Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Polished Brass shell case WW1 ?

taylov

I was given this polished brass shell case a few weeks ago. It came from a house clearence and the contractor, knowing of my interest in all matters WW1, passed in on to me (gratis) Here's a photo of the base.

post-43036-0-09386700-1342820052_thumb.j

The large number at the foot of the photo is "S1916".

A date? at left is "20-5-16".

At top of photo is "18 PR" with "II" below it

Ar right is " D P U" There are some other markings that I cannot be sure of.

The shell case measures 10cm diameter at base, 8.5 cm at top and is 29 cm tall.

Any info would be most welcome.

Tony

Hello, Tony - It's a British 84 x 295 [width at mouth x length (in mm)] Mark II shell case for the 18-pounder field gun. It was manufactured in 1916 by Canadian Cartridge Company in Ontario, and "CFF" indicates that it had a full charge. Regards, Torrey

As above, and the "CFF" shows that it was loaded with a cordite full charge and then the second "F" shows it was re-loaded with a further full charge. The "S" with a punched dot indicates that the case was scleroscoped (early form of x-ray) before reloading.

I think there is an "A" in a circle at two o'clock which shows the case was annealed before reloading.

Regards

TonyE

Hello, Tony -

Please tell me, why was the "20 5 16" date added?

Thanks for all of the information that you've shared with forum members. I always learn things from your postings that I can not find elsewhere!

Regards, Torrey

At 9 o'clock is a broad arrow within a C which is the Canadian Government ownership mark.

The May 1916 date will be the loading date, but whether the first or second loading is difficult to tell. Is there any othe faint date stamp on the case?

..and thanks for the compliment!

Regards

TonyE

The May 1916 date will be the loading date, but whether the first or second loading is difficult to tell. Is there any othe faint date stamp on the case?

..and thanks for the compliment!

Regards

TonyE

Got a hand lens out and went over the base again, but no sign of a second date.

Thanks to you all for the helpful infomation. No-one mentioned what I think is "D.P.U." stamped at 3 o'clock in the photo wih three concentric incomplete circles above the letters. Any thoughts ?

Tony

The three concentric circles are actually "CCC", the logo of the Canadian Cartridge Company.

The letters "DPU" are some form of Lot identification it is believed. Canadian made cases usually have such three letter groups included in the headstamp but as far as I know, no-one has cracked the code!

Regards

TonyE

PS I see your interest is in the lads from Battersea.. I hail from that part of the world as did my GF who was a Royal Engineer.