Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service of Intercession 2nd January 1916

MichaelBully

Greetings

I won a really fascinating book at a WFA meeting raffle ! 'A Village At War-Newdigate in World War One' -John Callcut, Reveille Press

One source that is used is the Parish Magazine, and in said publication November 29th 1915, Rev. Henry G. Bird mentions that the Archbishops had declared that 2nd January 1916

would be

"Observed as a day of humble intercession to Almighty God for the War."

Sadly the book doesn't explain how the village church marked the 2nd January 1916 , would be interested in hearing any accounts of the service of Intercession held on 2nd January 1916 anywhere else in Britain or the Empire.

Regards

Michael Bully

I've seen reports in Singapore & New Zealand papers and references to India and Canada but they all said much the same as the two I've linked to. Can be summed up as "Please Lord smite the wicked Hun"

God heard the embattled nations sing and shout

"Gott strafe England" and "God save the King!"

God this, God that, and God the other thing –

"Good God!" said God, "I've got my work cut out!"

J C Squire 1916

I'm sure I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum previously - there was wide spread (usually half-muffled) bellringing to mark the occasion

Thanks for your help Centurion and David.

Centurion, yes I am sure the question of how can two nominally Christian nations fight each other ( during the Great War) has been discussed.

I particularly appreciate how 'A Village At War' contains references to all sorts of Church related organisations that I have never heard of before.

Take the Parish Magazine from 21st November 1917 quoted here ;

"I have just heard from an old friend of mine, the Rev. E. Gordon Saville, the Secretary of the Church of England Men's Society, that one of our lads on service abroad has joined the War Roll, which consists of men who have signed a Pledge of Allegiance to our Lord Jesus Christ, and have promised to fight His battles and to bring victory to His Kingdom. This give me the greatest pleasure and I trust there will be others who will follow his manly and Godly example.

With every best wish, believe me.

Yours affectionately in our Lord, H.G. Bird. "

'A Village At War' p.211

Reverend H.G. Bird also had daughters who work as volunteers for 'The National Mission of Repentence and Hope' and on 26th June 1916, Rev. Bird had declared

"The National Mission is, in the first place, a call to the Church to repent.

We are here to repent not because we believe that we were guitly of provoking this war, but because we, together with the other nations that profess to be Christian, have failed to learn how to live together as a Christian family, how to set forth Christ to the peoples who do not know him. "

'A Village At War' page 162

David- yes have found a thread from last year.

Regards, Michael Bully

On 26/07/2012 at 03:01, David Underdown said:

I'm sure I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forum previously - there was wide spread (usually half-muffled) bellringing to mark the occasion

With regard to ringing dem bells from what I've seen it was done all over the Empire. However in Britain it was a problem as it was normally seen as a signal to stand to arms to repel an invasion (and had been from about 1804 and was again in WW2). In WW1 so long as Germany had a fleet in being an invasion (or more likely a major raid) was always a possibility to worry about. Care had to be taken not to spark a panic.

• 2 weeks later...

Centurion, nothing I've read in the Ringing World from the outbreak of war until (so far) January 1917 suggests that there was ever any suggestion of bells being used as an invasion warning. There were some local restrictions on ringing under DORA, and fears that the sounds of bells might help Zeppelins find populated areas.