Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mine Crater, Sector Z2, Loos

Beselare

This is probably going to be a wild shot, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. On 5.2.16 and through to early the next morning, the 2nd Battn., Royal Welsh Fusiliers attacked the enemy who were in a mine crater in "subsection Z2". They were in billets at Annequin Fosse, so it can't be far away from Annequin itself. In the N&MP CD there is no reference to Z2, although there is a reference to Z Trench, but that seems a long way from Annequin. Does anyone know of this position? (The Battn. had 8 OR killed and 28 wounded in the attack).

Many thanks

Bob

Bob

I believe you will need to look in the area around Givenchy to find sector Z2. i am more familiar with the area slightly south and around Auchy and the Hohenzollern redoubt. In this area there is a lettering and numbering system that works its way through the alphabet working due North, which using a quick quess would put Z somewhere near Givenchy, and certainly mining was taking place in this area, red dragon crater being one that spring s to mind. Sorry i cannot be more specific but it is a starting point and someone may have more detailed maps of this area.

Chris

Hi again Bob

sorry i had gone slightly too far north. Found this map that shows the sector you want, just on the south bank of the Bethune to La Bassee canal. Sorry no craters marked but hopefully someone willl have one that shows craters.

post-1012-0-59329200-1343128956_thumb.jp

Hope of help

Chris

Looking at Chris`s post if you look at map 36cNW1 7A (N&M CD) A21d 6.0 and north there are a number of mine craters in the area of Chris`s Z2

Eddie

To Chris and Eddie

I suppose there is no such thing as a 'wild shot' when requesting information from Forum members! Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Bob