Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Civilian Medals

Digger

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. A relative died on HMS Fisgard ll on the 17th September, 1914. He was an Admiralty civilian usually working in Portsmouth docks. He is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Would his family received the Victory medal at the end of the war, or indeed any other medals, considering he was a civilian?

Hi Digger,

I think that the answer to your question is, no, your relative would not have received either the Victory Medal or the British War Medal or indeed any other campaign medal for that matter because he did not serve in a theatre of war and also he was a civilian.

Even if he had died as a result of enemy action whilst serving in Portsmouth Docks, then I am pretty certain that the answer would still be negative.

Hope that this helps.

Robert

Thank you, very helpful.

Some civilians were entitled to Medals during WW1 if they served on board a Naval Vessel at sea for short periods of time, whilst carrying out repairs etc. I am aware of some 1914-15 Star British War Medal and Victory Medal groups (but more often you come across British War Medals) which are named up "FOR SERVICE WITH THE R.N."

There is an online roll for these guys, but as I am rushing to go to the Farnborough Airshow, if no one else posts a link, I will do that later.

Regards

Sepoy

Hi Digger,

I have now checked HMS Fisgard 11 and it appears that she was a Battleship built in 1869. She foundered on 17/9/14--so it may be that your relative would have been entitled to a medal or medals. I had assumed that from your posting he was working on a ship in the docks when he died--this may now be not the case?

Reading further it appears that she was a training ship and sank whilst under tow when 5 miles off Portland--21 of the 64 crew were lost.

I am still uncertain about any medal entitlement.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Thank you everyone for all your help. Very much appreciated.

His name was Frederick William Abraham, and he was a skilled labourer in Portsmouth Docks. He was 38 years old when he died.

Hi Digger,

Although he does not appear on Sepoy's link, someone may be able to help further now that you have posted his full name.

Any takers?

Robert

• 1 month later...
Guest LisaMarieAbraham

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. A relative died on HMS Fisgard ll on the 17th September, 1914. He was an Admiralty civilian usually working in Portsmouth docks. He is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Would his family received the Victory medal at the end of the war, or indeed any other medals, considering he was a civilian?

Hi Seems we are related because Frederick Abraham is my Great Grandad , Im also researching the fisguard 11 it would be nice to have a chat .

He is commemorated by the CWGC.

ABRAHAM, FREDERICK WILLIAM

Date of Death: 17/09/1914

Regiment/Service: H.M. Dockyard H.M.S. "Fisgard II." (Portsmouth)

Panel Reference: 7.

Memorial: PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Frederick and Caroline Abraham, of Commercial Rd., Portsmouth.