Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunbridge Wells War Memorial Transcription

Edward Gilbert

Thomas Payne b 1895 son of thomas 132 Silverdale Road T.Wells. There are papers for a soldier by this name but, states born Bermondsey serving with the Buffs.

A couple of days ago I posted an update list of the men for whom I am stil seeking information but it has not shown up on the forum yet. Perhaps the webmaster is away of ill. I will wait a few days more and if nothing shows up I will try posting it again.

One member suggested that perhaps Susan F and I could collaborate. I exchanged and email with Susan but based on what she said it appears she does not in fact have any transcriptions. What she has are photos of the memorial and the plaques as well as an Index of the names on the plaques (just a list of names); all of which I have and my photos of the plaques etc are from 2012 after the plaques were clearned. Susans photos were taken in 2009 before the cleaning. She did mention that during her research she gave to the Tunbridge Wells Reference Library some newspaper cuttings about some of the men along with some photos of the men. I contacted the library to see if they would send me the newspaper items and photos but I have used up my free 1/2 hour of their time and I cant afford to pay them to send me the material I would like to get. Since I live in Canada I cant go to the library myself so I will have to wat for someone living in Tunbridge Wells to volunteer to go to the library; dig out their file; and email me the material.

As I may have mentioned before I intend to publish my research about the men on the memorial later this year on my website. I may have to publish it as a work in progress if I cant complete all of the transcriptions but at least the information will get out there on all but about 100 men from WW1 and I will be including transcriptions for WW2 at the same time. I hope there is enough space on my site to handle this very large file-if not I will puiblish it in parts until its all posted. Since I am involved in researching and writing articles abut many other topics pertaining to the history of Tunbridge Wells I dont expect I will be able to keep the article about the Tunbridge Wells Memorial on my site for more then 6 months. I will therefore be looking for someone to take over my article and post it on their own website on a permanent basis. I contacted the webmaster of the Kent Fallen site who has a section set up for the Tunbridge Wells Memorial (just a few photos on there at the moment by Susan F) in the hopes that he would take over the posting of my transcriptions but he declined my offer. He says he is not maintianing the site due to illness. Hopefully someone else will come forward as I would like to make my research available on a suitable site on a long term basis.

Thanks to all of you for your input on this subject.

Edward,

We have not exchanged e-mails recently nor have I ever given newspaper cuttings about the men on the Tunbridge Wells War Memorial to Tunbridge Wells Reference Library. They hold the local newspaper archives on microfiche and charge 50p for an A4 screen-dump. If there is a file there it’s not from me. Please PM copies of those e-mails to me at Susan_F[at]live.co.uk.

I regard War Memorials as original documents – Prime Sources. I record the information on them before they are stolen or destroyed. Too often that loss results in all local remembrance of their sacrifice ceasing. My work means the name is preserved and the memorial may be replaced.

In Tonbridge, by recording Memorials, I have tracked names through infant and senior schools to a work-place and club. Then via the Church and parents grave-stone to the Memorial Gardens. I record the Primary Sources for others to research.

The NIWM is a permanent archive. If you contribute a copy of your work on CD it will be available in the future (though not instantly). It will be stored securely unlike any website that only exists while the rent is paid.

Susan

Edward,

Is that your updated list is in Post #43, although perhaps not in the format you were expecting to see it?

There are plenty of free hosting websites around, although you will probably have to suffer a few adverts and nothing on the Internet is forever. I know of several projects that are still out there, although they haven't been updated for a number of years due to the originators' personal circumstances. Also Susan's advise is sound; lodging a copy with UKNIWM (which I should do myself) Has the NWKFHG been mentioned as well previously?

Phil

Another possibility is to contact the Tunbridge Wells Civic Society who have a local history section. Their website is www.thecivicsociety.org/civic01.html and the contact is john.cunningham@thecivicsociety.org

Hello All: I have been away a few days-thrying to get caught up on all your good input. Yes my post 43 is my updated list but I see I have a few more to take off of it after I have double checked a few men so in a week or two I will issue another update;

Susans suggestion about the disc and NIWM is a good idea. I will follow up on that. Also to Susan I must have been mixed up with another Susan who sent me an email, I must have incorrectly assumed it was you-sorry about that.

I will be posting my war memorial transcriptions on my own website to start with in time for Rememberence Day along with a couple other articles pertaining to the history of Tunbridge Wells during the war.I was somewhat (but pleasently surprised) to find that I have plenty of space on my website to keep my research on it for as long as I want. I do have a fella with his own site (Roll of Honor) who is a member of this forum who expressed an interest in taking my research over so I will be sending it to him also. The Tunbridge Wells Reference Library; the Tunbridge Wells Museum and the T. Wells Civic Society are all contacted by me monthy to copy anything they want from my wesbsite for their files so they will be getting an opportunity to download from my site my research on the T.Wells War Memorial. I have already sent the T. Wells Library a copy of my file for WW 2.

Thanks again for all your input.

• 3 months later...

HUBBLE George Thomas b 1896 T/Wells son of George Thomas/Jane Ann 1823 Royal West Kents from 3-9-14 to 23-10-14 medically unfit. A George Thomas Hubble died 1948 age 52 Wendsbury.

George Thomas Hubble born 1895 died 2 March 1964 and is buried at Hawkenbury cemetery along with his wife. George lived in T/W until he married. They both lived in Paddock Wood until they died. You have the right parents GT/JA Hubble.

The name on the war memorial should be Cyril Cecil Hubble their son who died in the first war.2nd Bn; Suffork Regiment 42436. Cyril died 21 August 1918 age 18. I do have a photo if you are interested.

• 2 months later...

I have done a lot of research on P J Greenwood (3115) as I currently live near where he lived in Fremantle Western Australia, but come from Kent. If you are able to provide me with your email address I will forward you some details.

I am hoping to do further research on Pte Greenwood when I come over this year.

Andrew

• 10 months later...
Guest michelle8671

Hi,

I am new to the forum. While researching my Great Grandfather I came across the post below, I guess the tree mentioned may be my own on Ancestry? I live in Cornwall where Jesse Goldsmith resided with his family and where his brother A.R Goldsmith also resided for a time. He is on the memorial in the village of St Dennis, Cornwall. Another brother Henry also lived in Cornwall and died in 1948. If anyone has any information on the Goldsmith family I would be so grateful. I can be contacted at michelle8671@sky.com

Hello All;

Lots of good leads from you all. The one for A.R. Goldsmith proved very productive for it revealed that he had three other brothers in the war, two of whom were also on my wanted list (Frederick W. Goldsmith and George A. Goldsmith) so it killed three birds with one stone. It turned out that their parents died and the brothers went to live with the Moon family (who also lost a son) at Southborough,T. Wells.The reference to Jesse John Goldsmith showed that he was the other fellas next of kin and was the eldest brother who served in the war but survived (he died 1925).There was a good family tree on Ancestry.Uk that tied them all together. So thanks for that lead!!

He is an updated list of "Wanted" men; Some of them you have offered feedback on and I have not discounted your input but still doing a little more research before removing them from the list.

• 5 years later...

Fred Victor Guest born 1888 was born in Southborough and lived at 2 Dunstan Rd 1911,  Fred Victor Guest in cwgc is Australian with connections in Oxfordshire. He lived in Parish of St Lukes

There is a F Guest on war memorial in St Johns Church.

F V Guest is only Guest born/living in Tunbridge wells on ancestry