Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) Regt - William Leng

Roxy

Pte William Leng died whilst serving with 7th Sherwood Foresters on 16 Apr 18. LLT indicates that this would have been as part of 178 Bde, 59 (2nd North Midlands) Div during the Battle of the Lys.

Can anyone provide any other info?

Thanks in advance,

Roxy

Roxy

There's a page or two for this day in the Robin Hood Battalion's History. If you can message me an email address I'll email you the pages in question.

Otherwise someone out there may have the war diary.

Kind Regards

Colin

His service record is available on Ancestry. Do you have it?

He was only posted to 7th Btn on the 1st of April. He embarked Salonika 22/03/18 and disembarked in France 29/03/18.

Sandie

• 4 years later...

7th Battalion War Diary.

The following extract from a letter addressed to the Divisional Commander by Lieutenant-General Sir J. Aylmer Haldane, K.C.B., D.S.O., Commanding V1. Corps is published for information.

R.H.G. GORTON, Bt. Colonel, G.S. 59th Division. 30.3.18.

Will you please convey to all ranks of your Division my admiration and thanks for the very gallant stand they made against overwhelming numbers of the enemy supported by tremendous artillery.

The Division nobly did their duty on the right of V1. Corps. and from all accounts that have reached me have inflicted heavy loss upon the enemy. I grieve for the heavy casualties among your gallant Officers, N.C.O's and Men but the 59th Division have the satisfaction of knowing that they did their duty in as trying circumstances as can possibly happen in war.

Other Report

There is no doubt that the Brigade delayed the enemy's attack long enough for reinforcements to be brought up - to stop it altogether would have been impossible. It took the enemy 4 hours to advance 2,500 yards. There were undoubtedly 4 Divisions if not 5 against us. I only wish to add that I am prouder than ever of the Brigade and that I deeply regret the heavy losses incurred to all those gallant Officers and men who are killed, wounded or missing.

(Sd.) T.W. STANSFIELD, Brig.-Genl.,

Commdg. 178th Inf.Bde.

BRONNO.

Edited by BRONNO