Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry Military Census 1911

hazelclark

Tonight I tried to access the Ancestry Military Census for India and found that it is no longer possible to browse the actual names. Does anyone know why or when this happened?

Hazel C

Hazel I too have noticed a change in the last couple of days (for the worse) They seem to have also removed the " use old search" function, though they did say they were doing away with it. I'm hoping I will get the hang of it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Mike

Mike

I too, prefer using the "old search" and it is still working today for me in the census search. I was once told to go to the green bar at the top, and place the cursor on Search and click - perhaps twice and this brings back the old search. Don't click on any of the words that appear on the drop down menu. The words "old search" should appear in the top right hand corner below the green task bar.

Normally I would test this before sending but I don't want to upset my set up which is working well at present. Hence my suggestion sounds very vague!

Hope this works for you.

June

• Admin

June

I just tested your suggestion and I can confirm it works if you hover over Search, wait for hte drop down list then click on the main Search item. Click again to go back to "new Search" or on the link in the upper right.

Glen

• 1 month later...

Getting back to my original post; has anyone figured out how to browse the overseas military census yet? i tried going back to the old search facility but it still only gives what looks to me like summary pages for India. They are no good to man or beast!

Ancestry does not seem to be answering questions.

Thanks for any info.

Hazel

See Martin G's post #40. BAsically you need to changethe Civil Parish setting from "All" to "Not Stated".

Glen

Thankyou - that works but i would never have figured it out on my own. With the summaries available in that format it does make it easier to find the battalion you want - provided you can figure out where to look!!!! I got fed up trying to navigate their various "help" sections. I have been at it all night and it is after midnight and past mybedtime and i am now tired and cranky so thankyou very much.

H

Can you give a link to the summary page, I can't even find that :doh:

Give them a phone Click I found them very helpful.

Cheers Mike

Glen's info. will help you find the lists of men. When you go to the England Census 1911 (not the summary books) you havethe option to browse the records by scrolling down the county list(on the right hand side) to"military" and choosing "all" for parish to get the summaries. Choose "India" or the country you want in the scroll down menu and you will get the summaries. when you know where the record you want is you can change "All" to"Not stated" and you will get the actual records.

Hope this makes sense - i amfalling asleep!

H.

Thanks for this Hazel. I had been trying to access the 1911 military summary books via the England Summary, not the individual census records (how illogical is that! :whistle: ). I had achieved the same result by viewing a random 1911 Census record (non-military) then clicking on the county in the viewer and selecting military from the drop down menu. I found it made no difference what I selected as parish because it disappeared when I selected India as Enumeration District.

Next question is how can you find and browse the individual 1911 military census records from the search page? They are there of course, as I've attached a few to my various family trees, so I could always start from one of those.

Just seems Ancestry's made a b__ up organising these records. I have a query outstanding with them on how to browse the summary records and their latest response was "I regret that I still do not have an answer for you regarding how to find these specific records. I am working with my supervisor to find an answer to your query."

On a totally different topic I see you're interested in the 1st Seaforths. I have a tangential interest in one officer who was with them at the Delhi Durbar and then died of wounds in France on 11 Mar 1915 - Rupert Auriol Conant Murray. He was the brother-in-law of a chap I'm researching so I know a little about him and would be interested in anything you know in turn.

Thanks for this Hazel. I had been trying to access the 1911 military summary books via the England Summary, not the individual census records (how illogical is that! :whistle: ). I had achieved the same result by viewing a random 1911 Census record (non-military) then clicking on the county in the viewer and selecting military from the drop down menu. I found it made no difference what I selected as parish because it disappeared when I selected India as Enumeration District.

Next question is how can you find and browse the individual 1911 military census records from the search page? They are there of course, as I've attached a few to my various family trees, so I could always start from one of those.

Just seems Ancestry's made a b__ up organising these records. I have a query outstanding with them on how to browse the summary records and their latest response was "I regret that I still do not have an answer for you regarding how to find these specific records. I am working with my supervisor to find an answer to your query."

On a totally different topic I see you're interested in the 1st Seaforths. I have a tangential interest in one officer who was with them at the Delhi Durbar and then died of wounds in France on 11 Mar 1915 - Rupert Auriol Conant Murray. He was the brother-in-law of a chap I'm researching so I know a little about him and would be interested in anything you know in turn.

Hi Alan,

I am afraid I know nothing about Rupert Murray although I do have the War Diary for the 1st from their landing in France in August up to and including Neuve Chappell, where my grandfather was first wounded. My grandfather, Andrew Clark joined in 1907 and that was why I had been checking the Durbar and Military Census rolls. If you would like the diary let me know.

Hazel

Hi Hazel, Can't see any A Clark's in the Official Durbar directory, alas.

Yes please, would appreciate the war diary for March 1915.

Thanks.

Hi Hazel, Can't see any A Clark's in the Official Durbar directory, alas.

Yes please, would appreciate the war diary for March 1915.

Thanks.

Can you pm me your email address and i will send the diaries? Will have the diaries for the year they were in France at the end of the month. A friend photographed them for me.

My Grandfather IS listed on the Durbar 1911 record on Ancestry. He is L/Cpl. A.Clark #10260 I think. Quite frequently the army got his name wrong but the number is usually correct. but thanks for looking.

Hazel