Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whitby Camp - Whereabouts?

Roger H

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Whitby Camp which was in the Ypres area. It doesn't appear in my index of the N and M Press trench map DVD.

Roger

Anyone?

Hi

Dont know if this helps or hinders.

From WD of 9HLI

[6 January 1918: transit - about 7 miles east - to Camp at Potijze (on eastern outskirts of Ypres)]

Battalion left ERIE CAMP at 8.20am and proceeded by bus to WHITBY CAMP, arriving about 10.30am. Platoons marched from YPRES Square. The men are accommodated in tents and huts; a good camp. Running during the afternoon and evening. A small shell landed in camp during the morning but no damage was done.

[7 January 1918: Camp at Potijze]

All officers who were not in the line during the last tour leave Camp at 6am to reconnoitre the tracks etc leading up to the line. One Officer and 50 Other Ranks of the Battalion are employed on carrying work in support area near KANSAS CROSS. Thawing rapidly.

[8 January 1918: transit - about 4 miles east - from Camp at Potijze to front support near Passchendaele (about 4 miles northeast of Ypres)]

Battalion moved forward to front line. SUPPORT area is in support in the left front support at HAMBURG. Relief commenced at 3pm from WHITBY CAMP and was completed by 6pm. The Battalion relieved the 1st Bn The Cameronians and is now under the orders of the 19th Bde. The battalion Headquarters is called IRKSOME and is situated at D 16 B 8.2 - PASSCHENDAELE map.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme

Thank you - that gives some clues.

Roger

The War diary of 4th Yorks on 11th Dec 1917 ..............

Battalion marched to Whitby Camp 19a 08 (Sheet 28)....

The NA Trench Map 28NW1 would be the correct map but all the left hand side of the map a & d squares are missing

Eddie

Eddie

Many thanks.

Roger

Eddie

Thanks to you I have cracked it - the map reference is actually I.9.a.0.8 rather than 19.a.0.8. I.9.a.0.8 is just outside Ypres off the Menin Road. The 5th Yorkshire camped there on previous occasions, but the camp was not named in the war diary until the date I was looking at!

Roger

• 6 years later...

Was there fighting in Ypres on 24th Feb. 1918 as my Great Uncle was killed then and Whitby Camp was mentioned. He was in the Cameronion Scottish Rifles.

Edited by Guest
Misspelling