Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC number "A" Prefix - what does it mean?

Ravrick

Hi,

Can anybody tell me what the prefix "A" annotates at the start of an ASC service number (number issued in 1917/18)?

Cheers,

Rick

Col Michael Young's Annex M of his history 'Army Service Corps 1902-1918', p.239

gives 'A' as indicating Horse Transport in the Special Reserve

Actually, in the 1917/1918 period, the " A" prefix indicates an accountant or clerk in the Expeditionary Forces Canteens.

All the best,

Gary

Gary,

I see what you mean [the number having been only issued in 17/18 it is unlikely to be for the Special Reserve]

but how do you differentiate between the Accounts Clerk and the "Employee (Workmen)" also quoted by Young

Was there a specific date for the latter change over?

regards

Michael

Michael,

A good point. No, I don't know of a specific change over date. The main point is that they were employed by the EFC.

All the best,

Gary

Michael,

Thank you for the link to the book about canteens by Fortescue. I was not aware of it before now. All I have to do is find a copy.

All the best,

Gary

Hi Guys,

very many thanks for the information and ideas. The guy in question served in the latter part of WW1 and in South Persia in 1918-19, my research so far indicates that only around 20-25 ASC personnel served in South Persia and of these he is the only one with the "A" prefix. It is possible that he joined the ASC as an accountant or clerk in the Expeditionary Forces Canteens and later served in S persia under a different roll or he may have been "the" accountant for the area?

Cheers,

Rick