Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pt. 21110 Henry CRITCHLOW - 4/Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

GrahamC

Hi pals

Does anyone live near to this Church and can get me a picture of the grave of:

:poppy: Pt. 21110 Henry CRITCHLOW - 4/Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Henry is one of the men commemorated on the Buxton Memorial

Many thanks

Graham

Graham, I work about three miles from this churchyard and I'll nip up during the week to get the picture for you. Do you happen to have a grave location? although if it is a CWGC headstone it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Duncan

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

My apolgies for not being in touch sooner but my computer has a serious virus (needed remedial surgery!) so I haven't been able to access my records for about a week. In the meantime another Forum member has sent me a photo of Henry's grave.

To fill in a few gaps -

Henry was born in the September quarter 1881, the eldest son of John (Farmer, 181 acres) and Mary (née Taylor) Critchlow of Barmoor, Peak Forest, Derbyshire. He had two elder sisters, Sarah Anne and Emily, and four younger siblings, John, William Edward, Elizabeth Ellen and Frederick. (1891 Census RG 12/2781) In 1901 Henry was employed on his father's farm (Census RG 13/3273) Ten years later little had changed (1911 Census RG 14/21262), Henry was still living and working on the farm. Henry married Alice Hadfield in the December quarter 1914.

The National Archive has no record of a Medal Index Card for Henry, which tends to indicate he would not have served abroad. His Service Record has not survived, but a soldier with a similar number (21115) enlisted at Nottingham on Boxing Day 1914 and was posted to France in May 1916. However, in that case the soldier was posted to the 12th Battalion.

During the entire War Henry's 4th Battalion suffered just 16 casualties, all of whom "died", some at home. It may be presumed that Henry succumbed to illness or disease, contracted either at Sunderland or on being invalided home. He is buried in the local churchyard at Prestwich, Lancashire. The Church burial register states: "1st August 1918 Henry Critchlow age 48 (sic) years of the County Asylum (Prestwich) by William Rowe". Maybe his location at the time of his death gives some indication of the nature of his illness, or maybe he died of influenza. His family back in Buxton either chose not to or couldn't afford to bring him home for burial.

post-37838-0-02076400-1346086215_thumb.j

Duncan - who sent me the photo - also included a photo of the whole CWGC plot - which looks like this ......

post-37838-0-74710800-1346171960_thumb.j

• 6 months later...

Hi guys

My apolgies for not being in touch sooner but my computer has a serious virus (needed remedial surgery!) so I haven't been able to access my records for about a week. In the meantime another Forum member has sent me a photo of Henry's grave.

To fill in a few gaps -

Henry was born in the September quarter 1881, the eldest son of John (Farmer, 181 acres) and Mary (née Taylor) Critchlow of Barmoor, Peak Forest, Derbyshire. He had two elder sisters, Sarah Anne and Emily, and four younger siblings, John, William Edward, Elizabeth Ellen and Frederick. (1891 Census RG 12/2781) In 1901 Henry was employed on his father's farm (Census RG 13/3273) Ten years later little had changed (1911 Census RG 14/21262), Henry was still living and working on the farm. Henry married Alice Hadfield in the December quarter 1914.

The National Archive has no record of a Medal Index Card for Henry, which tends to indicate he would not have served abroad. His Service Record has not survived, but a soldier with a similar number (21115) enlisted at Nottingham on Boxing Day 1914 and was posted to France in May 1916. However, in that case the soldier was posted to the 12th Battalion.

During the entire War Henry's 4th Battalion suffered just 16 casualties, all of whom "died", some at home. It may be presumed that Henry succumbed to illness or disease, contracted either at Sunderland or on being invalided home. He is buried in the local churchyard at Prestwich, Lancashire. The Church burial register states: "1st August 1918 Henry Critchlow age 48 (sic) years of the County Asylum (Prestwich) by William Rowe". Maybe his location at the time of his death gives some indication of the nature of his illness, or maybe he died of influenza. His family back in Buxton either chose not to or couldn't afford to bring him home for burial.

I found this post quite by accident..... the information already provided above is that of another Henry Critchlow and not Henry of Barmoor, Peak Forest who never served in the Great War.

Henry Critchlow of Barmoor, was the son of John & Mary, He did marry Alice in 1914 as stated and had 9 children, John died in 1919, wife Alice died 1924, and Mary died in 1929. Henry went on to farm in Cheshire until his death in 1971.

• spof changed the title to Pt. 21110 Henry CRITCHLOW - 4/Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)