Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC 1902-1918 by Michael Young

David B

I notice that e-bay has the above book for sale again. Stated to be new and the last time I looked the price was up to 70 pounds.

I may add of course, that a second edition is/was available at a much lower price than this and if the second edition is still around

would be a cheaper option. However if the second edition is sold out e-bay is your answer.

Some chancer on eBay is offering one of my new books at £12 above the cover price of £19.99 and claims to have 10 copies in stock. I can't see anyone being pleased to buy a copy and then find out about this premium. Luckily another eBay merchant is offering the title at a small discount.

Moonraker

Moonraker,

There always seem to be some low life that tries to take advantage of unsuspecting buyers. One hopes that he gets stuck with all his stock.

I'm also hoping that he has some stock and has paid for them! As I've said in another thread, shortly after publication there were a couple of dozen websites offering it, some in very unlikely countries; I'm sure that the listings were speculative and in the event of an order a copy would be sent direct from the wholesaler.

To drag this thread a little way back (but not the whole way) to David's opening post (sorry, David) we've discussed before how booksellers ask ridiculous prices for books that are a little uncommon (and that sometimes can be found elsewhere at reasonable prices). This has happened with the 1999 first edition of one of my books which, with the publication of a superior second edition, has very little value at all.

Moonraker

Moonraker a serious question, how do authors get paid for their publications, and who decides the price?

I sell books on for a profit if I spot them buy them cheaply, and there are plenty of WW1 books that command a huge premium. I'm not the chancer you mention but am realistic if I think I can make money I will. But I can see your point.

I made a comment once to an author that at 30 quid his book was far to expensive and I would wait until it appeared in the 20p remainder bin, I did get some abuse but not so long later it was selling for 1.65. I would have thought that was a more depressing scenario.

Oh dear, off topic but, with further apologies to David, it's the publisher who determines the price, with a small-run (eg 1,000 copies) publication costing more per copy than one of 100,000. Typically writers get a royalty of 10% of the cover price of each copy sold, though in one of my cases it's 10% of the trade price. Trade discounts are usually 35%, and as well as getting - usually - six free copies of their own book, authors can buy extra copies at trade discount as well as - sometimes - other authors' book from the same publisher. When I self-published in 1999, W H Smith's wanted a whopping 60% trade discount.

Moonraker

Moonraker,

No need to apologise, I am enjoying and some new information is sinking in. Keep up the good work. :whistle:

• 1 month later...

David, Michael signed with a new publisher and the book was reprinted this year. It has 100 additional images over and above the first

version plus some other changes. Available from a number of outlets and as the contributors to this thread so rightly state, the author

has no say in the sale price. Regards... Rod

Moonraker,

No need to apologise, I am enjoying and some new information is sinking in. Keep up the good work. :whistle:

BSM,

What worries me is that folk who want a copy of the book do not research the availability and the price thoroughly. Recently I was advised by

e-B*y that they had a copy for auction and I note that it eventually went for 80 pounds about 125 dollars Aust). Noting that it is available for abour

half that sum tends me make me rather sad that someone has been taken.

BSM,

What worries me is that folk who want a copy of the book do not research the availability and the price thoroughly. Recently I was advised by

e-B*y that they had a copy for auction and I note that it eventually went for 80 pounds about 125 dollars Aust). Noting that it is available for abour

half that sum tends me make me rather sad that someone has been taken.

David, I think we have all been on the receiving end at one time or another and I certainly agree with your sentiments. The difference or line between what we would call a fair "earn" and what might be described as a distorted case of "what the market will bear" seems to be quite blurred these days! On the other hand getting a self published, niche market book to market doing "on demand" print runs of 100+ has its own share of difficulty when you decide to print/publish locally and the cost is quite a bit more than you first planned for, which of course means a higher asking price, an experience I have recently been through. However it is the cost of doing business without an Asian print connection down our way. Back to your point, what is that old saying, "buyer beware" etc. Regards ...Rod