Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Company Sergeant Major James Surgenor

Guest surgmj

I am looking for any and all information on my great uncle James Surgenor. He was a member of the Royal Irish Rifles, 11th bn , and at the time of his death

September 3rd,1916, he was Company Sergeant Major. I do not have any record of his date of birth, but he did have a brother John and sister in law Mary. They were from the town of Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland.

• 3 years later...

Surgmj

I came across your post today and, though I appreciate this is a very late response, I would direct you to the Des Blackadder/John Hoy Ballymena site. You will find some additional details of CSM James Surgenor there. Des has the site URL at the bottom of his posts on the Forum.

2539 C S M James Surgenor of the 11 Royal Irish Rifles was gassed on 1 September 1916 and died of wounds on 3 September 1916. He is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension, France. He was born in Ahoghill and lived at Grange Corner, Taylorstown. This is about 2/3 miles from Ahoghill in the Randalstown/Toomebridge direction. He is mentioned in the Ballymena Weekly Telegraph of 23 September 1916.

Regards

Carninyj

Carninyj

Think it might be best if you try emailing surgmj ...his last visit to the forum was, 13th November 2002!!!!..oohh how these fly-bye-nights miss out.

John.

I am looking for any and all information on my great uncle James Surgenor. He was a member of the Royal Irish Rifles, 11th bn , and at the time of his death

September 3rd,1916, he was Company Sergeant Major. I do not have any record of his date of birth, but he did have a brother John and sister in law Mary. They were from the town of Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland.

Surgmj

Thanks for the response.

I'm not surprised that you have some of the material now but I posted it just in case you hadn't. I'm pleased to hear that you have an original copy of the photo. Any chance of a scan?

Regards

Carninyj