Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18 pdr shell case-markings

Roger H

Wow, many thanks for such a helpful and quick response.

Other than the company I really should have been able to work this out.

The gaps are now being filled in.

Just excellent, thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Silverfox.

What you show is the primer in the base of the propellant cartridge case of a Quick Firing (QF) artiullery piece. When the gun crew No 3 pulled the trigger, the firing pin struck the percussion cap contained within the primer (the small circle visible in its centre) and that ignited a small quantity of gunpowder behind it whose flash in turn set off the main Cordite propellant charge in the body of the cartridge case.

The "No 1" over Roman "II" marking shows that this was a No 1, Mk II primer, as used in QF 13-Pdr, QF 18-Pdr QF 4.5-in howitzer ammunition, amongst others.

"P B & Co" was the manufacturer of the primer (Platt Bros & Co).

The "5" over "18" is the date of original manufacture (May 1918) and it looks as if the primer was filled in "6/18"  (June 1918). It's possible that it was both manufactured and filled in May and then, after firing, re-filled in June for a second use but, strictly, the first date should be struck out on re-filling, so as not to be confused with the new one, so I think 265 is probably more likely to be correct.

The arrow is the standard War Department marking applied to everything from socks to lorries!

If you fancy a good bedtime read, the Treatise on Ammunition, 1915 goes into great detail on the No 1 primer (page 376 and page 379 onwards, with an illustration following p378). It's available for free download at

https://rnzaoc.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/treatise-on-ammunition-1915.pdf

Edited by Rod Burgess

• 2 years later...

Hello, I joined today after finding this thread in a general Google search. Interesting reading but sad to hear of the passing of some of the contributors.

I am trying to identify a makers mark on the base of an 18lb MkII case. The Mark is a G_C with an design in between. the Primer in the case has the same marking.

I have researched lists of makers names and as yet have not found this one. Any advice greatly received.

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

8 minutes ago, Howard G said:

Thank you for the prompt response. Very helpful. 

The primer was also made by GC. Unfortunately the date markings are indistinct, but it looks like 1917 on the case and 1918 on the primer.

1 minute ago, peregrinvs said:

The primer was also made by GC. Unfortunately the date markings are indistinct, but it looks like 1917 on the case and 1918 on the primer.

Yes, I make it a 1917 case, Cordite, Full Charge with a 1918 primer. My daughter picked it up from an antiques warehouse on Saturday. I'm assuming fired once only as it has a split in the neck near the top which would have rendered it u/s for reuse.

Primer Markings.JPG

IMG_1655.PNG

Now you just need a shell and fuze to put in it, and then a 13 Pounder round to accompany it, and so it goes on... :-)