Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What infomation can you get on Mentioned in Dispatches?

RHD

Hi,

Apart from the London Gazzette that says nothing as to why they were mentioned in dispatches, is there any way to get more information on why this was awarded?

Hi,

Apart from the London Gazzette that says nothing as to why they were mentioned in dispatches, is there any way to get more information on why this was awarded?

The Oxford Dictionary states:-

Mentioned in dispatches

Be commended for one’s actions by name in an official military report: eg the squadron can be proud of the fact that two of the aircrew were mentioned in dispatches

Clearly there must be Named official reports to located in the archive to support the MID, which can cover a range of valorous deeds. Try the National archives.

Will

• Admin

It is 'very rare to find an individual mention' see

http://www.1914-1918.net/despatches.htm

The Despatches were usually published in the Times, together with the men who were 'mentioned' (as well as the LG) it may be possible to piece together why a soldier was 'mentioned' if you can identify what his unit was doing at the time and what happened to him after the event e.g. if he was wounded.

This is very speculative as sometimes the 'mention' might be for sustained good work over the period of the campaign the Despatch refers to, for example a staff officer or Battalion Commander.

The mention (or despatch) often came quite a while after the event so the war diary is of limited help (other than identifying events).

Local papers may have picked it up if it was in the LG or proud relatives may have told the local newspaper. It is perhaps worth mentioning that the MID could be a posthumous 'mention'.

The only other place to look is in the service record which may or may not have a note of the mention, but again these do not usually specify the reason.

You can probably access the Times archive at home through your local library service.

Ken

Dependant on the Unit you might also find something in the war diary or in Army Orders.

The local press is always the best place to start - you might even get a photograph with caption.

Try to find out what books are available on the unit - you never know.

Its all pot luck really, but the advice above is all sound.

As already mentioned, about the only places you may find information on why someone was mentioned is in unit war diaries, unit histories or newspaper articles. My guess would be that you will only be successful about 1% of the time.

I agree that it is rare to find out much about MID's. However, every so often things can turn up. I have a trio with MID to a CAMC corporal and in the war diary is the following: "Cpl.Fowlie was our carpenter and throughout his stay of over two years... worked with untiring zeal and devotion to duty, and his efficient work did much to assist this unit to gain an enviable reputation."

Recently I acquired a lovely MM and pair to a man with the Eaton Machine Gun Battery, 2nd Motor Machine Gun Brigade,CEF. His MM was won at Amiens, but his gallantry continued . In the October entries in the war diary is a recommendation for a mention in despatches "for most conspicuous good work in action as a motor cycle scout during the operations Oct.1-11,1918." Sadly he did not get the MID, which would have gone very nicely with his MM and pair.

Cheers,

Terry

• 1 year later...

Were you looking for any regiment or soldier in particular?

I have a list of all men M.I.D. along with all other awards up until June 1915 if that helps anyone.

I`ve been searching to try and find any such records for the dates after this, but no joy so far.