Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rumanian (?) cartridge case

CharlieBris

Attached is an image of cartridge case which may be Rumanian possibly from a mountain gun.

Can anyone identify it?

Regards,

Charlie

post-53787-0-99748200-1343217700_thumb.j

Hello, Charlie - Can you provide the measurement (in milimeters) of the length ? Regards, Torrey

Hello, Charlie - Can you provide the measurement (in milimeters) of the length ? Regards, Torrey

The case is 165mm in length. I've received an image of the side of the cartridge (attached)

Regards,

Charlie

post-53787-0-72423700-1343302782_thumb.j

I suspect it is for the Schneider M1907 75mm gun, which was a French export model. Roumania had large amounts of French equipment.

Regards

TonyE

Do you mean the attached gun? It's a 75mm Schneider M06/09 mountain gun - these were in Rumanian service before WW1

Are the markings on the cartridge case consistent with a manufacture date - 1911 - refill date - 1915?

Is the marking 1.4.L.12 a batch number?

Regards,

Charlie

post-53787-0-42880500-1343341439_thumb.j

Hello, Charlie - I do not know what the "1.4." means, but the "L.12" reveals that the shell case was manufactured at the Pyrotechnic Maritime de Lourient plant in 1912. Regards, Torrey

This was the weapon I was talking about.

http://www.lovettart...907_DETAIL_.htm

Sorry, but I do not know how to interpret the other marks in the headstamp.

Regards

TonyE

The Schneider PD07, the gun in the illustration, used the same ammunition size as the 75mm Krupp export gun - the case is longer - about 270mm compared to 165mm of this case.

The 50+ Schneider guns, hijacked by the Ottomans in 1912 from a Serbian order, were used throughout WW1 by the Ottoman Army for this reason. A few of the Ottoman Schneiders have survived - Ralph Lovett's brother found 2 in Bagdad, there's one at Ingham, North Queensland, captured in Palestine.

Thanks everyone for the help. It looks like it's a French manufactured round, made for the Rumanian Army for either the Schneider-Danglis M06/09 or the Schneider M07 mountain gun.

It's more likely the former - I haven't found evidence of the Rumanians ordering the M07 gun although the Bulgarians had fair numbers of these.

Regards,

Charlie