Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stolen Medals

CROONAERT

Unfortunately, I suffered a burglary in the early hours of this morning and, whilst most items that went missing are quite easily replaceable (including most of the thousands of pounds worth of files held on my laptops that also went), the medals of my grandad and great grandad that were held in pride of place framed on my living room wall were also taken.

Please can I ,therefore, ask our medal collecting fraternity to keep an eye/ear out for me.

My grandad's medals were the 'standard' WW2 medals of 1939/45 Star, Defence Medal and War Medal and (other grandad) the 39/45 Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, Defence Medal & War Medal... all unnamed of course, but their cap badges and original photos were also in the frames (details of Gnr.Michael O'Mara and Sydney Woodward are on the reverse of the frame)

The ones that I really want to utilise some needle-nosed pliers on the culprit for , though, are my Great Grandad's.... These are a QSA/KSA pair named to 3793 Pte.J.Woodward, 10th Hussars (QSA has 6 clasps - Paardeberg, Dreifontein,Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Wittebergen and Relief of Kimberley, the KSA has the standard 2). These were in a frame along with an original photo and his original cap badge. Also gone was a seperate small frame containing his Silver War Badge from WW1 (numbered 323600.

My grandad's WW2 medals are replaceable to an extent of course, but I'd really appreciate it if people could be vigilant for my Gt.Grandad's group especially.

Many thanks,

Dave

Dave

That's really sad, and most upsetting for you. I don't know whether you are a member of the medals forum that is often mentioned, but if not I am sure someone will be happy to post the details for you.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

No, I'm not a member of the medals forum (my only real interest in them is those few medals that have now gone!)... I'd certainly appreciate it if someone could circulate the details on the medals forum for me though.

Cheers,

Dave (Thank god they left me my netbook and external HD!)

Dave,

Hopefully your Grandfather's and Great Grandfather's medals will resurface when the Low-Life who took them passes them on. I will certainly keep my eyes open for you.

Robert

Details Noted HB and your post placed on BMF site

My commiserations.... Hope that eventually the medals turn up.

Trajan

Very, very sorry to hear this, Dave.

In addition to the steps you've taken, it might be worth setting up a search on eBay that'll notify you immediately in case they're daft enough to try to offload them that way. I know it's unlikely, but one can only hope...

For the XRH ones I'll make sure the HorsePower Museum know, just in case anyone offers them.

Thanks very much for all the messages of support and the assistance online (can't access the medal forum, so , if anything gets mentioned, could someone let me know please?). I'm going to see a medal dealer mate of mine tomorrow morning to ask him to put the word out with his contacts too. I'll be surprised to see the WW2 medals again, but am 70% hopeful for a happy ending on the Boer War ones.

Another frame actually went missing too, by the way. This detailed my wife's grandad (Pte.John Lavin, 7th Borders), but was only a 'representative' BWM/VM pair (the actual medals were to an able seaman in the RN if I recall correctly) along with a replica ID disc. This one is the least of my worries though.

Thanks again... this thread has certainly made me feel a lot better (and less likely to go and do something stupid!).

Dave

Really bad news. Will alert our local second hand/antique dealers.

What district are you?

East Lancashire

As someone who has his entire kit collection stolen in the past; including paperwork and some very personal handed down items, I can only say I sincerely feel for you and trust you have better fortune than I had in recovering any of what has gone.

Dave Upton

Dave, sorry to hear this and hope you get them back. You've helped a lot of GWF people so karma says you should receive something back!

I would contact in writing every gold and silver dealer or franchise holder you can find and give them the details and the police crime number and contact officers name, they would be more likely to contact them than you as a private individual.

Good luck

Mick

Dave

this reply was posted on medal forum

"Can you add the Crime Reference Number given by the Police

( I do not have them nor know where they are but if someone does it simplifies the process for them)"

I do not really know what this post is about however if you can supply the crime number i will reply in the medal forum for you

ian

Just to let you know that King's Royal Hussars HorsePower Muesum in Winchester has been informed (Tenth are a predecessor regiment), as have Home Headquarters (South) in Winchester and HHQ (N) in Preston.

Dave

this reply was posted on medal forum

"Can you add the Crime Reference Number given by the Police

( I do not have them nor know where they are but if someone does it simplifies the process for them)"

I do not really know what this post is about however if you can supply the crime number i will reply in the medal forum for you

ian

The crime number given when a crime is reported (and used by insurance companies) means that if Dodgy Donald the mendacious medal man or similar offers them to anyone all they have to do is tell the local nick quoting that number and leave the rest to them.

I do hope they are found and returned to you, and very sorry this has happened. Cross fingers for a speedy and positive outcome

Cheers

Shirley

if you can supply the crime number i will reply in the medal forum for you

Sorry for the delay... my main internet access is via my phone at the moment.

Crime number is : FB1201560

Forgetting my manners!

Thanks for all the assistance and comments since my last post...

Dave

Dave, very sorry to hear the sad news, one of the first to welcome me on this forum, hope you receive

eveything back.

Walter