Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E. W. East, Border Regiment?

Scritch

Hi,

There is an elusive name on Derby's General Post Office war memorial, that I am struggling to track down. I wondered if there was a kind soul out there who might be able to assist in tracking down an E. W. East, stated to have died with the Border Regiment. The only thing I know for certain is that he would have been employed in some capacity at Derby Post Office.

I have been unable to find anybody in the Border Regiment, South Wales Borderers or the KOSB with that name on Soldiers Died or the CWGC. There is a William Easte

http://www.cwgc.org/.../EASTE, WILLIAM

but I'm not sure that he had a Derby connection.

I have had a look at the 1911 Census index (I'm not currently subscribed to ancestry) and there is an Edward William East, born 1883, living in Belper. This may be him.

Knowing the expertise of members of this forum and the kind assistance I have received from the forum in the past, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that E. W. East will no longerremain elusive!

Many thanks and kind regards

Richard

There is in the British Postal Service Appointment Book for April 1913

an Edward W East appointed as a Postman in Derby

Eddie

There is in the British Postal Service Appointment Book for April 1913

"Register of Nomination Paper No Surname Christian Name Situation to which Nominated Place Minute No

54816 East Edward W P Man Derby E11970

Eddie

Thanks for that info Eddie, at least I can say for certain what his name was now. :)

Richard

In the 1909 PO book he was in Duffield Sorting Office Derby

Eddie

It follows then that the Edward William East living in the Belper registration district in the 1911 Census is the same man, as Duffield is just down the road from Belper. Cheers, I think I might be subscribing to Ancestry again!

1911 Census in Fisher Lane Duffield nr Derby Aged 28 Born in Lower Auting GlocsMarried to Kate Elizabeth (26)

Occupation Post Office GPO

Eddie

Courtesy of a Family Tree there is a William E East shown as being born in Derby and killed 11th March 1915, which fits with the one you found.

William E East; Birth Abt 1885 in pos: Derby. Death 11 March 1915 in France

CWGC (as you know)

Name: EASTE, WILLIAM. Rank: Private.

Service No: 6133. Date of Death: 11/03/1915.

Regiment/Service: Border Regiment. 2nd Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 19 and 20. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL

I just wonder if a transcriber added his initial to the surname, twisting it to EastE, W. M, rather than East, E. Wm....?

Medal Index Card: Name: W M Easte. Regiment or Corps: 2nd Border Regiment.

Regimental Number: 6133. Arrived in France: 25 November 1914, thus 1914 Star and British War and Victory medals.

Soldiers Died shows:-

Name: William Easte. Birth Place: Winchcombe, Glos. Residence: Winchcombe

Death Date: 11 Mar 1915. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Worcester

Rank: Private. Regiment: Border Regiment. Battalion: 2nd Battalion. Number: 6133

Type of Casualty: Killed in action. Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

which could tie back to his place of birth also in Gloucestershire..... but why enlist in Worcester????

Don't know if this gets you any closer!

Thanks for the detective work there KevinBattle, I think you might be onto something there. With a regimental number like that, I would assume he was a reservist, maybe he enlisted in Worcester as, looking at Google maps, it is very close to Winchcombe. I wonder if, after his discharge, he found work at the Post Office in Duffield, then Derby, before being called back to his regiment at the outbreak of the war.

1911 Census in Fisher Lane Duffield nr Derby Aged 28 Born in Lower Auting GlocsMarried to Kate Elizabeth (26)

Occupation Post Office GPO

Eddie

Thanks for checking the Census Eddie, does anybody know where Lower Auting might be, doesn't seem to be on the map? It would be convenient if it was near to Winchcombe!

Queen's South Africa Medal Roll for 1st Battalion Border Regiment records:

6133 Private EASTE, W. entitled to QSA with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, SA1901 and SA1902.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for checking the Census Eddie, does anybody know where Lower Auting might be, doesn't seem to be on the map? It would be convenient if it was near to Winchcombe!

It's not Lower Auting, it's Lower GUITING, more commonly referred to as Guiting Power, and yes, it is near Winchcombe.

Steve

Queen's South Africa Medal Roll for 1st Battalion Border Regiment records:

6133 Private EASTE, W. entitled to QSA with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, SA1901 and SA1902.

Regards

Steve

It's not Lower Auting, it's Lower GUITING, more commonly referred to as Guiting Power, and yes, it is near Winchcombe.

Steve

Brilliant, thanks Steve. I think with certainty E. W. East on the memorial and W. Easte on SD, CWGC and the QSA Medal Roll are one and the same. Many thanks for your time and all your help, Eddie, KevinBattle and Steve.

Richard

Well, I think the soldier records all match, so it seems he was a William Easte.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's the EW East on the Memorial, although the circumstantial evidence seems to link with William Easte.

Could it be that the transcription error was actually on the Memorial, changing EastE, William. to East, E. W. ?????

.... but then the Appointment Book Postman is clearly an Edward W East..........

The entry for QSA 1901&2 is hand written in capital letters with forname initials on the right hand side of the name columm. There are some single and two initial names all on the RH side. Ledger is clearly written as :-

EASTE W

Dont think hes the Postman

Would this EASTE be serving in the Boer War aged 18

Eddie