Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

On ITV now, Britains Favourite Treasures Top 50 a DCM found

Mike

On ITV now, Britains Favourite Treasures Top 50 a DCM found

Mike

Edit Not sure ww1, but apparently someone found one at some point, so have to wait see? Yes, it's ww1 George Humber RFA

Yes, it belonged to George Humber, nice to see it was placed at number 45 in the top 50 - shame Anita Rani thought there was 30 years between the two wars though, it didn't give me much confidence that the rest of her research was right.

Just off to Ancestry to see if George's papers are there (nice to see a photo of him in old age - enjoying a good Christmas!).

I did the documentation search for the programme. There is very little left about George Humber, sadly. The brigade war diary is illuminating but does not pinpoint the reasons for his DCM.

You should also have done the script for her Chris, it would have all been right then :lol: . Well at least with your input we know the finer details were correct - thank you.

We did do some filming in London, set up as a conversation between me and Anita. It was good fun. To my regret they cut it from the final edition, but given that each article only lasted three or four minutes I can't say I am surprised.

Must admit I am a little disappointed with the programme, too little time on each object, perhaps the top 30 may have been better, but we would not have had the pleasure of seeing the DCM portrayed. Still cannot have everything can we.

Really enjoyed both this and the current progs, did I hear correctly the young lady say that the DCM was second only to the VC? I am no expert but it is not is it?.

Norman

PS Well at least Dan Snow has not made an appearance (yet!)

Really enjoyed both this and the current progs, did I hear correctly the young lady say that the DCM was second only to the VC? I am no expert but it is not is it?.

Norman

It would be for other ranks, wouldn't it?

Mike

No expert either. It does say " The D.C.M. was the first official medal award to recognise an act of gallantry in the field by a member of the armed forces who was below the rank of officer. It was the other ranks' equivalent of the Distinguished Service Order. " So for soldiers below rank of 2/Lt? the DCM, will be second only to VC?

Cheers Mike

The DCM was indeed the second level gallantry award (for land actions) for other ranks. Now replaced by the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (for all ranks), following the 1993? review which led to MC, DFC, DSC being made available to all ranks

An interesting piece. Given that Sgt Humber apparently served in the RFA, it was a pity that the archive footage all showed guns used by the RGA! I presume Our Founder wasn't responsible for that bit!

Ron

Apart from identifyingthe liklihood that at least part of his award was due to the brigade's action in the Battle of the Lys and where that was, I don't think anything I did for them was actually used!