Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two Cap Badges same soldier identification

wulsten

Same soldier two cap badges, can anyone identify the badges and if identified could he be traced possibilty the surname could be Adderley ?, any help appreciated, Geoff

post-9296-0-25569200-1342783542_thumb.jp

post-9296-0-44486500-1342783685_thumb.jp

Smaller picture is the badge of the Lincolnshire Regiment.

Chris

Light Infantry but which unit? Other is Lincolnshire.

The larger one in my opinion is the Durham Light Infantry, the Ox and Bucks doesn't have anything beneath the bugle strings.

Could be 15098 William Harris Adderley served with the Ox and Bucks and the West Yorks and the RAF, MIC on Ancestry as a 2nd L/T.

Son of William H Adderley and Esther born 1891 Hanley 34 Newcastle Rd Hanley. Buried Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cem XIV B 3 . 59TH Sqdn RAF and 9th Batt West Yorks

The larger one in my opinion is the Durham Light Infantry, the Ox and Bucks doesn't have anything beneath the bugle strings.

Which it certainly is - distinctive through the crown and lettering.

I think you will find he is in a Home service Labour Unit.

Many Lincolns were transferred to labour companies of the DLI. and the Labour Companies of the Lincolns were administered by the DLI Depot.

If he did go overseas he may have changed his regiment again which would account for no Adderley in the DLI rolls.

regards

John

Thanks for the replies, i know that it is definately not William Harris Adderley as i have a photographs of him and this chap was with them, thats why i thought his surname might be Adderley, however this is only a guess. Is the DLI connection the best possibility ?

Thanks for the replies, i know that it is definately not William Harris Adderley as i have a photographs of him and this chap was with them, thats why i thought his surname might be Adderley, however this is only a guess. Is the DLI connection the best possibility ?

As Graham has said, he is without any doubt wearing the Durham Light Infantry badge, the only LI badge to bear a crown.

As Graham has said, he is without any doubt wearing the Durham Light Infantry badge, the only LI badge to bear a crown.

It goes very much against the grain to split hairs with you Frogsmile but the PA Somerset LI carried a crown, albeit the 'Mural' Crown of Jellalabad.

Suddery

Thanks for the replies if im correct in thinking then the chap served with the Lincolns and transferred to the DLI possible Labour Battalions for home service only ?

So no takers for KOYLI then?

I expect that you know that is not the KOLI's standard cap badge (as worn on SD), which is what Graham and I were referring to here. Likewise 'crown' meaning the King's or Imperial crown.

It remains a fact that the DLI were the only LI regiment to have a cap badge bearing the sovereign's crown. It was long considered by many to be the most elegant and balanced of the LI cap badge designs and that fact played a large part in the selection of a cap badge for the new 'Rifles' regiment formed from LI, Rifles and Line regiment forebears.