Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Woman Buys Rare Verdun Medal at Garage Sale For A Pittance

ph0ebus

Never seem to have any Pittances on me and if the language of the press is to be believed that's the currency in which bargains are sold. . What's the $ Pittance exchange rate these days? Possibly when Greece drops out of the Euro She'll start using the Pittance.

Never seem to have any pittances on me and if the language of the press is to be believed that's the currency in which bargains are sold. . What's the $ pittance exchange rate these days?

Round these parts a Pittance is somewhere between a Kennedy and a crumpled Washington.

-Daniel

What was the final price Daniel ? You didn't mention or are there not enough zeros on your keyboard. :w00t:

What a coincidence ...... I'm headed to New braunfels for this weekend! Will be celebrating my birthday with daughter and son-in-law.

Ann

The article says it cost a "slight pittance" - last time I looked there were 5 slight pittances to a pittance - presume she sold it on E**y for a "kings ransom". They dont appear to say.

For those not yet aware and have been watching this topic the medal is just a keepsake made in the tens of thousands for the tourist market. Not issued for gallantry or bravery. Just for profit.

Avid antiquer? I thought 'antiquer' was made up word, the last time I heard it was on an episode of Frasier.

Avid antiquer? I thought 'antiquer' was made up word, the last time I heard it was on an episode of Frasier.

From the same source as a "medaler" (used in the Olympic commentaries) I suspect.

I phoned Radio Leeds and asked them to stop using the word medaler and the word 'medaling', they did for a while but then I heard another presenter talking about golding, silvering and bronzing.

Antiquer used to mean someone who created antiques (a form of forgery) by adding a patina etc, rather like someone who distressed reproduction furniture (sometimes with a shotgun)

That has brought us back on topic nicely, a token with value only to its owner. Evidently GCSE's have gone the same way.

Still don't know the final sale pricel the article's end is for susbcribers only and I really don't feel like shelling out any coin to find out. Trying to find the dompleted auction on eBay now.

Daniel

PS are 'whinging' and 'whining' the same thing?

Yes, it is a silent 'G' in whining.

Yes, it is a silent 'G' in whining.

Ha ha, medals and winning whinging people.... love it!!