murdering at least 15 people.

Army Catering Corps Chef and he only killed fifteen? :blink::blink:

A few years ago an old tiger (leics) told me that there was a commotion in the trenches at a new arrival. This was Archibald Ernest Page who came to the front in 'about 1916'. My contact asked him if he was the murderer of a girl who was killed and left in a drain near to Leicester. He was a spurned lover who had been stalking the woman for a while before the murder.

He was tried and found guilty in 1909 and commuted to life. He was released to fight in the Leicesters and survived the War. What became of him poist War I dont know but it is quite likely he emigrated.

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I recently came across the case of David Greenwood of the Leicestershire Regiment.

On 9 February 1918, Nellie Trew went missing from her home in Plumstead. She had left home to visit the local library and when she did not return, her father went to the police. Her body was discovered the next day on Eltham Common. She had been raped and strangled. The area was searched by police and a brass badge bearing the tiger insignia of the Leicestershire Regiment was found attached by a piece of wire to a bone coat button. The police gave this information to the press and a photograph of the badge and button was published.

A workman named Ted Farrell thought he recognised the badge. It was similar to one worn on the coat of a workmate called David Greenwood. Farrell asked Greenwood about this and he told him that he had sold the badge to a man he had met on a tram. During his lunch break, Greenwood went to Tottenham Court Road police station and made a statement. Detectives investigated his story and found out that Greenwood once lived near to the victim and probably knew her. The following day, Detective Inspector Carlin went to Greenwood's place of employment and arrested him. On their way to Scotland Yard, Carlin saw that Greenwood's coat didn't have any buttons. On closer inspection, he saw a tear in the material as if a button had been pulled off. Carlin was sure of Greenwood's guilt but the police had no hard evidence to link him to the crime.

Further investigation disclosed that the wire that had been found attached to the badge was part of a spring of a type used at Greenwood's place of work.Greenwood maintained that he had sold the button some time before the killing but this was contradicted by Farrell and other workers.

Greenwood was tried at the Old Bailey on 24 April 1918. The jury took just three hours to return a verdict of guilty, adding a recommendation to mercy because of Greenwood's war record. This was dismissed by the judge and Greenwood was sentenced to hang. on the eve of his execution, he was reprieved and his sentence commuted to one of penal servitude for life.

• 4 months later...

Christie

Mick

he was executed 15/07/53 so yes probably

Mick

John Christie was arrested on 31 March 1953. On June 8 1953 he confessed to the murder of Beryl Evans, but not to that of the baby. Christie's defence of not guilty by reasons of insanity was rejected by an Old Bailey jury and on 15 July 1953 he was hanged at Pentonville Prison, London.

read somewhere that Captain john Lauder( son of sir Harry Lauder)1/8th Argyll&Sutherland Highlanders was murdered by his own men.28/12/1916.Buried ovillers military cemetery.Not sure if true or not.

It is quite possible that John Reginald Halliday Christie's medals are out there somewhere as was known to have sold off many of his possesions before he left 10 Rillington Place to go on the run shortly before he was arrested. If I remember rightly, he claimed that being gassed during the Great War had affected his breathing / health to such an extent that he was not physically capable of murder. A wartime comrade from his battalion gave evidence at his trial that Christie had not suffered from any injury during the war. I have this man's name somewhere.

Another Canadian murder.

Sergeant Henry Marquis Ozanne, 9th Canadian Mounted Rifles, a native of Guernsey was beaten to death with a trench-club at Arundel House, Grayshott on 8 December 1915. His attacker as Lietenant Georges Coderre of the 41st Bn C.E.F. Motive for the murder was theft of the 9th CMR canteen funds.

Coderre was found guilty and sentenced to death at the Winchester Assizes on 5 February 1915. I do not believe the sentence was ever carried out as testimony at trial had firmly established the fact that Coderre was a nutter.

Ozanne's attestation paper is annotated "Deceased Murdered" http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc013/561685a.gif

Frank Hartley of the Welland Canal Force (Canada) was charged with the October 8, 1914 murder of A. T. Burgoyne.

I also recall reading something about a uniformed body being found floating in Lake Ontario somewhere along the Niagara Peninsula; can't recall off hand when this was, or if it was ever determined who he was and how he died.

When I was a serving prison officer, one of the orderlies wasa lifer having killed a hells angel in an argument over a woman. we used to chat about his service in the KOYLI's. That weekend at a fair I picked up a nice booklet describing the disbanding of the regiment, it included group photos of the constituent companies. I took it in and showed him, the pictures not only included him but also his brother who was a SNCO who had served in Malaya....the following week in a Fred S Walland catalogue the brothers GSM, bar Malaya, appeared.

Mick