Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate and coaches

Alan Tucker

Earlier this week I discovered the Menin Road from close to the Menin Gate to the traffic lights on the way out of Ypres is closed and will be for about ONE YEAR. So coaches cannot get into the side road along the water defences - always a good place to park for the Last Post. I heard a rumour that the old access via the back road from the football stadium can now be driven through and does not end at the Sports Centre. Is this true - in which case you can still park up by the Gate by leave via town.

In case anyone soes not the road from the Square to the Menin Gate has reversed the traffic flow.

Visited Menin Gate about 3 weeks ago, my first visit ,however the experience was spoilt by all the road works either side of the memorial and 2 tower cranes in the street running from the square,spoiling the ambience and making photography a challenge.

I cannot answer your question specifically about road closures but just be aware of the above.

It is still possible to park on the road besides the water.

Turn from the tap roundabout and take the first left. This used to be the old way in, but was shut off when a roundabout was installed. It is now as it used to be, so that a coach can get up to the gate, use a sideroad to turn, and so get out again.

Coaches cannot now park at the station, but on the road opposite where they used to park.

There is still a ten minute parking limit at the cathedral.

Bruce

That is good news. Thank you Bruce.