Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNAS 7th Squadron Handley Page Bomber 3122

micks

Hi all

I,m interested in the fate of the above mentioned bomber which was lost on the night of the 27/28 October 1917.

I understand that nine aircraft left the naval airstation at Dunkirk to attack Cortemarch,Lichtervelde and the german

airfields at Engel and St Denis Westrem.

I believe it was brought down after the attack on St Denis but I,m unable to find any information regarding the approximate location.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Micks

I could only find this, which you've probably seen, which reads as though they were shot down over Westrem airfield itself;

October 1917 - from Coudekerque Nos. 7(N) and 7A Sqns continued their joint operations in October 1917, paying special attention to bombing the docks at Bruges and the Zeebrugge lock gates, interspersed with other attacks on airfields and railways. On 27/28 October nine HPs left to bomb rail junctions at Cortemarck and Lichtervelde, and airfields at Engel and St Denis Westrem.

Over this last objective a 7A HP, 3122, crewed by FSL G. Andrews, LM G A Kent and 2/Lt W W Hutton RFC, was shot down.

http://www.207squadr.../ww1/hpo100.htm

Thanks IPT

Yes that,s the website that I obtained most of the acts from.

It does state that the aircraft was brought down during the attack on St Denis

however I,m yet to obtain additional information to corroborate it.

Micks

Not sure if it covers this period, but the book "Diary of a night bomber pilot in World War I" is based on the diary of a Naval 7/207 Squadron pilot, but I forget when he actually went overseas

207 ® Squadron is now part of 1 FTS at RAF Linton-on-Ouse, the station has a Memorial Room which covers both the base's wartime history, and the history of the units currently based their. There are contact details for its curator on the station website (he edited the book I referred to in my previous post)