Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunbridge Wells War Memorial Transcription

Edward Gilbert

I have undertaken the job of preparting transcriptions of the 796 men that are listed on the plaques of the T. Wells Memoiral for the Great War. I have completed so far 657 of them but I am looking for volunteers to assist with the identification of the remaining men. Here is a a list of them. I would suggest for those interested in doing some research that the volunteers split up the list (perhaps alphabetically) to distribute the work. If anyone is interested I would suggest you post on this thread which ones you wish to research to avoid duplication of effort. A big job in many hands is much more manageable and any assistance no matter how small would be greatly appreciated. When I publish the final work I will of course give credit in the publication to anyone who was good enough to assist me in this undertaking. Please note that it is essential to establish a connection of the man to Tunbridge Wells as in some cases from the CWGC site there are several men with the same initials and surname and I need only the man related to Tunbridge Wells. From my research so far about 99% of those listed on the plaque had family living in T. Wells at the time of his death. Being born in or living in T. Wells at some point in time in the mans life is also a common theme.

A List..........T. Atkins

B List..........H.J.F. Baker; C.C.Baker; J. Ball; A.E. Berry; A. Best; J.G. Birney; C.A. Brown; W. Burfiled; E.L. Batchelor; A. Burden

C List.........H. Collins; E. Collins; A. Crittenden; W.H.Cater; G.H. Cavie; F. Chacksfield; F.J.A. Chapman;G.A. Chapman; L. Cheshire; T. Colbrear; C. Coomber; W. Coo,ber;

D List.......A.C. Dawn; F.G.Day; E. Denton; F.M.Dobell; H.C. Drader; A. De Duca;W. Dunn

E List.......G.H. Eagles;H. East; P. Edwards; J. Ellis

F List.......W.E. Farley; D.A. Fowls; B. Fowler

G List.......P.H. Grant; F. Groves; P.J. Greenwood;T.B. Gibson; T.M.Goodman; A.R. Goldsmith; F. Goldsmith; G.A. Goldsmith; E. Goodman; F. Guest; F.V. Guest

H List.........F.J. Haig; S.W. Harmer; H.J. Harris; R.W. Hayward; H. Hayward; R. Hayward; T.A. Hayward; E. Hedges;C.W. Hodge; A. Horne; A.R. Horsecroft; G. Hibble; H. Hutchinson

J List........C. James; A.E. Jones; John Levi Johnson; L.T. Jordan;

K List.......J. Kees; H.C. Kidner; A.G. King; A. King; J. Knight

L List........C. Lambert; W.H. Larkin; W. Lester; E.r. Lingard; W.H. Laick

M List.......A.P. Martin; L.A Martin; L. Marshall; T.J. Milton; T.S Moore; E. Murphy

N List.......A.I. Nieve; E.B. Nicholls; G.J. Nicholls

P List......H. Phillips; G.A. Poll; W.F. Parr; L.B. Parsons; T. Payne; C.J. Patterson; J. H. Petrie; H. Piper; F.W.G. Playsted; H.J. Plurmer; C.H. Prior

R List......F.J. Richardson; S.J. Ridley; G.L. Roberts; A. Robinson; G.J. Row; T. Ryan

S List.......F.J. Saunders; R. Scriven; E.A Smith; C.E.G. Smith; C. Smith; W.E.G Smith; C.F. Snelling; J.J. Stabbing; A. Stevens; J. Stevens; J.M. Stevens; J.T. Stewart; S.W. Stevenson; P.G. Stone; J. Stratford; R.J. Styles; H. Summers

T List.........R. Thomson; H. Tompsett

U List.........A. Urban

W List.......F. Ware; W. Walsh; E. Ward; G.B. Warde; T.E. Waters; H. Wheeler; H. Wickens; G. Wilcox; J. Wilcox; H. Wimshurst; A.A. Wood; H,C. Wood; W. Woodford; J. Woodford

Y List........W. Young; J.H. Young;

I hope some of you will help!!!

I think A Urban is Oscar Arthur Urban (on CWGC and birth registration, but Arthur on medal card, census and probate), 2nd Lt, 9th East Surrey.

SDGW shows he was killed in action 3/9/1916, and he is remembered on the Thiepval memorial. The National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations) has "Death: 3 Sep 1919 Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Not sure what that means exactly, but there is no other military candidate and a connection with Tunbridge Wells clinches it for me.

Harold Charles Kidner was born in 1889 in Eastbourne. On the 1901 and 1911 census he is living in London. In 1914 and 1915 he is living in London.

He enlisted 10/11/1914 and went to France 19/11/1914 with the ASC as M2/18863 (he was a motor driver in civilian life) . He was discharged sickness 4/6/1917 and his death was registered Sep Qtr 1917 in Camberwell.

So far, very frustrating. Then I spotted his younger sister, Winifred Alice on the 1911 census and saw that the whole family (but not Harold) had moved to Tunbridge Wells by the 1911 census. Phew!

Possible non-comm.

:thumbsup:

There is a probate entry for Arthur URBAN of 2, Calverley Mount Tunbridge Wells second-lieutenant 9th Service Battalion East Surrey Regiment died 3rd September 1916 in France. Probate 1st February 1917 to Rosa Martha URBAN, Spinster.

He is certainly the son of a Mrs Anna Urban and has a sister Rosa. (1891 census).

John Gardner Kees, born 1891 Paddington. He was Pte 2480 23rd London. Killed 26/5/1915.

Baptism records show he was the son of John and Emma Kees who are living at 11 Hungershall Park Stables, Tunbridge Wells on the 1911 census.

(They were also the parents of L/cpl 24558 George Edward Kees, RWK Born Paddington. Enlisted Tunbridge Wells. KIA 21/3/1918).

Name: Albert King Birth Place: Tunbridge Wells, Kent Residence: Iden, Sussex Death Date: 23 Oct 1918 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Chichester, Sussex Rank: Private Regiment: East Surrey Regiment Battalion: 8th Battalion Number: 48202 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War:

Western European Theatre

KING, ALBERT

Rank: Private Service No: 48202 Date of Death: 23/10/1918 Age: 19 Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment 8th Bn. Panel Reference Panel 6. Memorial VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Henry King, of Baron Grange, Iden, Rye, Sussex.

Lt John Gordon Birney, 1st HLI born Tunbridge Wells 11th Jan 1898. Killed in action at Kut 11th Jan 1917 (on his 19th birthday!?)

Entry and photograph in De Ruvigny's.

Edward Randolph Lingard, born 1893 Mile End.

CWGC has M2/116844 Edward R Lingard, Army Service Corps dying 3/1/1916. SDGW has Edward Lingard died at home 3/1/1916. The only BMD entry is Edward Lingard 27 Mar Qtr 1916 Southampton.

The only 1911 census match I can find is Edward Lingard, born 1893 London and is an apprentice wheelwright boarding at Matfield, Paddock Wood, Brenchley, Kent. (7 miles from T Wells).

Name: John Levi Johnson Birth Place: Tunbridge Wells, Kent Death Date: 12 Oct 1917 Death Location: France & Flanders Enlistment Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent Rank: L/Sergeant Regiment: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Battalion: 7th Battalion Number: G/4078 Type of Casualty: Killed in action Theatre of War: Western European Theatre Comments: M.M

Name: W H Cater Death Date: 16 Aug 1918 Rank: Temp 2/Lieutenant Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment Battalion: 8th Battalion Type of Casualty:

Died

Medal card shows that Walter Henry Cater went to France as Pte GS/2178 RWK and obtained a commission 20/9/1916.

His father is J W Cater of 64 Auckland Rd, Tunbridge Wells.

SMITH, WILLIAM EDWARD GEORGE

Rank: Staff Serjeant Service No: S/7765 Date of Death: 25/09/1915 Age: 25 Regiment/Service: Gordon Highlanders 1st Bn. Awards: D C M Panel Reference Panel 38. Memorial YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of John Edward and Annie Harriett Smith, of Okanagan Lake, Naramata, British Columbia. Native of Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

DCM - 15/9/1915

For conspicuous gallantry on the night

of the 16th-17th August 1915, near

Ypres. When on patrol duty with

an Officer and two men between the

British and German trenches, the

Officer was wounded and unable to

move. While the two nu-n went for

a stretcher, Private Smith dragged

. the Officer towards our lines. On

reaching the wire, with the assistance

of one of the men, who had returned,

he placed the wounded Officer in a

sliell hole, cut a passage through the

wire, and then carried him into safety,

being the whole time under very heavy

rifle lire.

For conspicuous gallantry

Wilfred Algernon Burfield Rank: ERA 4th Birth Date: 20 Aug 1894 Birth Place: Lewisham, Middlesex Branch of Service: Royal Navy Cause of Death: Died from disease Official Number Port Division: M.18517. (Dev) Death Date: 13 Feb 1916 Ship or Unit: HMS Vivid Location of Grave: S. (Church Ground) 3. 13. Name and Address of Cemetery: Plymouth Devonport & Stonehouse Cemetery, Plymouth, Devon Relatives Notified and Address: Mother: Ethel, 203, Upper Grosvenor Rd, Tunbridge Wells, Kent

When I transcribed this Memorial in February 2009 I counted 801 names, not 796. I believe you have wrongly transcribed 16 of the names shown on your list in post 1. I have listed these, followed by my interpretation of the lettering. I have also added the position of the name so you can check for yourself, please tell me if my transcription is wrong.

T. Atkins - - F. Atkins. - - a12

T. Colbrear - - T. Colbear. - - d24

W. Coo,ber - - W. Coomber. - - e04

A.C. Dawn - - A.G. Dawn. - - e29

D.A. Fowls - - D.A. Fowle. - - g19

E. Goodman - - E. Goodwin. - - h29

R.W. Hayward - - R.W. Haward. - - v29

A.R. Horsecroft - - A.S. Horsecroft. - - k13

G. Hibble - - G. Hubble. - - k16

John Levi Johnson - - J.L. Johnson. - - l02

W.H. Laick - - W.H. Luck. - - m14

A.I. Nieve - - A.I. Neve. - - n30

G.J. Nicholls - - G.J. Nickells. - - o02

H.J. Plurmer - - H.J. Plummer. - - p18

J.J. Stabbing - - J.J. Stebbing. - - s12

P.G. Stone - - P.C. Stone. - - s20

H. Tompsett - - H. Thompsett. - - t01

G. Wilcox - - G. Willcox. - - u31

J. Wilcox - - J. Willcox. - - u32

The WW1 names are on plaques a to w, with 35 names on plaques a to u and 31 on plaque v including 3 additions. Plaque w has 35 additional names.

Have you checked the local cemetery? Commemorations on family gravestones of those killed abroad provide positive identification. The NIWM records these as War Memorials, if you have found any please let me know. I have found over 50 so far in Tonbridge Cemetery. But row walking takes a lot of time and is weather dependent!

Susan_F[at]live.co.uk

Presumably he was known as Ted?

Name: Edward George Colbear Birth Place: Heybridge, Essex Death Date: 4 May 1917 Death Location: At Sea Enlistment Location: Tonbridge, Kent Rank: Private Regiment: Royal Army Medical Corps Number: 56868 Type of Casualty: Died Theatre of War: At Sea

Susan_F: It seems between you and Ed, you could probably work together on resolving what remains to be traced on these men.

Ed is in Canada and it would seem you are more local than him, so is there any obstacle to you both working together?

You both have the same intent, to ensure ALL from T Wells are remembered, so two in tandem might break the log jam in tracing these men.....

At least you won't be tearing your hair out in isolation!!!

Worth considering?

PS Colbear enlisted TOnbridge and at least 50 seem to be in TOnbridge Cemetery. I don't know the relevance, but would TUnbridge Wells men be buried in TOnbridge?

Regards, Kevin

Thanks for the input to all who have answered so far. For Wilfred Algeron Burfield -I had this man and what you provided is correct however there is in addution to him on the memorual a W. BURFILED so this man is still on the WANTED list.

For Edward George Colbear- Not convinced this is T. COLBEAR. I checked Ancestry and find no connection to Tunbridge Wells.His enlistment at Tonbridge is not conclusive enough proof that he is my man. No listings found for T Colbear but as you note its a possible nickname for Edward. Edward George Colbear only appears in 1901 and 1911 census in Essex where he was born and his parents were living in Essex at the time of his death. I have to say unless there is further proof of his connection to Tunbridge Wells that Edward George Colbear is the wrong fella.

All the other replys check out-Thanks to all.

To Susan F........ I will double check everything and reply later today.

To Susan F and all members;

The information by Susan F is correct. Sorry for the typos and other errors. I rechecked my list against the new photos taken for me by a fella in Tunbridge Wells June 2012. The names are now much more readable since the plaques were thoroughly cleaned in 2011.I have now corrected my file.For those researching my list please go by the changes given by Susan F. The rest of my list is correct.

For anyone interested in seeing photos of the plaques on the memorial a fella in Tunbridge Wells took some photos of them for me in June 2012. They can be seen on the internet under the search heading of Tunbridge Wells War Memorial Plaques at anke.blogs.com

Smith, W.E.G.

From CWGC website:

SMITH, WILLIAM EDWARD GEORGE

Staff Serjeant

Service No:

S/7765

Date of Death:

25/09/1915

Regiment/Service:

Gordon Highlanders

1st Bn.

Awards:

D C M

Panel Reference

Panel 38.

Memorial

YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of John Edward and Annie Harriett Smith, of Okanagan Lake, Naramata, British Columbia. Native of Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Yes I will issue an upadated list when a few more names are removed.

Note that D.A.Fowle(D.A.Fowls); G.J. Nickells(G.J.Nicholls); H.J. Plummer(H.J.Plurmer) and R.W. Haward (R.W.Hyward) are done. No further information required for them.

A.A.Wood possibly:

WOOD, ARCHIBALD ALEXANDER

Plumber's Mate

Service No:

M/5490

Date of Death:

05/09/1914

Regiment/Service:

Royal Navy

H.M.S. "Pathfinder."

Panel Reference

Memorial

CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of George Thomas and Charlotte Wood, of 12, Chevening, Sevenoaks, Kent.

H.Tompsett

Name: Henry Thomas Tompsett

Birth Place: Tonbridge, Kent

Residence: Holloway, Middx.

Death Date: 3 May 1915

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Holloway, Middx.

Regiment: Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Number: G/4693

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

A.R.Goldsmith

Name: Arthur Ralph Goldsmith

Death Date: 1 Jul 1916

Enlistment Location: Reading, Berks

Regiment: Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment)

Battalion: 4th Battalion

Number: L/15034

There is also:

Name: Ernest Goldsmith

Birth Place: St. Stephen's, Tonbridge, Kent

Death Date: 19 Nov 1915

Death Location: Gallipoli

Enlistment Location: Finsbury

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment)

Battalion: 9th Battalion

Number: 17731

Type of Casualty: Died

Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

Is F.Goldsmith clear or could it be E.Goldsmith?

P.J.Greenwood

GREENWOOD, PERCY JOHN

Private

Service No:

3115A

Date of Death:

20/07/1916

Regiment/Service:

Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

32nd Bn.

Panel Reference

Memorial

V.C. CORNER AUSTRALIAN CEMETERY AND MEMORIAL, FROMELLES

Additional Information:

Son of Henry and Kezia Greenwood. Native of England.

and from http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au

GREENWOOD Percy John : Service Number - 3115 : Place of Birth - Tunbridge Wells England : Place of Enlistment - Blackboy Hill WA : Next of Kin - (Mother) GREENWOOD Kezia

Name: Frederick James Harmer

Residence: Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Death Date: 28 Oct 1915

Death Location: At Sea

Enlistment Location: Southborough, Kent

Regiment: Corps of Royal Engineers

Number: 892

Theatre of War: At Sea

Comments: 1/3Rd Kent Field Coy., R.E.

F.J.Harmer

Name: Frederick James Harmer

Residence: Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Death Date: 28 Oct 1915

Death Location: At Sea

Enlistment Location: Southborough, Kent

Regiment: Corps of Royal Engineers

Number: 892

Theatre of War: At Sea

Comments: 1/3Rd Kent Field Coy., R.E.

H.C.Kidner

There is a Charles Thomas Kidner living in the town in 1911, is he a relation?

E.R.Lingard

From 1911 Census:

BASHFORD, Edward Head Married M 53 1858 Carriage Builder Brighton Sussex VIEW

BASHFORD, Kate Wife Married7 years F 52 1859 Wife Ramsgate Kent VIEW

LINGARD, Edward Boarder Single M 18 1893 Apprentice Wheelwright London VIEW RG number: RG14 Piece: 4095 Reference: RG14PN4095 RG78PN158 RD50 SD3 ED3 SN126 Registration District: Tonbridge Sub District: Brenchley Enumeration District: 3 Parish: Brenchley Address: Matfield County: Kent

H.Wimshurst

From 1901 Census:

WIMSHURST, Catherine Head Widow F 53 1848 Charwoman

Chiddingstone, Kent VIEW

WIMSHURST, Harry Son M 14 1887 Errand Boy

Tunbridge Wells, Kent VIEW Piece: 755 Folio: 89 Page: 30 Registration District: Tonbridge Civil Parish: Tonbridge Wells Municipal Borough: Address: 14, Dukes Road, Tonbridge Wells County: Kent

J.H.Young

Name: John Young

Death Date: 25 Apr 1918

Enlistment Location: Southwark, Surrey

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery

Number: 59956

There's a few to be getting on with!

F.J.Haig

Possibly:

HAIG, James Head Married M 43 1868 Dairy Farmer Tranent Haddington VIEW

HAIG, Elizabeth Jane Wife Married13 years F 40 1871 Penshurst Kent VIEW

HAIG, Frederick James Son M 12 1899 School Aberley Haddington VIEW

HAIG, Molly Elizabeth Daughter F 9 1902 School Aberley Haddington VIEW

MERTON, Ivy Mildred Servant Single F 15 1896 General Servant Domestic Elham Kent VIEW

BENNETT, Harrey Servant Single M 23 1888 General Farm Maid Frant Sussex VIEW RG number: RG14 Piece: 4923 Reference: RG14PN4923 RG78PN213 RD73 SD2 ED16 SN80 Registration District: Ticehurst Sub District: Wadhurst Enumeration District: 16 Parish: Frant Address: Windmill Farm Frant County: Sussex

Mother's birthplace was Penshurst - close enough to get the name on the Tonbridge memorial?

For Edward George Colbear- Not convinced this is T. COLBEAR. I checked Ancestry and find no connection to Tunbridge Wells.His enlistment at Tonbridge is not conclusive enough proof that he is my man. No listings found for T Colbear but as you note its a possible nickname for Edward. Edward George Colbear only appears in 1901 and 1911 census in Essex where he was born and his parents were living in Essex at the time of his death. I have to say unless there is further proof of his connection to Tunbridge Wells that Edward George Colbear is the wrong fella.

Edward,

I think you're being a bit hasty in dismissing Edward George as T.Colbear. You're right that there is no conclusive proof, but then a lot can happen in three years from 1911 to 1914 and you have him enlisting in Tonbridge in 1914/15 so he's in the area then. Colbear is not a common surname, and most of the other Essex Colbears seem to have enlisted in Essex where they were living. Would it not make more sense that E.G. moved alone from Essex to T.Wells/Tonbridge for work but perhaps is just known locally as "Ted" and his work colleagues got him listed that way? I'd have him down as the probable candidate until proved otherwise.

Also in the period 1880-1901 there is only one T.Colbear listed as being born, but he dies in 1957.

Best regard,

Matthew

There are pension papers for MR/175093 Percy Charles Stone, ASC. He was a motor driver of 27 Thomas St, T Wells.

He never went abroad, and was discharged 27/6/1917 with sickness.

There is a death registered in Tonbridge for Percy C Stone Dec Qtr 1918 (aged 32 which matches the above man's birth year)