Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Royal Hussars - Appropriate home wanted for photograph album

Bosquoy

Sorry: I've not been paying attention for a week or two!

I'm sure everyone will forgive me for sharing this splendid shot of an officer of the 10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's Own) in the 1880's.

That's not just any old officer, Steven, that's Arthur Hughes-Onslow.

Re: "Rutland and the Great War" Thanks Ned. I've seen the book, and what a sobering Roll of Honour it is - a tiny county but a big depressingly book.

The other day, I had the opportunity to read the 'with sympathy' letters written to Arthur Hughes-Onslow's daughter in 1914, long before the manner of his death was known. I'd hoped to gain some new insights into the man but sadly they all followed the form of the day. But several correspondents wrote how - for a soldier "this was the death he would have chosen". Little did they know!

• 9 months later...

An obituary

One of the first of our notable sportsmen to be killed in action was Major Hughes-Onslow . Both as a flat and steeplechase rider he had but few equals, and, as early as 1888, he scored a popular victory by piloting Bertha to victory in the Grand Military Gold Cup at Sandown. In after years Major Hughes-Onslow repeated the performance on two other occasions, once with County Council and again with a favourite horse named Marpessa . This latter belonged to the late Major Loder, whose horses Major Onslow rode on many occasions. Always a shrewd, clever judge of horseflesh, he once purchased a likely-looking animal for a mere song—forty-odd pounds, I believe, was the sum paid—and with this colt the Major subsequently scored a long list of wins . On Brass, as the horse was called, he won the 10th Hussars Point-to-Point, wresting the laurels from the late Lord William Bentinck on Lawyer. With Brass, again, he won the first of his five successes in the Irish Military Steeplechases at Punchestown. It was Major Hugh-Onslow, too, who rode the dam of the never to- be-forgotten Pretty Polly, in the Irish

Grand Military. This horse, Admiration, was a hot favourite at the time, though she lost the race in a manner which proved inherent softness.

An obituary

One of the first of our notable sportsmen to be killed in action was Major Hughes-Onslow . ............. lost the race in a manner which proved inherent softness.

Interesting. Thanks for posting it. What's the source?

The polo monthlies that ran throughout the war, just finishing of my book Polo and the Great War.

Anything else let me know

Trevor

• 5 months later...

The XRH didn't arrive on the continent until October 1914 (7th, I think) as they had first to travel back from South Africa, so Major Hughes-Onslow must have with another regiment at the time.

Alan.

Just found Hughes-Onslow in Ancestry's new records of the medal rolls.

post-63725-0-04799500-1415355676_thumb.j

• 3 years later...

Hi there, we have been researching the fallen men of  Girvan and the surrounding area. As Arthur is on Barr War Memorial, we have done quite a bit on him, Alton Albany, his brother Denzil (also on Barr War Memorial and on Ballantrae War Memorial) and Denzils wife Marion, who payed for Ballantrae War Memorial and give up their house for a field hospital. We have made up a book and donated it to the village of Barr and is in the local tea room for all to see and to remember these men.

It would be of great local interest to see the images from this book and possibly put them on display locally.

Aye

Ritchie

War Memorial Barr (1).jpg

Since Maj. Hughes-Onslow was deceased his next of kin had to apply for his medals after the war. Officers had to apply for their medals to be issued so that is what happened in this case. A look at the MIC will note on the back of the card the details of where the medals were sent & likely his  wife was the recipient.