The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Edward James Southend Standard Newspaper

TJames

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me and tell me where I can find the newspaper that would have my GGG uncle Edward James in when he would have died. I do know that he is commemorated on the southend-on-sea memorial, and if so if it possible that the newspaper might have information about his death and maybe a photo of him. He died on the 25th April 1915 on the Gallipoli landings and was in the Essex regiment.

Many Thanks

Thomas

Thomas, if he is mentioned in a local newspaper, you will have to visit its nearest library and look through the microfiche files to find it. Ancestry or Fingmypast is your best bet, if there are any surviving records for him, regards Sean

Thomas, he was born in Kentish Town, residing in Brondesbury (Middlesex) at the time if enlisting, he enlisted at Warley (Essex) and was in the 1st Battalion of the Essex Regiment. Sorry, thats all I could find, Sean

CWGC has his mother in West Hamstead London he may have been in a local paper there.Maybe 4 to 12 weeks after death date.john

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty/692423/

There is also an Edward V James RAMC with the same service number less the prefix easy to confuse

Edited by munster

Hi

Thanks for the help. Sometime I am going down to the southend-on-sea memorial as his name is on it and if I have time I will try to find a library there

Thomas

If you are travelling by train, the War Memorial is now on the cliff top just the Southend side of the Cliffs Pavilion.

Southend main library is close to Southend Victoria, on the other line, but you can travel from/to Westcliff from Southend Central and a short walk up the High Street will get you to Southend Library.

They have a well stocked selection of Local History Studies on the first floor and there is a car park adjacent if that is preferred mode of travel.

The Southend Standard is in microfilmed reels and they'll show you how it works. There may be other books etc regarding Southend in the World Wars which may have items of interest.

You might want to call in advance just to check on accessibility etc.

However, the War Memorial does NOT have the Names on it!!

This is housed at the Refectory in Priory Park, just as the A127 turns into Victoria Avenue into Southend.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Essex/SouthendOnSeaCountyBorough.html

Enjoy your day!

Hi

Thanks for the help, it doesn’t seem as far as I thought it was as live in north Buckinghamshire witch is about 2 hours away from the memorial. Would you have any good method for trying to find the right record in the library and would I be able to photocopy it or does that just depend on the library

Thomas

As an ex Sarfender, I can say that the library staff were extremely helpful when I was doing research for a War Memorial Roll of Honour for a nearby town, covered by Southend newspapers.

I don't know whether you plan to stay overnight or not, but assuming it would be a day visit, perhaps calling the main Southend Library Local Studies centre and explaining your research and limited time, they may be able to assist so that you maximise your time there.

If you drive, then you'll pass Priory Park and can park near the Refectory on your way into Southend, then carry on a few hundred yards more past the Civic Centre, Courts and Police Station and immediately left and the Library car park is on your right.

I haven't been there for a few years, but I can't see them being less than helpful, especially if they know how far and for what you have come.

If you need a few more directions etc, PM me your email address and I'll try and help further.

Regards, Kevin (Never a King - as per "What's in a Name"!)

Thomas, there's a well developed Family Tree on Ancestry. Is that yours?

There is a large family, 1911 Census shows that Sarah (Kelly) is now widowed, as Joseph has died.

It's recorded (by Edward on behalf of Sarah) that she was married 29 years and had 11 children of which 10 were still alive in 1911.

Eliza is the only other sibling, aged 24 and also a charwoman like her mum, in 2 rooms at 104, Iverson Road, Brondesbury. He was a porter (house).

I've got most of the Birth Registrations for the children in 1901 census but obviously don't want to go over ground that you already know better than me!

Edwards Medal Index Card shows that he entered a Theatre of War (Balkans) on 25th April, same day as recorded as Killed in Action....

I've yet to establish any connection to Southend as enlistment in Warley doesn't seem strong enough grounds for inclusion in the Southend War Memorial.

I suspect that one or more of his siblings had moved to Southend and put him forward for inclusion.

I see that the eldest son, Joseph (Thomas) died in November 1918 of Spanish Flu according to the Tree...... was he not serving?

Hi

Thanks again for the help. I was told that he was a stoker and worked transporting troops out of London and back. And yes that is my family tree, is it the Lyman/James Tree? I only have one photo of Joseph and that’s of him with his wife and children, that’s the reason for why I thought I could find a photo of his brother Edward and maybe the rest of the family I do know that he wore glasses which would make it easier to find him. Also is it possible for me to have a copy of the Medal card as I already have his British war medal and I’m not sure if he qualified for the 1914 medal. Surprisingly I don’t know much about the James family, mostly the Lyman’s. The medal was passed down to me by my great uncle and on the side of the medal it has 3/2276. Pte E. James, Essex R. And the records say that he lived in Westcliffe.

Thomas

Thomas, he was entitiled to a trio, but as has been mentioned he left England in April 1915, so it would be a 15 star trio. You could pick up copies of the 2 that you are missing (poss e-bay) but be careful as there are some dreadful copies for sale. PM me your e-mail as I have a copy of his MIC and will forward to you. Regards Sean

Check the LLT link at top of page which will detail the whereabouts of the 1st Essex. Someone more knowledgable than I will hopefully put you right, but as his military number is so low (2276) I would assume that he was a regular before the war or a reservist? The Battalion were in Mauritius in August 1914 and arrived back in England in December. They left Avinmouth 21st March 1915 and landed at Cape Helles on the day he died. Regards Sean

Thanks very much for the link i will get in contact with him ASAP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Thomas

Attached is a photo of your man, it will be far better than anything you will get at the library despite not being perfect.

His obituray states:

'Private Edward James, 1st Essex second son of Mr and Mrs T. James of Carberry Westminster Drive has been killed in action in Gallipoli. He joined the forces just a month before the war broke out and had been at the front about a month when he was killed'

Hope thats all helpful to you

Cheers

Steve

post-12568-0-76927000-1345277755_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. That’s very interesting to see a photo of Edward although His dad was Joseph and not a Mr T but maybe the J was miss read for a T. But the good news is that he was the second Son, and there would be a small chance that there are two Edward James's from that area. Also he did die on the landings of Gallipoli but maybe he did a few months service before that. And many thanks steve for finding the photo.

Thomas