Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Easter Rising

David Filsell

I recommended a book called They Died by Pearse's Side by Ray Bateson.

Ray Bateson has just published a book called "The Rising Dead RIC & DMP".

2 earlier books of his are "Dead and Buried in Dublin - An Illustrated Guide to the Historic Graves of Dublin" (I have a copy of this) and "The End - An Illustrated Guide to the Graves of Irish Writers". All published by Irish Graves Publications.

Sound like a set of real laugh-out-loud titles :whistle: (but probably the sort that are full of fascinating stuff - I'm quite tempted).

I'm back in Dublin next week to and hope to get a copy of the RIC/DMP book.

The Dead and Buried in Dublin carries a few interesting snippets re musicians, doctors, politicians, rebels, soldiers, sporting people and is a good guide to the various cemeteries in the city. Definitely one to gather dust on the reference section of the bookshelf to be viewed once every so often. A bargain for <50p from the sale of old stock at the West Swindon library. Bateson appears to focus on writing about the burial places of all sorts of Irish/foreign born people of interest who are buried in Dublin.

I'm back in Dublin next week to and hope to get a copy of the RIC/DMP book.

The Dead and Buried in Dublin carries a few interesting snippets re musicians, doctors, politicians, rebels, soldiers, sporting people and is a good guide to the various cemeteries in the city. Definitely one to gather dust on the reference section of the bookshelf to be viewed once every so often. A bargain for <50p from the sale of old stock at the West Swindon library. Bateson appears to focus on writing about the burial places of all sorts of Irish/foreign born people of interest who are buried in Dublin.

J, As your home next week there is a free tour next Sunday at 2pm of Bullys Acre at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, its well worth it, quite a few BA graves there.

Peter

Paul O'Brien has just launched his fourth book on the 1916 Rising, each one on a differant aspect/battle that took place during Easter week 1916.

Field of Fire, 1916 & the Battle for Ashbourne

Crossfire, 1916 & the Battle for the Four Courts

Blood on the Streets, 1916 and the Battle for Mount Street Bridge

Uncommon Valour, 1916 and the Battle for South Dublin Union

All easy to follow and well researched.

J, As your home next week there is a free tour next Sunday at 2pm of Bullys Acre at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, its well worth it, quite a few BA graves there.

Peter

thanks for the info Peter. Didn't know about this event and should be able to get along to it.

just reading "the secret court martial records of the easter rising" by Brian Barton. a lot of original drawings , records of the executions etc.... the senior officer on most [or a lot] of the courts martials , was a, brigadier general Blackader cg. as serious as the book is ,and very readable, i just kept picturing ....rowan atkinson. but a very good book not one sided but accounts taken from both sides in the conflict.

• 3 months later...

Tile Films have produced a documentary film on the Rising with particular attention to the Sherwood Forester's assault on Mount Street Bridge and the Staffordshire Regiment's actions in North King St, including the 15 murders by that regiment. Film has its premier in the Jameson Film festival in Dublin on February 16th

Trailer here: http://tilefilms.ie/productions/a-terrible-beauty/

Thanks for the link wig, looks interesting.

Regards,

Sean.

Charles Townshend is booked in for our WFA branch (North Staffs South Cheshire) in May if anyone lives close enough. His topic is the Easter Rising.

Charles Townshend is booked in for our WFA branch (North Staffs South Cheshire) in May if anyone lives close enough. His topic is the Easter Rising.

I see your post on Twitter. Any date(13th May?)/time/location?

Just picked up this thread. I'm amazed at the number of posts that it has triggered - and the wealth of information and knowledge that it has uncovered. So just a thank you to all have contributed. My next task is to consolidate all the information in preparation for my doctorate at the Wimbledon University of the fifth age. Thanks team.

David

Tile Films have produced a documentary film on the Rising with particular attention to the Sherwood Forester's assault on Mount Street Bridge and the Staffordshire Regiment's actions in North King St, including the 15 murders by that regiment. Film has its premier in the Jameson Film festival in Dublin on February 16th

Trailer here: http://tilefilms.ie/...errible-beauty/

That documentary looks good and would seem to be well made. Some of my family lived just around the corner from Clanwilliam House and close to Mount Street at the time of the Easter Rising. I have just finished reading ,again, The Easter Rebellion by Max Caulfield and Mount Street and North King Street are well covered in it.

Michael Malone who was in command of the Mount Street / Clanwiliam House Irish Volunteers had a brother William killed in action with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers at Mouse Trap Farm 1915 one year before he himself was killed in Dublin.

I see your post on Twitter. Any date(13th May?)/time/location?

Monday 13 May @ Newcastle Methodist Church, Merrial Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 2AD.

Monday 13 May @ Newcastle Methodist Church, Merrial Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme ST5 2AD.

thanks Adam.

I see you have Jerry Murland lined up to speak too. Excellent. Also a talk on Americans in the BA - the only American I've found so far in the BA linked to the Easter Rising is Clive Warman who was in the ASC in Dublin at the time of the Rising.

• 3 months later...

The film gets a very good review in the latest issue of 'History Ireland'. Does anyone know when it will be shown/made available in the UK? I teach Britain and Ireland 1798-1921 for A-Level.

the blog for the production company has a note to say it'll be on show in Manchester next month. Haven't seen any other info about UK showings yet.

'A Terrible Beauty' at the Irish World Heritage Centre in Manchester on Wednesday 26th June at 7.30pm

• 1 month later...

hello,

i see two of my works Blood on the Streets and Uncommon Valour have been recommended.

In March of this year I released 'Crossfire 1916 & The Battle for the Four Courts.' All my works deal with the combat of Easter week broken down into invidual battles. This makes for easier reading and they come with a good map. For those of you interested come to Dublin and see the battlefields, they are all still there.

it is difficult to put number on the deaths of both sides.

I recommended a book called They Died by Pearse's Side by Ray Bateson. It details all the Irish deaths during the Rising. for further info on my works please feel free to checkout.

www.paulobrienauthor.ie

I am curious how closely those still extant battlefields resemble the landscape during the conflict.

As I just posted elsewhere in this forum, I am about to start a PhD in historical geography, with an emphasis on studying conflicts at a fine scale, the influence of landscape on historiography and the application of geospatial technologies (e.g. terrain modelling and dynamic computer simulation) to historical questions. I was going to study the First World War, but a sudden change in my supervisory situation means I am likely going to have to (quickly) convince an urban geographer to take over as my advisor. I wonder if the Easter Rising might be a viable subject.

thanks.

I am curious how closely those still extant battlefields resemble the landscape during the conflict.

As I just posted elsewhere in this forum, I am about to start a PhD in historical geography, with an emphasis on studying conflicts at a fine scale, the influence of landscape on historiography and the application of geospatial technologies (e.g. terrain modelling and dynamic computer simulation) to historical questions. I was going to study the First World War, but a sudden change in my supervisory situation means I am likely going to have to (quickly) convince an urban geographer to take over as my advisor. I wonder if the Easter Rising might be a viable subject.

thanks.

Mount Street and Northumberland Avenue (Blood on the Streets) have most of the original building still standing, see link below. The South Dublin Union (Uncommon Valour) is more or less gone, I think there is one three story house left that would have stood in 1916. The four Courts are as they were in 1916 as is the G.P.O., Moore Street where the Rebels made their last stand is still standing but you better get there quick because if they do not do something with it soon it will fall down. Boland’s is still there and both Beggar’s Bush and Victoria (Collins) Barracks are much the same as they were in 1916

http://www.irishmedals.org/gpage28.html

Hello,

What a fantastic idea arc angel.

Having studied the battlefields of Dublin city, I'd like to say that most of them are still intact. Mount St is about 99.9% intact with just one building missing.

the South Dublin Union is actually still there (not many people know this) it is hidden amongst all the new hospital buildings.

St Stephens green is still there with the surrounding battlefield (see Shootout 1916 & the Battle for St. Stephen's Green.

the Four Courts is till there and the area surrounding, though built up holds a wealth of info.

As for the Gpo and Moore St. B Lee is correct. it is in danger by a developer so get over and have a look around. If I can be of any help drop me a line

checkout my site www.paulobrienauthor.ie and www.dublinbattlefieldtours.ie

• 9 months later...

Thanks wig :thumbsup:

For viewers outside Ireland it can be watched live on http://www.tg4 and will also be available for viewing on that site for a further 35 days after Easter Monday.

John

According to "The Robin Hoods" 1/7th, 2/7th & 3/7th Battns. Sherwood Foresters 1914-1918, published by J&H Bell Ltd., 1921, Section II, Chapter V, by Lt Col F. Rayner and I quote "The total casualties during the rebellion were as follows:-

Military Officers killed 17, wounded 46

Military Other Ranks killed 86, wounded 311, missing 9

RIC Officers killed 2

RIC, Other Ranks killed 12, wounded 23

Dublin Metropolitan Police 3 killed 3 wounded

Civilians and Insurgents killed 180 wounded 614

Total 300 killed 997 wounded 9 missing Total Casualties 1,306 He doesn't say where he gets his figures from but ties in with total of 1,350 casualties quoted by Tim Pat Coogan Easter 1916 (The casualty list for just the 2/7th Sherwood Foresters was 3 Officers 15 OR killed, 8 Officers 65 OR wounded)

"As the rebels were not wearing uniform it was not possible to distinguish between them and civilians who were not taking an active part in the hostilities."

A chapter in my book examines attitudes of some Irishmen in British Army to the Easter Rising.

Carole