Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th A and SH Insignia

Armyaviation

What insignia or flashes would a Private of the 14th Argylls wear in jan- may 1917? I know they were part of 120 Bde/40th Div, but would they have worn an Argylls flash, or the Bde insignia, Div insignia or none?! He was at the front in a rifle company.

While the battalion was in the 40th Division they wore a red diamond with a yellow circle superimposed on it. I believe this was worn on both sleeves.

Mike

Ah ok thanks, so a battalion would wear the flash of the division then?

The flash I described was a battalion identification. The 40th Division sign, a bantam cock and oak leaf sprig on a white diamond was produced as a cloth badge but I can't tell you the exact date when it was introduced for wear during 1918, (possibly after the 14th A & S H left the division?) Perhaps there is someone else on the Forum who can provide a date.

Mike

Out of interested where did you get that info about the red diamond flash from?a book?or on the net?!

1920's Players Cigarette Card of 40th Division sign / battle patch.

When first raised the division used a white diamond symbol but as this clashed with the 42 & 48th Battalions they added a cockerel beneath the diamond outline (possibly late 1916). I believe it is possible that the cockerel was used to reflect the Division's original status as a bantam unit but have not been able to confirm this.

The acorn centre was added after November 1917 as representative of the 40th 's capture of Bourlon Wood.

Sources: Above Card, Kitchener's Army by Ray Westlake and British Battle Insignia (1) by Mike Chapell.

post-53823-0-03503100-1343379784_thumb.j

Ok thats brill thanks, but would a soldier have worn the diamond with cockerel underneath or the red diamond with yellow circle?

Ok thats brill thanks, but would a soldier have worn the diamond with cockerel underneath or the red diamond with yellow circle?

I can't comment on the specifics of the Argyll's as I've no knowledge of battalion patches within the 40th; Mike H has given you details regarding this. However, the convention would most likely have been to have worn both, depending upon chronology - 40th on upper shoulder and battalion on lower sleeve (per Mike). It may well be that brigade insignia was also worn and the red diamond/yellow circle device could well be represent brigade/battalion.

A note of caution. The whole topic of divisional insignia and battalion patches is not a proven path. Many inconsistencies can be found and much has not been recorded.

Suddery