Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery driver steel leg gaiter or 'leg-iron'

Andyshep

I hope I've put this in the right place.

Looking for pictorial reference for the so called 'leg-iron' worn by Royal Artillery drivers to stop their right legs being crushed between a pair of horses. I know it's mostly steel with leather straps but some of the reference I've seen seems to contradict itself in terms of how much of each material is used. This could of course be down to different patterns of the gaiter. I know there's one on display at the R.A museum in London (I'm in Glasgow) and the clearest example of one is on the R.A memorial at Hyde Park Corner but again, it's hard to decipher what is what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

Hi Michael

Thanks for the excellent enlargement. I spent several hours last night on the web looking for images and descriptions and I think I've got it. The legging gaiter is made of stiff leather and the only metal part is the raised strip that travels from the knee to the ankle.

Just have to make it now!

Andy

Andy,

The enlargement is from one of my own shots: I just happened to pick the right angle for you

Glad to have been of some help here

regards

Michael

Leg iron worn by the number 3 driver, or wheeler (driving the pair nearest the limber), to stop his leg being crushed by the pole on tight turns.

Here is a photo of it.

John

post-1365-0-16134200-1343594708_thumb.jp

I contacted the R.A. Museum in London to ask if they had any reference for the leg iron and had a very nice reply from Mr. Paul Evans in the library at Woolwich.

Here's what he sent me:

Picture001.jpg

(Image copyright RAHT)

Picture002.jpg

(Image copyright RAHT)

Picture003.jpg

(Image copyright RAHT)

Picture004.jpg

(Image copyright RAHT)

Thought these would be an interesting addition to the already exhaustive archive of WW1 equipment here.

Many thanks to Paul Evans for his invaluable assistance.

Andy

Great photos and thanks for posting them.

I'll attached a Commonwealth of Australia Department of Defence tender specification circa 1913 for leggings, Drivers Mark II, which pretty well match the photo's.

post-29036-0-51575500-1343769602_thumb.j

That's a great narrative to go with the photos. I don't think we can get more comprehensive than that.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far.

Stunning - very nice of the RA Museum to go to such effort, many museums wouldn't

I wasn't expecting such a helpful reply mainly due to, as you say, the fact most museums don't bother even to reply. I was first offered the opportunity to view the gaiter but as I'm in Glasgow that wouldn't have been possible, so I was delighted to receive the photos. It certainly made my Monday. Once again a big thankyou to Mr Evans for going out of his way to help me out.

• 7 years later...

Hi Andyshep

How did your leg iron turn out ......for it seems 8 years on, I am now following your mission to create a leg iron and have to say a belated thank you, to you all, as I did not know what the Artillery Driver was wearing on the Driver of the Royal Artillery memorial Hyde Park until I discovered this thread.

So Andy how did your leg iron project turn out?

Rob

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Rooster Wantling said:

Hi Andyshep

How did your leg iron turn out ......for it seems 8 years on, I am now following your mission to create a leg iron and have to say a belated thank you, to you all, as I did not know what the Artillery Driver was wearing on the Driver of the Royal Artillery memorial Hyde Park until I discovered this thread.

So Andy how did your leg iron project turn out?

Rob

Andy last visited in 2013 you could try sending a personal message if he still has the same registered email a/c

Hi

My goodness. I never expected to hear any more about this project! If you have an Instagram account, you can find pics of the finished commission at andrewsheppardart. I don't have a Photobucket account any more and I'm not involved in the 1/6 world either so I can't show you pics any other way. Hope you can have a look and thanks for your interest:)

Andrew

Just a quick note to thank-you for reviving this thread. I have owned a drivers legging for about 6 years and have always been meaning to research it, so you have spurred me on to start a new thread in "Soldiers and their units" 

Cheers

Ross