Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Popular History of The Great War

alanthevet

I am bidding on EBay for the six volume set of the Popular History of The Great War by Sir J A Hammerton.

The seller says that 'it is a set is from the 1920s and is complete and in good condition. It contains about 3700 pages and over 1000 maps and illustrations and is as detailed as you can find in any series on the 1st World War. It is without doubt on of the best available and should not be missed.'

Has anybody heard of these books?

Are they any good?

I am interested in old books as well as having a family connection with WW1.

PS. I may be innocent by asking these questions so I hope that you all don't go rushing off bidding against me! :o

Thanks!

Alan

Hi Alan,

Yes I have heard of these books, I bought a set myself last year on Ebay, for only £26.00, a real bargain i must say. I have read them all and they are very well written, but keep in mind that they were written in the 20's so the political atmosphere and the class's division is quite apparent, but I cannot fault is historical accuracy. It is a worthy addition to anyones bookcase.

best of look with the bidding.

Ross.

I though that I had won the auction, went off, and when I came back some fecker had nipped in and taken the books from under my nose. Whoever got them got them for a snip (£10.50).

I am some eejit! :unsure:

Alan